ROM Hack Interesting stuff in Contra 4...

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Wouldn't be suprising if the emulator used in Contra 4 actually is a DS Port of PocketNES. Konami used it before for a few GBA games and loopy said that that's exactly why he made PocketNES public domain. There's a thread about that somewhere buried in the PocketHeaven boards.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
damn that is teh awesome find. I love to take apart roms all the time these days to see if i can find anything interesting in them, but i hadnt taken the chance to check out contra4 yet.

hilarious that they did this though.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Wouldn't be suprising if the emulator used in Contra 4 actually is a DS Port of PocketNES. Konami used it before for a few GBA games and loopy said that that's exactly why he made PocketNES public domain. There's a thread about that somewhere buried in the PocketHeaven boards.
Got that a little bit wrong, Konami wasn't involved in using PocketNES (yet?), it's Jaleco, Atlus and Hudson. Pocket Heaven threads here, here, here and here.

This does not (!!!) mean that this is a PocketNES port. I'm just saying it's a possibility. Someone should check that...

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This game is just too hard for me. what have modern games turned me into?

Same here...
cry.gif

The boss in Level 2 makes me cry.

~Nero

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Tanks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I find a compatability list for NESDS, I think I'll write one up for this method. Mind you though that there is no save function and the sound is sub-par.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just take your time guys and remember the angles where you can shoot and not get hit. Move veryyy slowly
tongue.gif

Got up to level 2 boss on hard, can't get any futher.

that's awesome about the emulator discovery. can anyone test if it's the same as one of the homebrews?

Tanks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've started testing roms with the EMU.

Punchout-no
SMB3-yes
wario's woods-no
Puyopuyo-yes
SMWnes (pirate)-no
Double Dragon II-yes
Predator-yes

I've also figured out how to text hack Contra 4 so for fun I've been changing menu names as I've been inserting new roms to test. I've also found out how to display graphics other than the .ANM files. I must say this game is a rom hackers dream!
tongue.gif

EDIT

I finally got that friend of mine to help me out with the .SCN files. I was right, they are palette files. I also figured out that the .TS8 files are sprites too. You just need to view them in another codec.

Viewing the submarine boss sprite (a .TS8 file) with a correct palette.

I'll release a how to guide for this eventually. I just want to make sure I've found that this method works for all sprites.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
you could request cracker to make you a trainer. Of course it depends whether he decides to accept or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative