Gaming If you are tired of free low quality mobile games, then you should start paying for good mobile games.

Project68K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too many times I've seen people decry the quality of mobile games, and the amount of ads, and micro transactions present in mobile games, but when good paid mobile games come out, people are suddenly too broke to buy them. If we had a bigger culture of BUYING mobile products with good quality, rather than choosing something free and then complaining about bad quality apps being more popular, mobile games would be in a better place.

Reactions: Taleweaver

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No, paying for them will not help more than to get rid of ads. The market have learned that microtransactions works. Low quality games is a because the appstores are not curated.

Reactions: Skv0ra

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The problem is mostly that porting is fairly cheap and everyone already expects things to be free. As such, paid apps are fighting an uphill battle to get noticed.
Name 15 quality paid phone games that are not Monument Valley or ports.
I can easily name 15 great board game apps, but presuming that's cheating...

Reigns
Mini metro
Pocket city
Florence
The sequence (2 is better)
Umiro
Despotism 3k
Inbento
Golf peaks
Part time ufo (made by HAL laboratories, iirc)
Gorogoa
Hexologic
Ticket to earth
Cosmic express
Kensho
Push, kalak and others by this designer

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
The problem is mostly that porting is fairly cheap and everyone already expects things to be free. As such, paid apps are fighting an uphill battle to get noticed.

Reigns
Mini metro
Pocket city
Florence
Umiro
Despotism 3k
Inbento
Golf peaks
Gorogoa
Hexologic
Ticket to earth
Cosmic express
Kensho
Mwd-U3xlezFO5iZSnmz-fUQw5z3GPyUxs5IeQzA76Cw.png

Weeeeell, looking at most of these they are simple puzzle games...

That doesn't mean they are bad games, it just means phones are not good for certain types of games.

The market is really aimed at casuals and people with little income.

Last edited by AutumnWolf,
Reactions: Skv0ra and Quore

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

Reigns
Mini metro
Pocket city
Florence
Umiro
Despotism 3k
Inbento
Golf peaks
Gorogoa
Hexologic
Ticket to earth
Cosmic express
Kensho
Never heard of them. Arkanoid vs Space invaders is cool tho.

Even with SOME decent premium games existing, it'll forever be a very niche market, since phone auditory is hypercasual. It's your mom 3-row enthusiast or you silly nephews with zero attention span that thinks PUBG is an actual shooter game. They fine with free crap, while crapmakers are fishing for whales.

It's like... you don't expect Fata Morgana visual novel to become more people than Call of Duty just because it's has better writing.

Reactions: Skv0ra

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
View attachment 363655
Weeeeell, looking at most of these they are simple puzzle games...

That doesn't mean they are bad games, it just means phones are not good for certain types of games.

The market is really aimed at casuals and people with little income.
That goes without saying: the lack of buttons mean you can't do twitch-styled gameplay (well... Not to the point where it's actually fun), and the smaller screen is further diminished by the fact you've got to touch it.

It's more than just the market, if you ask me. Where you game has an influence on how you game. Like... I find myself playing different games from my steam deck than on my pc.
The'low income' is a market approach: the lower your hardware requirement, the larger your potential audience. Okay, and the cheaper to make, i presume.

Though i think we're thinking alike, I want to stress that casual doesn't mean easy. Games like the sequence and santorini get pretty fucking tough, and I consider myself... Not dumb.
Post automatically merged:

Never heard of them. Arkanoid vs Space invaders is cool tho.
True. More so: i had to check my own purchase history for most of them. But when not talking franchises (eg: Rayman jungle run) , the marketing is pretty much nill.

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: niomi

Project68K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That goes without saying: the lack of buttons mean you can't do twitch-styled gameplay (well... Not to the point where it's actually fun), and the smaller screen is further diminished by the fact you've got to touch it.

It's more than just the market, if you ask me. Where you game has an influence on how you game. Like... I find myself playing different games from my steam deck than on my pc.
The'low income' is a market approach: the lower your hardware requirement, the larger your potential audience. Okay, and the cheaper to make, i presume.

Though i think we're thinking alike, I want to stress that casual doesn't mean easy. Games like the sequence and santorini get pretty fucking tough, and I consider myself... Not dumb.
Post automatically merged:

True. More so: i had to check my own purchase history for most of them. But when not talking franchises (eg: Rayman jungle run) , the marketing is pretty much nill.

I truly believe most first/third person shooters or 3d platformers can be done without a controller on mobile phones just using some sort of gyroscope for moving the character and the camera depending on whether you rotate, or move the phone at a certain angle.

AutumnWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I truly believe most first/third person shooters or 3d platformers can be done without a controller on mobile phones just using some sort of gyroscope for moving the character and the camera depending on whether you rotate, or move the phone at a certain angle.
That sounds pretty awful...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Could be. I didn't play those on my gpd xd+, and I don't play them now on my steam deck. They're not my preference anymore with decent controls, so i just don't personally want them on my phone. Let alone wanting to pay for them. But that's just me. :)

But why are you talking hypothetically? Classic doom, call of duty and pubg have mobile ports, and that was just me quickly googling. How do they fare?

AutumnWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
But why are you talking hypothetically? Classic doom, call of duty and pubg have mobile ports, and that was just me quickly googling. How do they fare?
Not great

Not saying good controls are impossible to achieve on mobile, I think Crazy Taxi on mobile plays the best out of any other version

Double tapping to boost and to drift

It's just mwah, bootiful

But they had to go and put ads on the thing

Blegh

niomi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't pay much for mobile games because in gaming I like actual buttons, hate cold slabs. I'd rather carry a separate device, usually GBA, than some kind of controller-like phone peripheral.
The exception to this is fruit ninja, which is uniquely satisfying on the slab.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Reigns
Mini metro
Pocket city
Florence
Umiro
Despotism 3k
Inbento
Golf peaks
Gorogoa
Hexologic
Ticket to earth
Cosmic express
Kensho
Please list the board games. I have an old Surface laptop I’m turning into an interactive board game platform. Since Windows 11 now runs Android apps and the Surface has a touch screen, I’m thinking this would be perfect for a combination of good Windows and Android board games.

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
Possible, but normally bad implemented and calibrated.

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to download the pirated versions of paid games anyway. Not worth the money when you can get everything for free especially crappy mobile games 😆

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Please list the board games. I have an old Surface laptop I’m turning into an interactive board game platform. Since Windows 11 now runs Android apps and the Surface has a touch screen, I’m thinking this would be perfect for a combination of good Windows and Android board games.
Sure thing. your mileage might vary, but I've gotten quite some good to great value out of the following (note that most have a fairly low cost of entry):

(roughly ranked from lowest to highest):

Cat lady: it's pink and with a cutesy theme...but actually works as a game. Many quality of life things to shoot for as well
kingdom builder: pretty outdated and clunky, but still functional. It can get pretty addiction once you have the rules down. A sort of strange 'go' variant
explorers: somewhat similar to kingdom builder, but multiplayer solitaire. Fun and breezy, but nothing to sink your teeth in
Mystic vale: deck building in which you upgrade the cards. Very beautiful, and with a push your lucke element
Ticket to ride: easy to learn, fun to play. One of my girlfriend's favorite apps on her phone
Terraforming mars: it works, it's functional (on my end...other reviewers have other opinions)...but I just don't like the game that much, no matter how hyped it is.
Indian summer: a tile laying game. It's good, but somewhat bland
Tsuro: a fun party game...but as a result I don't see the point to play against the AI. It'ss something to share with others (which works better with the real board game)
One deck dungeon: interesting dice roller/rpg game. Not too different from dicey dungeons. It's expansive, but not really my genre.
Lords of waterdeep: tbh I prefer stone age as simple worker placement, but that only exist(ed?) on iOS. It's not a bad game and shows the mechanics, and if you're a d&d fan I guess it's also a plus. Still: not my favorite.
Isle of skye: think carcassonne with a bidding element. I'm terrible at bidding which is why I wouldn't rate it that much. But an interesting game by any means
Cottage garden: another tile layer. Sort of light, interesting and fun. Middle of the road, if you ask me.
Sagrada: dice chucking and assigning them into positions. Abstract but beautiful. Works well on a phone.
Paperback: deck building in a scrabble game. For the wordy-fans.
Onirim: single player solitaire card game. Retail version has more "dlc" included, but the base game and at least two DLC's are worth it (plus: the base game is iirc still free). Theme might be divisive, but I think it's awesome. Plays best on a phone, though.
Star realms: another free one. i admit it's addicting and fun. Main reason I quit playing is that my favorite game company (temple gates) released their own version shortly after.
Yellow & Yangtze: absolutely top notch quality game (especially when compared to the clunky and very old tigris & euphrates). But it's a tactical game in which the tension rises up quickly. The bots are defeatable, but this game gets so tense that I don't like playing it anymore.
Root: from the same makers as Y&Y. It's a tough game to learn (one faction plays a turn based wargame, the other a programming game, the third a sort of guerilla warfare and the fourth an RPG), but the game does a good job. To the point where even board game enthusiasts refer to the app to learn it.
Raiders of the north sea: nice thematic worker placement game about gathering vikings and plundering. can't really say why it didn't grab me more than it did.
Splendor: easy to teach, kind of hard to truly master. The game's a staple in the hobby world.
Onitama: another free one. It's like chess, but with fewer pieces and the twist that when you move a piece, the "how to move your piece" card you used is passed to your opponent. A must if you like chess but are short on time.
Santorini: very simple abstract game: move one of your pieces, then build next to its destination, reach the third floor before your opponent. Extremely tactical but beautiful. And that's without the God powers that make the game even more endlessly variable. The app comes with DLC for the gods (IIRC the base game is free), and an entire campaign. But...I probably suck at it, because the AI beats me at even lower levels of play.
Istanbul: 16 positions in a 4x4 grid. All players run around on those, picking up and placing down workers to take the associated action. It's a race to...erm...4? 5? 7? some diamonts, in any case. Works like a charm and a sweet (albeit strange) race game.
Carcassonne: I only played an older version, but I presume the current (asmodee) one is equally good if not better: lay down a tile, attempt to control the part that gets the most points. I've played this when waiting for a movie to start with my gf.
Jaipur: a two player game about buying and selling goods. not that hard to learn, and having played the board game since: the app is not only a whole lot less fiddly, it also has an entire campaign/game built around it.
Dominion: without a doubt the best free app you'll find. The base game has enough variability to play for multiple hours, and unless they changed, they rotate one of the many DLC's out for free every couple of days. This is THE deck builder that started it all. Oh, and temple gates always makes quality designs AND great AI's.
Hardback: like paperback, a deck builder and scrabble combo. This one uses factions (like star realms), so which letter to pick up in which faction matters. It's more gamer-ish, but a blast. I bought the board game just to play it with Dutch words.
Roll for the galaxy: would be higher if temple gates came around to releasing the DLC, but it's still a great game. A weird one to learn, I give you that. But learn it from a youtube vid, try it some times and keep at it. I promise you that after some plays you'll love it.
Shards of infinity: that better star realms I was talking about. Learning what to buy and what not is key. As with roll, I want the expansions added (IIRC it now has three. So what's keeping these? :( ).
Burgle bros: Ocean's eleven the board game. You and your bros (it's a coop game) sneak into a building, avoid traps, break open the safe and try to remain uncaught. Absolutely brilliant.
Race for the galaxy: favorite board game app hands down. Best app, in fact. I admit learning's not an easy task, as it relies on multiple icons that only become clear after some repeated plays. And what you're doing is placing cards from your hand by discarding others, so there are some tough dilemma's to face. But once you start to come to terms with the rules, there's a bottomless amount of depth. I've played it hundreds of times, and I've heard from others who range in the thousands.
I wouldn't try it with all the expansions right away, but the base game itself has enough to keep you hooked for very long.

Not really tried (learning a game from an app is...not my cup of tea), but I've heard great things of the following:

Twilight struggle (2 player wargame. Played the RL version, but I'm not as blown away by it as my gaming group)
Pandemic (works single player for obvious reasons. Might be harder to find, as it's delisted on a few platforms)
Aeon's end (should try it more but wasn't a fan of the style)
Mysterium (great atmosphere, but not something I want to play against a computer)
Small world (one word: "decline")
Agricola (also delisted for some time. It is findable, but I have no idea how or even if it works properly)
Spirit island (I have the board game, but never got around to properly learning the many rules of the game).
Everdell (I have the board game. as such, I don't feel the need to try this one)
wingspan (ditto)
Blood rage (either delisted, or only on steam)
Game of thrones, 2nd edition (not my cup of game)
Scythe (this one I really SHOULD try, but I can't get myself to learning it)
Terra Mystica / Gaia project (terra mystica I just can't grasp the concepts. Since I hear gaia project is its sibling, it gets equally ignored)
Gloomhaven (got this for free on epic some time ago, but again: a beast to learn. One of the generally considered best board games, though, so should be good)

Finally: some that aren't apps, but gateways into the frey.
TTS is a playground to test or play every board game anyone scanned in for free. IIRC only available on steam
Tabletopia is similar, but the more ethic variant (the devs give explicit permission before anything gets added). Has an app and can be tried for free. Some things behind a paywall, though.
Board game arena: a site on which you can play against others (well...is more geared toward it). It misses a lot of the graphical components, though.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think another big reason why "good" games on mobile don't sell too well is that the cost of entry is similar to the, usually present, console and PC versions.
If I have the option to spend money on the same game on either switch or phone, I'll probably pick the switch because the physical controls will make the game more enjoyable to play for a similar price.
Similar deal with PC, particularly with the Deck now being a thing.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
The trouble with gaming on a phone / tablet is the paid for games don't get supported anyway, so are not really worth the money like buying a game on the Switch.

I purchased both Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi Resurrection on Android, although i can still download these games I've not been able to play them for years as they contain some sort of DRM that does not work on newer versions of Android.

I find other other proper games I purchased like GTA 3 or Tomb Raider 1+2 HD games the touch screen controls are just rubbish, so again these we're a waste of money and never supported any proper Bluetooth controllers at the time.

I don't personally think their is any value in it today compared to a proper games console like the Switch or PC gaming. I say this as someone who owned the Ngage QD back in the day and loved it, that had a proper controls, actual good game ports for the time and emulators.

The only game I play which i think truly works on a mobile phone is Pokemon Go. That is a unique experience that will not work on any other type of device.

Reactions: niomi and duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased both Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi Resurrection on Android, although i can still download these games I've not been able to play them for years as they contain some sort of DRM that does not work on newer versions of Android.
Yeah, DDP Resurrection is one of the only mobile games I've ever bought... and I ended up having to keep the ancient tablet I installed it on (and not update android) just to have it available to play. Eventually that tablet gave up the ghost, so that particular port is lost to me forever... luckily I have the better console versions of that game on disk.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paid mobile games are better? It's possible, but not guaranteed. I don't like buying apps/games on Google's App Store as I never know if I'll switch to a different store (if using a custom Android OS).

However, I'll be buying FairEmail's "Pro" version to support the developer. I've tried a lot of email clients and didn't like them, so I went back to Gmail (it's pretty good, ngl) until I gave FairEmail a try and felt right at home!

Wish I could find a phone client similar to TrueCaller without annoying ads (don't want to use a cracked version).

Back on topic: Gaming on Android can be awesome, I load up RetroArch, select a DC game and play it (far from ideal with touchscreen controls although it can work). If you connect a BT controller, wow, it feels like DC on the go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending/apple-working-fix-bug-causing-iphone-alarm-issues/VGXCCGHWOF...