Apple Iphone 4 update questions

Nismax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a hand me down Verizon phone that is sitting on ios 4.2.8 which I believe is stock, I don't think it's ever been updated.

Is it in any possible way to update to an ios version other than 7.1 or whatever the most recent version is? Either via jailbreaking or otherwise forcing an unsigned ispw install?

From what I've read, it is supposedly impossible if there are not "blobs" from a previous install of the version I want to use. I have attempted a 6.3.1 install via itunes which returned the ineligible error. I then used Tinyumbrella and ran the server, itunes then did proceed past the point where the error pops up, but there was no progress with the install after that. Just sat there at "preparing".

I want some apps that require a higher version, but also do not want to gimp the phone in the process. Do apps on Cydia have the same ios version requirements as is the case in the App store? If not, I suppose I will just jailbreak it.

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a hand me down Verizon phone that is sitting on ios 4.2.8 which I believe is stock, I don't think it's ever been updated.

Is it in any possible way to update to an ios version other than 7.1 or whatever the most recent version is? Either via jailbreaking or otherwise forcing an unsigned ispw install?

From what I've read, it is supposedly impossible if there are not "blobs" from a previous install of the version I want to use. I have attempted a 6.3.1 install via itunes which returned the ineligible error. I then used Tinyumbrella and ran the server, itunes then did proceed past the point where the error pops up, but there was no progress with the install after that. Just sat there at "preparing".

I want some apps that require a higher version, but also do not want to gimp the phone in the process. Do apps on Cydia have the same ios version requirements as is the case in the App store? If not, I suppose I will just jailbreak it.

MAYBE it has been jailbroken in the past. Download Tinyumbrella and check to see if cydia has downloaded blobs
If u dont have any blobs, then im afraid 7.1 is your only option. Btw, download ifaith and save your currently installed 4.2.8 blobs with ifaith so u can downgrade to that version whenever u want.

I dont recall if 4.2.8 is untethered, 7.1 is only tethered at the moment.

Nismax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAYBE it has been jailbroken in the past. Download Tinyumbrella and check to see if cydia has downloaded blobs
If u dont have any blobs, then im afraid 7.1 is your only option. Btw, download ifaith and save your currently installed 4.2.8 blobs with ifaith so u can downgrade to that version whenever u want.

I dont recall if 4.2.8 is untethered, 7.1 is only tethered at the moment.

Thanks, I didn't know I could downgrade from 7.1 (even with blobs). I will make sure to back them up before updating or jailbreaking. Just did a quick search and it seems anything lower than 4.3.3 is untethered. So I will probably just jailbreak it first just to see if I can get desired apps on such an old iOS.

BTW: It was my Mom's phone, no way it's been jailbroken, she never even updated it:P

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
Never hurts to check if u got blobs with tinyumbrella.

4.2.8 was a release specifically for cdma phones i believe, i never got the chance to use it, i was one 4.2.1 (untethered) then updated to 4.3.3 (untethered).

But yea, if u feel like updating , make sure u grab your 4.2.8 blobs that are installed on your current flash. Only ifaith can do this.

I personally would stay on 4.2.8 too and untether it. Ios 7 is a bit slow on iphone 4 unless your jailbroken and install something like springtomize.

Either decision, update or stay on 4.2.8, grab your blobs in cass something bad happens and u have to restore.

But wait, about a year ago, apple implemented legacy downloads for ppl on older ios versions, if u try to download something with your apple id on the appstore..

Dont u get a popup with something similar asked to u when u try to DL something?

Nismax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually did check for the blobs while attempting to update to 6.3 via TU server deal. Nothing showed up, not even 4.2.8.

But I did go ahead and back up the 4.2 blob with ifaith as suggested. I then went ahead with the jailbreak, but that was rather pointless. So I went ahead and updated to 7.1, got my Google Voice apps. Lets see, $50-$100 a month for a cell plan, or free voice and text over wi-fi on a free iphone. Tough choice...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it