Tutorial How-To get 64GB SDXC (Or bigger) to work on 3ds (might work for wii and DSi Also!)

Did you already know this ?

• Total voters

RDilus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Instead of writing a guide i just made a video of it.
I don't know how much users know this, but hey i'm here to help and share it with you guys!

Also you might notice if you use 64gb or bigger that the SD is alot faster if you use class 10.
There was 5 second diffrence between the 64gb class 10 and my 16gb class 10 both empty.
Anyway enjoy this little tut/guide!

Reactions: Margen67

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There are many devices that don't officially support SDXC, but support it when formated to FAT32.
I usually see people recommending Panasonic SD Formatter.
I think it could be done a lot simpler with a guide, but your intention is good, and that's what really matters ;)

Nicolussius

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I use an SDXC in my 3DS but I've formatted it to use only 31GB as a fat32 partition. the reason for that is, that fat32 supports at max. 32GB in one partition and the way it formats more than 32GB is so complicated that the 3DS and any other devices take ages to read or write data on the SD which causes a very long boot time on the 3DS. If you don't make it more than 32GB it works like any other SD and still has lots of blocks (> 250'000).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I use an SDXC in my 3DS but I've formatted it to use only 31GB as a fat32 partition. the reason for that is, that fat32 supports at max. 32GB in one partition and the way it formats more than 32GB is so complicated that the 3DS and any other devices take ages to read or write data on the SD which causes a very long boot time on the 3DS. If you don't make it more than 32GB it works like any other SD and still has lots of blocks (> 250'000).
That's not true - FAT32 supports up to 2TB drives/partitions (16TB if using 4,096 byte clusters). Windows does that only because FAT32 is being replaced with exFAT since it has similar properties but does not have the 4GB maximum filesize limitation.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
while is nice to know that the 3ds supports sdxc i don't think i'll be using one, with the 2gb card the console came i have lots of content and with a 32gb card i think i'll be never worried about running out of space, that and the fact that 3ds games are cheaper in physical format and easy to find so i'll be using my sd card with download only games, something i'll like to say about my vita, but sony had to use a extremely expensive proprietary memory and 64/128gb cards are nonexistent(for the moment).
nice video tutorial though.

L

Lavanoid

HHHmm. That's strange, I've formatted a 160GB Hard Drive with fat32 before.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii's SD Card slot never had issues with reading exFAT. Should I be happy or afraid???

I also have a Gamecube controller that will power off any Wii/Gamecube when inserted into any of the ports, but that is probably because of it shorting something out and throwing a switch.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There are many devices that don't officially support SDXC, but support it when formated to FAT32.
I usually see people recommending Panasonic SD Formatter.
Shouldn't work as Panasonic's tool is the best way to factory reset an SD according to standards, and the SD lobby association mandates all cards over 32 GB to be SDXC and thus FAT64 (allegedly under pressure from Microsoft); it's a violation of standards to claim XC compatibility without FAT64 support, but unlike the SD to SDHC upgrade the protocol hasn't changed much.

Similiarly 4/8 GB non-HC cards are off standard but work fine in most devices (especially if they have less than 2 GB free)!

I also have a Gamecube controller that will power off any Wii/Gamecube when inserted into any of the ports, but that is probably because of it shorting something out and throwing a switch.

If the power led turns black instead of red, that's definitely it

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit