I/O Revision II English Patch has been released.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
There's this app called VNDS that was ported from the DS, it's a sort of engine that can run visual novels that have been ported to it. A few of popular visual novels have been ported, off the top of my mind this have been ported:
Fate/Stay Night
Tsukihime
Higurashi
Umineko
Ever17
Never7
Saya no Uta
Narcissu 1 & 2

Here's the play store link to the app
You need to download and convert the games by yourself though, here's the link to some of the converters
There's also a Katawa Shoujo android port and an almost complete translation for the play store version of Steins;Gate IIRC

Thanks for the heads up, are Never7 and Ever17 in English though?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the heads up, are Never7 and Ever17 in English though?
The Ever17 VNDS port is terrible. At least two of the good endings (including the true end) are not even reachable without cheating when I tried it on my DS.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
They should really HD remaster the games for the games for the West and release on Vita/PS4/Xbone etc. I guess it's too niche a genre though. If a guy can't even get Zero Escape 3 greenlit I doubt We'll ever get update versions of these games!

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should really HD remaster the games for the games for the West and release on Vita/PS4/Xbone etc. I guess it's too niche a genre though. If a guy can't even get Zero Escape 3 greenlit I doubt We'll ever get update versions of these games!
The problem is that you don't hear about visual novels. Like, ever. The only visual novel that gets any reception/promotion is Ace Attorney, and even then, it's a small group of gamers who know about it and/or play it. I found out about Ever17 (and the Infinity series in general) by accident. I found out about the series that includes Steins;Gate by going to a website dedicated to visual novels and looking at the most popular ones according to their userbase. I found out about 999 by browsing the whole DS library and thinking it looked interesting. Nowhere to be found are commercials, ads, trailers, or pretty much anything that brings attention to visual novels. Heck, I even ask people who have played games like Ace Attorney about visual novels and they go "What's that?"

We need less dudebros who skip scenes where people do nothing but talk to each other and more people who actually care about story and aren't allergic to reading.

Reactions: T-hug

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The Ever17 VNDS port is terrible. At least two of the good endings (including the true end) are not even reachable without cheating when I tried it on my DS.
Yeah I played that version too, but the newest converter fixes all the problems, the preconverted version is the one with the issues.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah I played that version too, but the newest converter fixes all the problems, the preconverted version is the one with the issues.
I actually converted my own installation, but that was back when the converter was first released. I didn't know they updated it to fix these issues.

pokemonkickbutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that you don't hear about visual novels. Like, ever. The only visual novel that gets any reception/promotion is Ace Attorney, and even then, it's a small group of gamers who know about it and/or play it. I found out about Ever17 (and the Infinity series in general) by accident. I found out about the series that includes Steins;Gate by going to a website dedicated to visual novels and looking at the most popular ones according to their userbase. I found out about 999 by browsing the whole DS library and thinking it looked interesting. Nowhere to be found are commercials, ads, trailers, or pretty much anything that brings attention to visual novels. Heck, I even ask people who have played games like Ace Attorney about visual novels and they go "What's that?"

We need less dudebros who skip scenes where people do nothing but talk to each other and more people who actually care about story and aren't allergic to reading.

I have to point out that if you go looking for them then you'll find plenty of visual novels. Aksys has done some for the psp and well now vita. and there's at least two companies doing pc eroge and visual novels. It's niche market but it's not completely dead over here.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to point out that if you go looking for them then you'll find plenty of visual novels. Aksys has done some for the psp and well now vita. and there's at least two companies doing pc eroge and visual novels. It's niche market but it's not completely dead over here.
You're right, but since people are not going to be looking up something if they don't even know what it is, or that it exists, then there's not gonna be enough people to enjoy visual novels as much as they deserve. It's kind of like flash carts. People need to know what they are before they search for them. Flashcards are a niche market too, but that's only because piracy doesn't have a lot of PR. Since obviously Nintendo and other developers aren't going to acknowledge flashcards, the amount of people that know about them is going to be small, and the amount of people that use them even smaller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet...