Homebrew The Future of the Wii U - A Rallying Cry for Homebrew Enthusiasts

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@eyeliner So you want to dive real deep into the ocean while you're not able to swim?

Sorry If this sounds mean, it isn't meaned to and if you really want to start HB development I would suggest starting with more basic things.
Just said it that way to show the OP more reason why he won't get any serious participations with this strict rules.

Reactions: eyeliner

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@eyeliner So you want to dive real deep into the ocean while you're not able to swim?

Sorry If this sounds mean, it isn't meaned to and if you really want to start HB development I would suggest starting with more basic things.
Just said it that way to show the OP more reason why he won't get any serious participations with this strict rules.
Yes.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Theoretically the best port had to be scrapped due to legal reasons GTA 3 and GTA VC in my eyes I mean Sonic mania is going strong

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Oops, only saw this now. If 1 month was a tough ask, 3 days is even harder ^_^

I think the timeframe should be extended (new deadline in June?) since this is a fun idea! thinking of contests like gekihen on Vita; which gave VHBB and others. I've not seen the other devs talk about it so it probably just didn't get seen.

I gotta say I dunno if a weather app and photo viewer are really making the most of the console - it's pretty unique. Though I guess those are also the sorts of apps that are viable to push out in a month :ha:

I do think it's worth noting that development is largely interest and focus driven and cash doesn't really hurry that along much - the RetroArch PS1 bounty is proof of that. that said, I do really enjoy the idea of everyone working to a common deadline and putting all our little apps side-by-side. Kinda gamejam vibes.

Reactions: Zense

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Wii U has faced some challenges over the years, but it is not dead yet. In fact, some exciting developments have occurred that we should all be aware of. For instance, solutions have been found for NAND failures by using a Raspberry Pi, which allows us to restore our beloved console to its former glory.

Moreover, the recent eShop shutdown has led to a boost in Wii U homebrew interest. The shutdown has created an opportunity for us to explore our creativity and create our own games, apps, and tools. We've seen how much love the Vita, another "failed" console, has gotten lately with homebrew. So, we should not give up on the Wii U just yet, as it still has untapped potential for homebrew.

To truly realize the Wii U's potential, we need native homebrew that can use the Wii U's unique features. Imagine having a weather app that utilizes the console's touch screen. Or, a music player app that allows you to create playlists using the GamePad's touch screen. Additionally, a photo display app would be fantastic to have on the Wii U gamepad. These native homebrew options can truly showcase what this console is capable of. If you're like me, and you bought a Wii U nearly 10 years ago, it can sometimes feel like we never truly saw the best this hardware concept could offer.

As a community, we have the power to bring the Wii U back to life. Let's join forces and make it the best it can be. To encourage homebrew development, I'm excited to announce a contest. In one month, on 4/20, I'll be giving away $100 in Steam gift cards to the top 5 applications/games/ports as voted on by the community. So, let's get creative and make the Wii U shine!

Contest Overview
Prize: $100 in Steam gift cards for the top 5 applications/games/ports as voted on by the community.

Rules:

• The contest will run for one month, from March 20th to April 20th.
  • Participants must submit their homebrew applications/games/ports to this thread by April 15th. Voting will begin on the 15th, and end on the 20th.
  • The submission should include a description of the application/game/port, instructions on how to install and run it, and any additional notes or features.
  • Participants can submit multiple entries, but each entry should be a unique application/game/port.
Criteria:

• The community will vote for their favorite entries based on creativity, functionality, and overall quality.
  • The top 5 entries with the most votes will receive the prize - a $20 Steam Gift Card
  • The homebrew must run on the Wii U natively, and utilize the gamepad in some way.
  • Originality: Entries that offer a fresh and unique take on a particular concept or genre may be favored over those that are more derivative or imitative.
  • Stability: Entries that are reliable and free of bugs and glitches may be preferred over those that are prone to crashing or malfunctioning.
  • Accessibility: Entries that are user-friendly and easy to navigate may be more appealing to voters than those that are overly complicated or confusing.
  • Aesthetic appeal: Entries that have attractive visuals, sound design, or overall presentation may stand out from those that are more visually or aurally unremarkable.
  • Ports of existing games/engines are allowed as long as follow the above criteria.
it would be nice to have ports of games that he didn't have at the time like ultra street fighter 4, mortal kombat X, Naruto, or even apps to watch movies through the console and run m3u lists like WIIMC on WII, but what I wanted more to see on the console was the emulators like he doesn't have an N64 emulator for him being that he is able to emulate well they never tried to port an emulator for him from this console I've seen the (psp) but I've never seen a saturn that could have the yabause ported or N64 project 64 ported, or dreamcast could be NULDC.
Post automatically merged:

The Wii U has faced some challenges over the years, but it is not dead yet. In fact, some exciting developments have occurred that we should all be aware of. For instance, solutions have been found for NAND failures by using a Raspberry Pi, which allows us to restore our beloved console to its former glory.

Moreover, the recent eShop shutdown has led to a boost in Wii U homebrew interest. The shutdown has created an opportunity for us to explore our creativity and create our own games, apps, and tools. We've seen how much love the Vita, another "failed" console, has gotten lately with homebrew. So, we should not give up on the Wii U just yet, as it still has untapped potential for homebrew.

To truly realize the Wii U's potential, we need native homebrew that can use the Wii U's unique features. Imagine having a weather app that utilizes the console's touch screen. Or, a music player app that allows you to create playlists using the GamePad's touch screen. Additionally, a photo display app would be fantastic to have on the Wii U gamepad. These native homebrew options can truly showcase what this console is capable of. If you're like me, and you bought a Wii U nearly 10 years ago, it can sometimes feel like we never truly saw the best this hardware concept could offer.

As a community, we have the power to bring the Wii U back to life. Let's join forces and make it the best it can be. To encourage homebrew development, I'm excited to announce a contest. In one month, on 4/20, I'll be giving away $100 in Steam gift cards to the top 5 applications/games/ports as voted on by the community. So, let's get creative and make the Wii U shine!

Contest Overview
Prize: $100 in Steam gift cards for the top 5 applications/games/ports as voted on by the community.

Rules:

• The contest will run for one month, from March 20th to April 20th.
  • Participants must submit their homebrew applications/games/ports to this thread by April 15th. Voting will begin on the 15th, and end on the 20th.
  • The submission should include a description of the application/game/port, instructions on how to install and run it, and any additional notes or features.
  • Participants can submit multiple entries, but each entry should be a unique application/game/port.
Criteria:

• The community will vote for their favorite entries based on creativity, functionality, and overall quality.
  • The top 5 entries with the most votes will receive the prize - a $20 Steam Gift Card
  • The homebrew must run on the Wii U natively, and utilize the gamepad in some way.
  • Originality: Entries that offer a fresh and unique take on a particular concept or genre may be favored over those that are more derivative or imitative.
  • Stability: Entries that are reliable and free of bugs and glitches may be preferred over those that are prone to crashing or malfunctioning.
  • Accessibility: Entries that are user-friendly and easy to navigate may be more appealing to voters than those that are overly complicated or confusing.
  • Aesthetic appeal: Entries that have attractive visuals, sound design, or overall presentation may stand out from those that are more visually or aurally unremarkable.
  • Ports of existing games/engines are allowed as long as follow the above criteria.
it would be nice to have ports of games that he didn't have at the time like ultra street fighter 4, mortal kombat X, Naruto, or even apps to watch movies through the console and run m3u lists like WIIMC on WII, but what I wanted more to see on the console was the emulators like he doesn't have an N64 emulator for him being that he is able to emulate well they never tried to port an emulator for him from this console I've seen the (psp) but I've never seen a saturn that could have the yabause ported or N64 project 64 ported, or dreamcast could be NULDC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol