Hacking Is it possible to block system update via hosts file (on a virtual network)?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, well some of us want to be safe and others may be sorry later on. Although accidental updates more likely happen to those who let others play on their 3DS or are not careful enough themselves )ie. more or less the type who would read stuff like this thread only after it is too late), I'll give you that.

Anyways, has anyone tested this method yet? I'll do it myself over the weekend, and I'll also post detailed instructions into the tutorials section after it is tested. Not being able to access the eShop with this method as well as with any other update blocking method, btw, seems to be a given. The eShop won't start if the update server is not reachable, even if you are actually on the newest FW version.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, I tried it myself. Using the additional host entries from post #1 (and the virtual WiFi setup instructions from the same post, of course), everything seems well. The eShop & system data transfer don't work (you'll get an error message), because both try to check the update server first. The update is not downloaded via Spotpass - I left the 3DS connected and in standby for ~1h to verify.

Now, there is just one more thing left that I'm understandably too scared about, being on SysNAND and not having access to EmuNAND: Actually trying to initiate the update via System Settings.

So, anyone, if you are on EmuNAND, and also have a recent backup of it, could you try the update from system settings? It should fail almost for sure, especially if you checked th eShop before and got the error message.

solveig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Soooo, I did everything, blocked hosts and all, that was pretty simple. Thank you!
Have a noob question though. My n3ds has a working wi-fi connection from router. To test all this, should I now add a new wi-fi connection on my n3ds? This PC hotspot adapter one. I mean, I didnt block ROUTER's hosts, right? Just my PC adapter?

Reactions: d0k3

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Soooo, I did everything, blocked hosts and all, that was pretty simple. Thank you!
Have a noob question though. My n3ds has a working wi-fi connection from router. To test all this, should I now add a new wi-fi connection on my n3ds? This PC hotspot adapter one. I mean, I didnt block ROUTER's hosts, right? Just my PC adapter?

Thanks for testing! That method only blocks stuff that goes through the virtual WiFi connection on your PC, so you need to make sure that the 3DS connects with the virtual WiFi router only. I'd suggest you delete the other WiFi connection from your 3DS and add the virtual WiFi (your PC adapter) instead.

One more thing, though, if you have no easy means of going back (EmuNAND and NAND backup for it) don't test updating from System Settings. If you do, however, testing this would be greatly appreciated. Make sure you update only on EmuNAND. And test if eShop fails reliably first, too.

I plan to refine this method so safe Homepass will be possible in the future as well.

solveig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks for testing! That method only blocks stuff that goes through the virtual WiFi connection on your PC, so you need to make sure that the 3DS connects with the virtual WiFi router only. I'd suggest you delete the other WiFi connection from your 3DS and add the virtual WiFi (your PC adapter) instead.

One more thing, though, if you have no easy means of going back (EmuNAND and NAND backup for it) don't test updating from System Settings. If you do, however, testing this would be greatly appreciated. Make sure you update only on EmuNAND. And test if eShop fails reliably first, too.

I plan to refine this method so safe Homepass will be possible in the future as well.

Well, actually I dont even have Cubic Ninja now, that means my console is still pure.)) Temporary. Just being paranoid I guess.
And kinda off-topic (and noob of course), but internet connection IS required for using CN as an exploit, right? Does it mean it has some kind of risk of downloading update? At which point you even NEED internet connection? scanning the code?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, actually I dont even have Cubic Ninja now, that means my console is still pure.)) Temporary. Just being paranoid I guess.
And kinda off-topic (and noob of course), but internet connection IS required for using CN as an exploit, right? Does it mean it has some kind of risk of downloading update? At which point you even NEED internet connection? scanning the code?
Yup, that's off topic, but no problem ;). Actually, the automatic update will only be downloaded via Spotpass, that means if your 3DS is in standby and it is connected with a WiFi network. Also, you will still be asked for confirmation on installing it and the method described in this thread protects you from the automatic downloading. So, for an extra layer of safety, I suggest you use the virtual WiFi internet connection you just set up for the Cubic Ninja exploit.

solveig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If it hepls, I tried to test my new wi-fi connection, with blocked conntest.nintendowifi.net
aaand all 3 times I tried to test, nothing happened. When I removed the host, the test worked like a charm. Guess it proves it works. Still, I kinda chiken out to wait and see if there will be an update nag.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If it hepls, I tried to test my new wi-fi connection, with blocked conntest.nintendowifi.net
aaand all 3 times I tried to test, nothing happened. When I removed the host, the test worked like a charm. Guess it proves it works. Still, I kinda chiken out to wait and see if there will be an update nag.
Yup, that's correct. If you enable blocking conntest.nintendowifi.net, the WiFi connection test will fail, but you'll be able to use the internet connection regardless.

As for the update nag, the local update is normally the first thing that's downloaded via Spotpass - I left Spotpass on for ~1h and there's still no nag, so blocking it works, too. If it does come through, though, that's not so bad. You can still get rid of it:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-delete-predownloaded-update-spotpass-nag.381489/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up