Not open for further replies.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not worth it this early on. Loads of Switch games are coming. The Vita is in a similar situation, but to a lesser degree.

New Switch games > homebrew

homebrew > games

maybe when homebrew gets released we can spoof firmware versions or update just like we can on the 3ds
so ... lol

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
homebrew > games

maybe when homebrew gets released we can spoof firmware versions or update just like we can on the 3ds
so ... lol

This isn't the 3DS. Someone will have to hack the new firmwares, find the new keys, and then create a new custom firmware spoof. And then when a new firmware is released that changes all the keys AGAIN, the same song and dance will have to happen. This is complicated further because you're now either asking someone to buy a new Switch to hack after every major key-cycle, or for them to give up their previous cracked version because the Switch is hardware protected from roll backs.

This doesn't even get to the issue of remotely checking the fuse conditions, in which case spoofing is a great way to get yourself banned.

If spoofing and roll back were so easy, Scires and others wouldn't have been warning you for weeks to not upgrade.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
No but the bug-submission program is basically for this exact reason and case.

Someone from the scene submitted this (whether they were a big or small fish is irrelevant), and they quietly snuck in a huge back-end patch to plug this bug/oversight/hole. 3.0.1 sounds minor, who'd ever expect a huge change in the entire key registry, sysmodules, and OS in a patch like this?

That makes sense. It is one logical conclusion. And regarding the bug program isn't there a loophole to it?

Allow me to give you a little scenario

What if i report a big bad bug to Nintendo. And then Ninty patches it in FW 3.02. But before they do i tell Users to stay on 3.01 and then once Ninty pushes the new FW i then release/leak the exploit to the community.

Wouldn't that be a good loophole? At the end of the day Nintendo got their bug fixed, i got my money and the community got a good exploit.

I think the one problem with this would be Nintendo suing you for leaking the exploit but then again it is the internet and you could just make up some false story that another hacker leaked the exploit and in that case i dont see Nintendo being able to do anything. Since as we all now there are Multiple people working on the switch right now.

What are your thoughts on this?:unsure:

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really is annoying how secretive these people are at times. "Oh you will regret not having a 3.0.0". Tell me why. What can I do with this exploit as an end user that should require me to go out and buy a new console?

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't the 3DS. Someone will have to hack the new firmwares, find the new keys, and then create a new custom firmware spoof. And then when a new firmware is released that changes all the keys AGAIN, the same song and dance will have to happen. This is complicated further because you're now either asking someone to buy a new Switch to hack after every major key-cycle, or for them to give up their previous cracked version because the Switch is hardware protected from roll backs.

This doesn't even get to the issue of remotely checking the fuse conditions, in which case spoofing is a great way to get yourself banned.

If spoofing and roll back were so easy, Scires and others wouldn't have been warning you for weeks to not upgrade.
but you dont know whats possible with this bug. lets wait and see
im happy i stayed on 3.0.0

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It really is annoying how secretive these people are at times. "Oh you will regret not having a 3.0.0". Tell me why. What can I do with this exploit as an end user that should require me to go out and buy a new console?

wow you sound really entitled and annoying

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh shit. My Switch is on 3.0.1. It sucks, but I bought Splatoon 2 so I had no choice, really. I doubt this exploit will be of any use for now though. I hope they will release one for higher versions

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes sense. It is one logical conclusion. And regarding the bug program isn't there a loophole to it?

Allow me to give you a little scenario

What if i report a big bad bug to Nintendo. And then Ninty patches it in FW 3.02. But before they do i tell Users to stay on 3.01 and then once Ninty pushes the new FW i then release/leak the exploit to the community.

Wouldn't that be a good loophole? At the end of the day Nintendo got their bug fixed, i got my money and the community got a good exploit.

I think the one problem with this would be Nintendo suing you for leaking the exploit but then again it is the internet and you could just make up some false story that another hacker leaked the exploit and in that case i dont see Nintendo being able to do anything. Since as we all now there are Multiple people working on the switch right now.

What are your thoughts on this?:unsure:

Nintendo also updates their own infrastructure backend to new firmware conditions and keysigns. So you can release it, but then everyone will get themselves banned from the online community and future software will be coded to not work without the correct keysigns and more. Some will no doubt even find ways to brick their consoles trying to do old-FW installs.

...So what do you gain here?

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO at people saying, "We told you so, you should have not upgraded" Geez people, it's not the end of the world. Stay on 3.0.1 and enjoy freely being able to play newer games and accessing online gaming/eshop. With all the devices we have these days for gaming it's like people are frothing at the mouth to be alarmed.

Bottom-line, to have not upgraded was extremely difficult for everyone being that Nintendo stayed on top of everything, baited people in, and no certain homebrew future. Don't blame yourselves. My 3rd Switch game was going to be Sonic Mania which I almost upgraded for. It was so hard to decide not to upgrade for that.

At this point I'd say that out of all Switches out there sold and unsold I'm willing to bet that only 25% of them are on 3.0.0 or lower.

Last edited by Raverrevolution,
Reactions: DutchyDutch

Patodox

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I took the "high road" this time (?), the Switch is still young IMO to hack it.
I update to 3.0.1 a few days ago to buy some games and DLC.
Maybe in a years, if exists an exploit on fw > 3.0.1, I will use homebrew.

Reactions: DutchyDutch

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Nintendo also updates their own infrastructure backend to new firmware conditions and keysigns. So you can release it, but then everyone will get themselves banned from the online community and future software will be coded to not work without the correct keysigns and more. Some will no doubt even find ways to brick their consoles trying to do old-FW installs.

...So what do you gain here?

Welp. It was only an idea but yeah by the sounds of it is a loophole.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question... I still haven't bought a Switch. I will do it soon.
What firmware does the console comes? 1.0? I remember reading back in march that the console came with a day 1 update.

SimisFul

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Question... I still haven't bought a Switch. I will do it soon.
What firmware does the console comes? 1.0? I remember reading back in march that the console came with a day 1 update.
I bought my switch 3 days ago and it came with 2.3.0.

The store had just gotten it in stock the same day and oddly they were taking reservations :D

Reactions: PolloDiablo

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
homebrew > games

so ... lol
I really doubt that. I think Nintendo learned their lesson. If it's anything like the Vita, you'll be stuck with the old games.

Patodox

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Reactions: PolloDiablo

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not worth it this early on. Loads of Switch games are coming. The Vita is in a similar situation, but to a lesser degree since it's actually at the end of its life. Games are still being released, though.

New Switch games > homebrew

The problem is if you leave it too late and people lose interest in a system, it can reduce the amount of potential homebrew.

If Enso was released years ago, perhaps the system would have seen more action, possibly even help boost sales and interest (even with piracy, hardware sales could have caused a spike of interest by publishers which non-pirates could benefit from).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's bug bounty explicitly forbids you from doing this. I would assume that you have to sign a contract in order to get paid, at which point it becomes legally binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes you did originally say grilled