Gaming How to get a buttery BOTW experience on Wii u

enpeaphor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this helps anyone who reads it get a little more enjoyment out of BOTW on their Wii U, it sure has for me.

I started using my Wii U again the other day and found BOTW to be a little choppy compared to what I have become accustom to, using Cemu with FPS enabled.
I ended up finding the Performance Patch that Torphedo has created from the FPS graphics pack itself. And this works great for the game pad, but I still found TV mode to be choppy.

So I ended up using it in conjunction with the Swap DRC Lite home brew application, I set it to game pad mode and then click the tv button, to swap the TV and game pad screens, and then it’s a lot closer to what I’ve gotten used to with cemu. There is a slight degradation in picture quality, if you really look for it, or sit too close to your TV, but it’s well worth it I’m my opinion.

It would be better again, if this application could automatically load on boot, as you have to go into home brew launcher then the application on each boot. There is also a plug-in that achieves the same - SwipSwapMe - maybe this can be automatically loaded, I haven’t played around enough yet, so if anyone has any tips for that it would be appreciated.

I’m unable to post links to the patch and application due to my account being noob status at the moment.

Last edited by enpeaphor,

enpeaphor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depending on how BOTW works, you miight also be able to get an equivalent improvement by setting the Wii U's output resolution to 480p. Doing this would open up the option of 720p as a middle ground perf-wise! Assuming the game doesn't already render at 720p internally anyway..

I’ve tried pretty much every output over HDMI and component, no output is any better than the other, in terms of frame rate, from what I can tell.
Looks like the game renders the TV output at 720p internally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work