Hacking Is Sky3DS unblockable?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only people in a position to answer this would be proper dev's who have actually investigated how sky3ds works, only public word we have from such dev's is that it would be easily blockable.....why nintendo haven't blocked it yet? who knows, maybe its not as straight forward as the dev though, or maybe nintendo are just lazy....or maybe just maybe they have been busy prepping for international n3ds launch etc

only time will tell

They're probably waiting for a bigger pool of people to ban.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banning people doesn't stop them from pirating, just from playing online. Which is kind of a staple of piracy. Very few CFWs allowed online play. The ps3 has been fighting for years to keep consoles from getting banned. Same as the 360. PC gamers could rarely play pirated copies online. I can promise you all that Nintendo counts it as no victory to keep a few people from playing online. Its like letting people steal cars but limiting them to 50mph. Inconvenient, but it won't stop anyone.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banning people doesn't stop them from pirating, just from playing online. Which is kind of a staple of piracy. Very few CFWs allowed online play. The ps3 has been fighting for years to keep consoles from getting banned. Same as the 360. PC gamers could rarely play pirated copies online. I can promise you all that Nintendo counts it as no victory to keep a few people from playing online. Its like letting people steal cars but limiting them to 50mph. Inconvenient, but it won't stop anyone.

Not talking a simple online ban im talking across the board NNID ban, System ban, E shop access denied,update locked system the works.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Until people set their clocks back a day. Or month. Or year.

That's no biggie. The 3DS could quite easily make a note of the date the firmware was installed and calculate the difference between that date and the presently set date.

Kohmie's idea is actually a pretty good one.

Radxical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said in the other thread, I think the public header banning acted as a deterrence for anyone who owns either flashcart. There's a crazy amount of people who dropped out of the 3ds flashcart market for fear of getting banned.

It's not the final solution by Nintendo to destroy piracy, but it's big enough that I think they'll stop for a while and revisit it if 3ds piracy becomes a much bigger threat again.

Remember, you guys here are educated. You guys here in gbatemp, in maxconsole, etc... sky3ds or gateway.... have more knowledge of flashcarts than the "average owner" of those flashcarts. You guys are "safer" than the other guys, because you guys are aware of the latest technological exploits, advancements, and preventative measures. If you guys have read all of the horror stories behind Nintendo's bans and are still here, then I think you guys should have nothing to worry about. You're all brave to be in a thread talking about the future, chins up, beckoning Nintendo and saying "Look, we survived your bans. What else do you have?"

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say the strong majority of Gateway users are using public releases or CIA's, its a piracy tool just the same as SKY.

Gateway rom patcher removes header information to "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" or you can inject your own header so your point is moot

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They probably won't do speed checks. They don't allow devs to do that themselves AFAIK.

They don't need to allow developers to do that. Timing checks are executed by the firmware. But then again, I don't know how much of Nintys firmware is actually being active in the background when launching/running a game.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not talking a simple online ban im talking across the board NNID ban, System ban, E shop access denied,update locked system the works.

Denying eshop access would be stupid (though Nintendo is pretty stupid lately). Even if just a slim chance someone would download roms then still buy stuff from the store, it's cutting off a potential customer. Totally different from banning someone from free online gameplay.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Very true. Also, once a console is banned, there's really no incentive left to go legit, as not even legit cartridges will be able to use online features. Not the smartest implementation by Nintendo, but one wouldn't expect much from them by now.

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
In theory nothing is unblockable. As I think it's even possible to ban every cartridge from working in the 3DS by a firmware update.

Also, by the amount of panic in certain forums in regards to banning, a lot of people care.

xrM

Trophies
XP
Country
Well according to a new thread the 9.6 update blocked Sky3DS...So that pretty much answers this entire thread. Need confirmation first though. My 3DS hasn't come back from being NAND modded yet so I can't even check if 9.6 update even exists... :P
Every new update blocks sky3ds. Until it doesn't, then you just increment the update by 0.1 and claim it blocks sky3ds again..:rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol