Idea of solution for vWii disc based homebrew (gamecube controls for Project m/+, ctgp 1.03 from Wii U Menu, ISO instead of disc)

Famus484

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TLDR: IT would be awesome if we could inject Wii homebrew while specified ISO in the virtual drive. Not
only would it allow loading popular mods from Wii U drive instead of disc, it would allow Gamecube controllers to work with PM and SDHC/SDXC, and to play CTGP with Wii U Gamepad. It is not new, since we're doing this with GC injection.

Longer version:
With the recent apparent resurection of the Wii U scene, I am tempted to use it much more than I did before. One application which currently has limitations is about vWii homebrew mods that require physical discs. Most notably, I am speaking of :

1. The project to allow use of gamecube controllers through USB adapter in Brawl and Project M, see thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-vwii-gc-adapter-for-project-m.498236/
-It only works with physical Brawl disc, and not ISOs through USB loaders (nor Wii U injection), therefore the only way it works with Project M if it is also loaded as cheat through Gecko.
-That method won't work with SD cards larger than 2GB. For such SD cards, the GC controller patch will work, but only with vanilla Brawl.
It is hard to understand why USB loaders won't play well, so it's not clear it will be solved. If a way to make the patch work with ISOs was found, since making Project M/+ ISOs is possible, the problem would be solved for SDHC cards and PM.

2. The project CTGP 1.03, which is the most comprehensive and popular MarioKartWii mod. This mod works natively with gamecube controllers through GC adapter.
-By design (so as to prevent online cheating), it only works with physical MKWii disc. As the source is closed (for the same reason), it is impossible to build an ISO from the mod.
-It is then impossible to use Wii U gamepad in the game. Even if a forwarder for the channel can be made and the physical disc is in Wii U, the channel won't see it as for injected titles, physical disc drive is disabled.
This time, making this work with USB loaded ISOs is impossible by design.

From what I understand, the reason physical disc drive is disabled is that each time a Wii injected title is started, a virtual drive is created and the Wii U (with official Nintendo code) tells the vWii that the disc in the virtual drive is the one injected. Moreover, the homebrew scene found a way to tell the vWii to boot other channels instead of the usual disc channel itself, and even Wii homebrew.

If all I said reflects how all that works, then here is my idea to solve both problems at the same time : In TeconMoonWiiVCInjector, add option to boot specific Wii homebrew (or the homebrew channel) while specific ISO file is in the virtual drive. It should solve both problems, as as far as the mods can know, the disc is effectively inside the drive. For Brawl mods, one would only need to make injection of Gecko with PM/P+ in vdrive, with the patch untouched in SDHC card (like with vanilla Brawl). For CTGP, one would only need to make injection for CTGP channel with MKWii in vdrive.

This is not a new idea, since it seems Gamecube injection works that way. One can see that by disabling autoboot when making gamecube inject title (so when selecting game in Wii U, Nintendont menu appears). The game is not an ISO in SD card, but the disc drive.

Therefore, if one could add that option, it would solve those limitations, and open up doors to disc based mods within Wii U menu. Unless I'm wrong about all that
Post automatically merged:

There is an option in Injector which allows specifying Nintendont dol file. If I could fool the software, I would just select "GC Retail Injection", put a Wii ISO, and a Wii homebrew dol. Unfortunately, the Injector is not so easily fooled. If it were too hard to add the option, I guess an alternative would be to disable the check whether the ISO is a gamecube game (or allow Wii games in advanced).

Last edited by Famus484,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only problem is that if these developers are so adamant, they could just detect and reject the Wii Virtual Console environment, because it's noticeably different from the Virtual Wii.

Famus484

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess they could, but as long as we don't cheat online (so let's not do that), would they have the motivation? And if they verify the disk (which they should as old Wii's can read burned ones?), it would not be easy to cheat anyways, no? Also, even if it is patched, the fact that CTGP works up to some recent version means we would only lose the online and newer features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?