PS4 crypto coprocessor exploit found, allows for dumping of console keys

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20 (1).png

Yet another PlayStation 4 exploit has been found. While it may not be one that lets you run CFW, this bug has its own intriguing uses. Scene hacker Flat_z managed to come up with a code that exploits the PS4's Crypto Coprocessor interface. This can lead to being able to bruteforce certain specific keys from the console, such as the AES/HMAC PFS, portability keys, and VTRM, which can then be dumped. This exploit can be used on any PS4 on firmwares below 7.55, as that's when Sony apparently patched the issue. While this doesn't have much use for the end-user right now, we'll be able to see what developers can do with them and if they can further the PlayStation 4 hacking scene.

:arrow: Source

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is that you need to re-rip the games, convert them to a fake package, then reinstall each game, which would take a lot of time (and disc space) for something already on the hdd/console.
It’s still not the most ideal but external hard drives are cheapish nowadays. Couldn’t the fake packages just be installed to one of those ?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is that you need to re-rip the games, convert them to a fake package, then reinstall each game, which would take a lot of time (and disc space) for something already on the hdd/console.
The system won't allow two of the same game, so you won't lose space. ;)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had left my HEN PS4 in rest mode a few hours ago, booted up now and had to reactivate the USB. Slight annoyance, but whatever.

Installing now all PS4 packages. :)

Tomorrow, I'll convert PS2 games to PS4. I can't wait to play Dead or Alive 2 on PS4, I love that game so much.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am gonna end up being very disappointed I updated from 6.72 to 9.0 I can tell ;A;

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The question is because Sony gives the user access to configure a Proxy, knowing that it is an entrance to the exploits. They could have removed that and haven't, or asked for an update to access those options.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to see this kind of development in the PS4 scene, even if it is only for 7.55 atm. It would be nice to see the PS4 scene start breaking more ground, given how slow things have been.
The scene is doing much better compared to the 2yr gap of just having 5.05. During those time the devs only cared about showing off their findings on Twitter. Nothing was published or shared for testing unless it was a lesser webkit

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you find a PS4 Slim/Pro with 9.00 it's well worth buying. If interested, better hurry it up before Sony releases yet another "stability" firmware.
What do you mean "if"? 9.03 was only released December 1st, so there's no way you could actually find one on the shelf that's already above 9.0.
I had left my HEN PS4 in rest mode a few hours ago, booted up now and had to reactivate the USB. Slight annoyance, but whatever.

Installing now all PS4 packages. :)

Tomorrow, I'll convert PS2 games to PS4. I can't wait to play Dead or Alive 2 on PS4, I love that game so much.
There is a setting to keep it active in rest mode. Just search for 9.0 exploit videos on YouTube, and one of those vids explains it. I just *finally* got a PS5 a few days ago, so I haven't actually touched my PS4 in years (it's still on 5.05). Now I'm glad I didn't jump on 9.0 yesterday... I wanna dump keys first.

Anxiously waiting for news of a useable payload to do this. Then, I'll be happy to install 9.0.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean "if"? 9.03 was only released December 1st, so there's no way you could actually find one on the shelf that's already above 9.0.
People are too quick to update it as if there's anything special about a new FW.

I've bought Launch PS3s (2x) and they all had 4.88 when I was hoping/expecting something more like 3.50.

Didn't make that mistake while buying a PS4 Pro, I asked the seller and told her to check the FW (it's 8.53) and disconnect it from the internet otherwise the deal would be off. I wouldn't want a 9.0.3 console for myself.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now, you don't need to buy from a person. You can get a brand new one off the shelf, or go to any store that sells used. You will not find one above 9.0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan @I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu...