Hacking How to open a PS Vita ROM/ISO?

Fuguhui8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not entirely sure what to call this, but I guess that'll work for now since that's basically what I need.

So I have a ROM and I'm attempting find an ISO for a specific game (Gundam Breaker 3), and I want to open either the ROM or the ISO so I can pull out some models for it. But the only information I can find are to create a ROM or ISO or to put the the game on a Vita.

Eventually I'd like to buy the game to play it on the PS4, so I don't want to buy a Vita and the game just to get the models that way.

Any advice on what I could do?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Vita games don't use the ISO/ROM format, they're essentially zip files called VPK (Vita package) that can be opened with any archive software, or they're just the decrypted folders with all the files if they're maidump games.

Once opened, you can extract some of the data which may or may not be packaged with another file format, which you'll need to figure out how to use at some point.

Fuguhui8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah I see, thank you that's quite helpful! I suppose I'll just look for a download of it, and see what files I need to look at. I've never ripped a model from something before, nor have I messed with a Vita, so I don't quite know what I'm doing or looking for.

You don't happen to have any clue what type of file usually has the models?

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try using 7Zip and opening the archives one at a time ntil you find the folder with the models you want... shouldn't be more than a few dozen hours. only 4-5 if you know what you're doing.

Fuguhui8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I'd already been considering figuring out how to look at everything in case there was no sure fire way of knowing where the files would be (' ';; ) I'm not very concerned about how much time it'll take me so long as I can get what I need in the end.

Will the models be a file in a file or when I open a file will it have everything there?

Last edited by Fuguhui8,

SonsofOcelot

Shalashaska
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I'd already been considering figuring out how to look at everything in case there was no sure fire way of knowing where the files would be (' ';; ) I'm not very concerned about how much time it'll take me so long as I can get what I need in the end.

Will the models be a file in a file or when I open a file will it have everything there?

Likely a file within a proprietary packer file. If that's the case look to see if others have ripped assets already from the game to get the tools, otherwise you'll likely be writing your own unpacker\quickbms script to extract the files.

Fuguhui8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Likely a file within a proprietary packer file. If that's the case look to see if others have ripped assets already from the game to get the tools, otherwise you'll likely be writing your own unpacker\quickbms script to extract the files.

Forgive me, I don't know too many technical terms for things like this, by "assets" you don't just mean whatever's in a VPK right? I dunno how much there is for Gundam Breaker 3, I've been looking around for a month or 2 already just to see what's available.

SonsofOcelot

Shalashaska
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me, I don't know too many technical terms for things like this, by "assets" you don't just mean whatever's in a VPK right? I dunno how much there is for Gundam Breaker 3, I've been looking around for a month or 2 already just to see what's available.

When I say assets I mean things like textures, models... Things that make the game itself. All that stuff, at least in games I've looked into, are contained within proprietary archive files like cpk and dat files. Rarely are these archives compressed the same way as others, so you need to figure out a way to extract the data/files from inside those archives to get what your looking for unless someone else has already made a tool to open the archives.

Fuguhui8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I say assets I mean things like textures, models... Things that make the game itself. All that stuff, at least in games I've looked into, are contained within proprietary archive files like cpk and dat files. Rarely are these archives compressed the same way as others, so you need to figure out a way to extract the data/files from inside those archives to get what your looking for unless someone else has already made a tool to open the archives.

Ahh I see. Thank you, I'll try downloading some various VPKs of the game and checking to see what kinds of files they have and look for ways to extract them.

If you don't mind I'd also like to ask, the way for getting models off the full game would work the same for DLC too right? Or would I need to do something else to get content from those?

Last edited by Fuguhui8,

SonsofOcelot

Shalashaska
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ahh I see. Thank you, I'll try downloading some various VPKs of the game and checking to see what kinds of files they have and look for ways to extract them.

If you don't mind I'd also like to ask, the way for getting models off the full game would work the same for DLC too right? Or would I need to do something else to get content from those?

Not 100% about dlc but I would imagine it's very similar

Fuguhui8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, I believe I found the files with the models, a .dat file. I've been looking around all morning to find a way to open it, nothing seems to be working, but I can view the text for everything in notepad.

You guys have been great help so far, I wasn't even sure what to look for before now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC?