Hardware Ideas for Wii U controller uses

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hehe, a controller using a backlit LCD panel with force feedback, motion controls and extremely advanced wireless capabilities would have difficulty running off 1.5 volts.
And that's why you connect the batteries in series :tpi:

RichardLaughter

Trophies
XP
i think it would be excelent in music games. scratching turn tables, picking strings and such, but music games are kinda dead nowadays so we'll see. also, for turn based rpg's, id like the combat hud on the touch screen. i didnt really like it on the ds, but because the wiiu screen is gonna be clearer and more responsive, i think it would make a great combination. oh and there was a game for the ds where you could draw your own character and put them in a game. id like that to be revised and brought back for the wiiu.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
As a gameplay aspect though, I've played plenty of games that use a touchscreen, for DS to iPod to Vita, and I can easily say I can live without the gameplay features. I just like it mostly for the button mapping.
I agree. Personally, I would love to see touchscreen item mapping, like Ocarina of Time 3D.

Also, I think being able to play out battle commands in JRPGS entirely with the touchscreen (optionally) would be really cool.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want a big, glorified HD Nintendo DS. lol (well, not really, but you know what I mean) :ha:

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if someone will find away to high jack the video feed with a laptop? And if nintendo is stupid enough to send the controls threw the same signal and we can highjack it could lead to some interest new features. Like using your own usb controller threw a laptop

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It can probably be used to allow ports for most if not all tablet or smartphone games. (kinda depends on the touchscreen technology in the wiiU controller...does it support multitouch/pinch zoom?).

EDIT: just thought of something: Pictionary. It's not exactly revolutionary, but I bet nintendo will do a slight variation on the board game in some minigame compilation.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love a Meteos for wii U as long as it has online

But now that I think about it, the 3ds is much better suited for such a game....Idk maybe a wiiU ware/3ds ware title?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How about this one: you put a marble on the top left side of the controller (one that is heavy enough to be registered as input). Then it draws a number of red "walls" on the controller screen. Your goal is to get the marble to the lower right side without touching any of said walls.

Of course, this'll be a game with a very fast "game over" lurking at any moment. But I think it's less gimmicky than it may sound (remember: kororinpa was pretty sweet). The gyroscope could be used to give high pitch sounds if you're turning the controller too fast (or in the wrong direction) and the main screen could display stats. Or even a realtime generated movie of what's going on (kinda monkey ball style...though it'll be pretty hard to look at THAT screen while keeping an eye on the marble).

Also: trauma team open heart surgery. The controller on your lap or table, and you use your stylus to do things like carving, pulling stuff out or stitching.
The main television is the most important one of all: it displays an anime-handdrawn nurse in fancy uniform that leans over the "operation table" just to show off cleavage of her breasts keep an eye on you while you operate.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I would really like to know if the controller is self-containing, in that it can do some things without the console. Like, if it has the basics like a CPU, RAM, etc, enough to be able to handle small programs/games while the console is off.
I think Nintendo said at one point that it wouldn't be, and it would be strictly a screen to stream what the Wii-U itself is processing. But hey, you never know what might change.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe an FPS game where the aliens look normal until you hold up the controller at the screen and uncover them, or as an "X-Ray" machine in some medical games. I think the new AVP game has it used as the motion tracking device.

Two controllers for a game like Madden Football would make doing plays a snap or even drawing up your own custom plays.

Honestly if you gave me enough time I could come up with some fantastic games that would make excellent use of that controller. I am pretty excited thinking about the possibilities.

Reactions: 1 person

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I would really like to know if the controller is self-containing, in that it can do some things without the console. Like, if it has the basics like a CPU, RAM, etc, enough to be able to handle small programs/games while the console is off.
It isn't. As xwatchmanx said, the thing is strictly to stream content from the wiiU. So it won't even work if you move too far from your television. Can't tell whether it'll need a CPU and RAM and things that actually make it into a sort of computer, but I'm pretty sure nintendo will stick to the bare minimum to keep things affordable.

(remember that those controller will be sold separately. even if it'll remain that only a single one can connect, users will need to be able to replace a faulty one).

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't. As xwatchmanx said, the thing is strictly to stream content from the wiiU. So it won't even work if you move too far from your television. Can't tell whether it'll need a CPU and RAM and things that actually make it into a sort of computer, but I'm pretty sure nintendo will stick to the bare minimum to keep things affordable.

(remember that those controller will be sold separately. even if it'll remain that only a single one can connect, users will need to be able to replace a faulty one).

Well... We know that the there will have to be SOME kind of processor. The streamed data will have to be compressed and thus once received by the controller it will have to do decoding. On top of that, you can guarantee that the data stream is fully encrypted to prevent people from exploiting the system through the controller. With that in mind, it'll certainly have to have at least a little bit of "working space" ram (it has to reassemble the entire image before sending it to the screen to be displayed, otherwise you'd get bad tearing). That said, it wouldn't need an especially large amount just for that.

In other words, it'd be completely POSSIBLE for the controller to be used stand alone, but whether Nintendo will actually let it be, I have my doubts.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well... We know that the there will have to be SOME kind of processor. The streamed data will have to be compressed and thus once received by the controller it will have to do decoding. On top of that, you can guarantee that the data stream is fully encrypted to prevent people from exploiting the system through the controller. With that in mind, it'll certainly have to have at least a little bit of "working space" ram (it has to reassemble the entire image before sending it to the screen to be displayed, otherwise you'd get bad tearing). That said, it wouldn't need an especially large amount just for that.
That would be a simple dedicated video decoding processor, and a dedicated encryption/decryption chip, both highly specialized, and extremely ill-suited for general tasks outside of their focus. You could run a "hello world" program on them but nothing big.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
*bump*

Okay...with E3 showcasing that TWO controllers (now called gamepads) will be allowed...does it include extra gameplay options?
In fact...who says the second screen is needed for a second player?

-two- or even three player head-to-head deathmatch (you just have to put the guy(s) with the gamepad on a seat next to the television, facing away from it, using earphones).
-adventure games with extra screens for inventory AND a map (the "spoilt little rich kid" approach :P ).
-DJ hero can now allow mixing and scratching with 2 turntables at a time.
-casual games where you have to guess what's on the other's screen (that one where you have to sink the other's battleships...it's called "Zeeslag" in Dutch, but don't know how it's called in English).
-you can use the additional controller for browsing to a walkthrough while playing a two-screen using game (e.g. zombiU).
-The next need for speed game will allow you to take place in front of your TV with one gamepad on your left and the other on your right (these will display your left and right window). You play the game with the regular wiimote, mario kart style. Oh, and if you have a wii balance board, you can use that to hit the gas or break. :P

Any more? :)

Reactions: 1 person

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Pokémon MMO pitch #48539: ( :P )

There are several regions (like Hoenn, Johto, Kanto esque places) where everyone starts. The region you start in depends on your geographical location, so low level players from the same country start together.

On your Wii U controller you have a menu showing your belt with all your current Pokémon on. If you click one it puts your Pokéball in your hand, and then you throw it with the wiimote to send it into battle.

You can switch between controlling each Pokémon with toggle buttons on the screen, or you can issue commands as a trainer. As a Pokémon, ABXY will correspond to your four attacks. Once you weaken a randomly spawned Pokémon in long grass, you can throw an empty Pokéball from your bag on the touchscreen and aim and throw it at them and then the standard catch rate formula applies.

If you select Fly then your Pokémon launches you into the sky and you can have air battles etc.

But anyway, we could all go on all day about ideas for a PokéMMO so I'll just quit while I'm ahead :P .

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
that one where you have to sink the other's battleships...it's called "Zeeslag" in Dutch, but don't know how it's called in English
The English name is just "Battleship". Creative name, huh? :P

Anyway, I think the 2 U gamepad option works great... Personally, I can't imagine many 4 player competitive games seriously benefitting from the U Gamepad, and it works better for 2 player co-op in certain games that utilize the gamepad. And for 4 player competitive games, this can help eliminate cramped up 4-way divided screens, since two players can use the gamepad screen, and two other players can share the tv screen.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think about it it could possibly be used in place of a keyboard for an mmo, like wow or whatever. I could see it working as long as it had tactile feedback (wouldn't be as accurate as a keyboard but it could get close with practice)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @HiradeGirl, https://a.co/d/6oECWAh