2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
And do you think Gateway would have put so much effort to achieve the multi-rom loader, EmuNAND etc. if they weren't facing competition from other cards such as MT? Do you think Gateway would have magically gained .cia support if it wasn't for the CFW being leaked? Without such pressures forcing Gateway to keep up, we'd still have a single rom cart and no sound in homebrew.

I love my Gateway, but they're not doing it just because they're nice guys - flashcards are a moneymaker. If there are open source, free alternatives then Gateway will be forced to improve their own support to stay ahead. Everybody wins.

I never said anything about my view in the matter. I'm just stating the facts, someone expecting $€£¥₩ will work much harder for it than someone volunteering. A lot of the ppl in the community are super ungrateful with their 'gimme ROMz' then they get spoon fed and just leave wondering why it wasn't much easier.

Also, why did all those gw features happen? Because they were at threat of losing money+it could be that some of the features were inspired by other exploits. Another thing is that those features promote new buyers. I know a lot of people skipped on the 4.5 exploit because of the '1 rom per card' rule.

And all those nice guys of the scene are doing it at their own slow pace, worried not to brick their consoles and stuff. Ppl expecting money at the end will be less worried of losing a console in the first place because they will eventually recoup their losses.

Reactions: VinsCool

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
This is why the 3ds scene is such shit. I've modded my ps3, xbox (original), Wii, Ps2 (via fmcb memory card) and psp without buying anything, and those exploits were always updated promptly and effectively. But those communities weren't complete shit and people actually worked together. Even DS cards had a billion clones which drove the price down; for the 3ds people want clone makers to die in a fire. Only the 3ds scene has to rely on a drm card to expect any progress. There is too much bullshit in the 3ds scene for there to ever be real progress.

Times are changing, look at the PS Vita scene lol.
tbh, I don't mind needing a flashcart BUT scrolling through 3 pages of bickering, leaks, drama and trolling on every homebrew app thread to get to the devs news and thoughts is getting old fast.
Not to mention that fucking hype train :O
This scene's a mess.

So I half agree with you, people work better together, flashcarts are cool and seperate things. I will say though...
NO POLITICS ON THE DANCE FLOOR!!!!!

This though, if it really really happens (excuse my cynicism but it's the 3ds scene...), something like this and Big Red could solve every issue for everyone. (peeps are still gonna bitch though)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The issues with the Vita scene are different, in fairness. Clearly the protection schemes and encryptions are much more difficult to crack than the 3DS. The flashcard manufacturers that people love so much aren't having much luck cracking those either.

If people doing it for free only do things at 'their own slow pace', then somebody forgot to tell the lot over in the Wii scene.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
I don't understand why people are so concerned about the fate of a flashcard manufacturer. Surely it is better for the scene if exploits are open and available to all so they can be updated by the scene, rather than the whole scene relying on the whim of the flashcard manufacturers? If it wasn't for sceners like Smealum, homebrew would still be limited to no sound and access to bearly any services due to Gateway's artificial restrictions.

Besides if people are so concerned, maybe the existance of a newer CFW would force Gateway to up their game with new features. Yay competition etc.

Because of the work involved, i think people don't even realize the extent that went into Gateway. They didn't just find the DS profile exploit and boom they had a product. The people behind it reversed the whole system from the beginning, and then released a multi-stage exploit for 4.5, just slightly slower than Nintendo could patch it.

Without money in the scene, there might be no actual method because it's actually very complex to make and release for free. At least, these days... the systems and their constant firmware updates make it difficult to pull off this kind of product.. i'm surprised they have done two full hacks of 4.5 and 9.2 while retaining support for nearly everything. No flashcart has had this kind of work into it.. (unless you know about PS3 dongles).

Sky3DS would have turned up at some point i think and been patched sooner, in a GW-free world. i'm pretty sure they know exactly how to do that method in the first place for a long long time. But it's harder to protect and it's not even an actual hack.

Btw i don't think the CFW leak 'made' them work on anything.. the 9.2 release looked like it's intentionally made to counter Sky3DS and support New3DS (i know it's not complete yet). Despite Sky3DS being a piece of shit it's going to sell like mad, especially in piracy heavy countries where it's simply sold as 10 in 1 carts or whatever. GW is not a good solution for piracy vendors particularly. I've wondered if they might actually do a clone mode or a separate cart. I don't know the business behind it but you gotta imagine China and various other places is actually where these things sell the most.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...If there isnt a decided name/code name for the exploit, the first thing to come to mind since it uses gateway, Call it something ironic?

OpentheGate
GateKey
UnlocktheGate
The Back Gate Exploit

Yeah your right these are terrible :unsure:

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
If people doing it for free only do things at 'their own slow pace', then somebody forgot to tell the lot over in the Wii scene.

You can't compare the wii scene to the 3ds scene. The wii scene was much much larger. Much bigger userbase.

Bigger userbase, will always mean more ppl out there looking to hack it.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok.. but the progress of this? Cfw palatine have release a launcher compatible with old ds hack.. why not do the same with the browser hack, ?

pdaboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok.. but the progress of this? Cfw palatine have release a launcher compatible with old ds hack.. why not do the same with the browser hack, ?

Maybe hes working on it but not announced it anywhere so he doesn't keep getting asked "when is it going to be released?"

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This is why the 3ds scene is such shit. I've modded my ps3, xbox (original), Wii, Ps2 (via fmcb memory card) and psp without buying anything, and those exploits were always updated promptly and effectively. But those communities weren't complete shit and people actually worked together. Even DS cards had a billion clones which drove the price down; for the 3ds people want clone makers to die in a fire. Only the 3ds scene has to rely on a drm card to expect any progress. There is too much bullshit in the 3ds scene for there to ever be real progress.
It's entirely possible to make hacking a 3DS similar to hacking a PSP, it's just that history has been carried over and we have to depend on flashcards, even though it is not required with CFW and devmenu.
The reason that the DS lite needed a flashcard is because it had no I/O except that Game card slot, and they hacked it so you could load ROMs on a microSD card.
Then along comes the 3DS, the successor to the DS, and a flashcard is released. At first, it was needed for 1 ROM per SD card and such, but now you should be able to get the same features without paying a dime. But it's just that development of such tools at such a rate isn't free, that's why we have to depend on flashcard manufacturers.

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those asking about my prev post. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_System_Flaws#Stale_.2F_Rejected_Efforts : 3DS browser, 2^32 characters long string: this is similar to the vulnerability fixed here, concat-large-strings-crash2.html triggers a crash which is about the same as the one triggered by a 2^32 string. Most of the time this vulnerability will cause a memory page permissions fault, since the WebKit code attempts to copy the string text data to the output buffer located in read-only CRO heap memory. The only difference between a crash triggered by a 2^32 string and the concat-large-strings-crash2.html crash is at the former copies the string data using the original string length(like 1 text character for "x", 4 for "xxxx") while the latter attempts to copy >12MB. In some very rare cases a thread separate from the string data-copy thread will crash, this might be exploitable. However, this is mostly useless since it rarely crashes this way.

So, it was known, but unable to be used until now.

Reactions: MrJason005

desertwarior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
as much as i want a free scene without these damn DRM money sucking flashcarts i have to admit that the handheld consoles are not appealing anymore to homebrew developers only flashcart companies are motivated enough to progress ,the mobile market totally fucked us up lovers of the handheld consoles , if i want to create an app for example i would think of a mobile platform first and maybe i'd be able to monetize my hard work so why bother with a very weak and very locked devices that i can't even program for out of the box due to "security" like the 3ds and the Vita and due to lack of tools and documentations? while having open platforms like Android why would i go to try to hack the system? where i have better and more powerful already opened very documented option! and with the possibility of gaining money from my work , that's why we end up having Devs who hack the 3ds for themselves"for the sake of it"< so gateway and similar companies are our only option right now.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

It's the money that's been pushing it forward.

cc-economics101.gif

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the mobile market totally fucked us up lovers of the handheld consoles
If anything, it made it better. You can now buy portable devices that will emulate everything up to Dreamcast and PSP in fullspeed and HD graphics. If by "Us lovers of the handheld consoles" you mean pirates then I see your point.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the money that's been pushing it forward.

I don't care if someone wants to be paid for their work, thats what makes the world go around, but everyone wants to be a diva about it these days. There is not attempt at teamwork for free things, and when people charge for stuff the scene throws a hissy fit about how its never good enough or its a clone or whatever shit that nobody cared about 5 years ago.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't care if someone wants to be paid for their work, thats what makes the world go around, but everyone wants to be a diva about it these days. There is not attempt at teamwork for free things, and when people charge for stuff the scene throws a hissy fit about how its never good enough or its a clone or whatever shit that nobody cared about 5 years ago.
More like social justice warrior divas. They pull out a 'piracy is bad' speech straight outta their asses while they beg for followers on social networks.

desertwarior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
If anything, it made it better. You can now buy portable devices that will emulate everything up to Dreamcast and PSP in fullspeed and HD graphics. If by "Us lovers of the handheld consoles" you mean pirates then I see your point.
virtual controls is not my thing , i don't enjoy the experience you get from mobile devices , i don't want to connect a Bluetooth joypad to my mobile , only the Nvidia shield is tempting to me which was made by a video game related company ,but no piracy is not the only thing i care about , I've bought many games and i've supported developers and i enjoy having physical copies of my favorite games , but there are those games that normally i won't spend my money on hence i don't play them , with piracy i give them a chance so yes piracy is a big part of why i have interest in the scene , but the mobile market is an issue to Nintendo as well it effects the official Nintendo/Sony sales not just the homebrew scene .
by the way i'm not complaining , i'm just saying that Gateway is keeping this scene alive due to the lack of interested Devs in it because of the mobile market .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I went to the drive thru lady hands me me receipt go up to the 2nd window same lady hands me my...