How to Dual Boot Android with almost any OS

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Zerosuit connor, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Can you boot without install?
    It can often be the USB, I had to try 2 to get it to work or try another version and see if that works ie Honeycomb. Unfortunately I don't own a laptop or a PC to test it on anymore. If all that fails post it on the android x86 forums.

http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/topics

2. DaveDH

DaveDH Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2012
    Netherlands
    Sorry,
    Forgot to mention that ! I've tried that two ! It gave me an warning that my system maybe unstable ,it keeps on that menu screen with that message .
    Also I tried two different USB flash sticks on different USB sockets but to no avail :(

thanks for the quick reply !:)

After the weekend I shall post my difficulties on that site you gave me.

3. Anon10W1z

Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Nice guide Zerosuit Connor! :grog:

4. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Thanks :) Unfortunately I no longer have a netbook to do anything like this on as I've switched to a Pc, im currently building piece by piece to get it the way I want. So anyone who I cant help google the problem with android-x86 on the end or take it to their forums. :) iOS users might see a guide on running android via openIboot or Bootlace. And maybe compiling android from source for AOSP roms.

5. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Im also hoping to see some more interest in android on this forums as it's a very diverse gaming platform especially if you own an Xperia Play ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Anon10W1z

Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Well, the Playstation Portable made it all possible. Kudos to Sony for that!

7. Dingoo-fan 32

Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2011
    Brazil
    ...Or a Gametel Pad :lol:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    God :O Anyway im upset with Sony after the recent broken promise to owners of the Xperia Play and I've spoken to consumer affairs about the misleading advertising and im waiting for them to get back to me. On topic I've decide a how to root a number of android devices tutorial is on its way with pictures and a ton of other stuff and maybe a tut on creating a "hello world" app

9. gemcreature

gemcreature Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2008
    United States
    Is there an way to set windows as the default OS? Half the time it opens android once i power it on and walk away.
    '

10. c825w

c825w Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2012
    First of all. Many thanks Zerosuit connor for providing this useful information. I have been through the forum but cannot find a similar case like me.
    Laptop Spec.
    Asus - M6N
    Hard disk - 40gb (20gb free space) on single partition.

X86 Android version -

roid-x86-2.2-r2-asus_laptop.iso
    View
    Android-x86 2.2-r2 live & installation iso for ASUS laptops/tablets

Nov 23, 2011 4:41 AM
    Chih-Wei Huang

I am using CD-Rom installation. Successfully burnt downloaded iso to disk and boot from the disk. Every step was ok until Step 14 - It will now say "do you want to install /system directory as read-write?" Select Yes. It will now begin installing Android.

I selected Yes on Step 14 and it will starting installing and in the windows saying Install 120Mb. But it popped an error message telling me insufficient disk space with options - Retry or Reboot.

I selected Retry then this time on Step 14 - I selected NO to install /system directory as read-write. Then the next screen is installing with 75Mb system file. Then the next screen Step 15 asking for creating disc image. Click Yes and specified 1024 and it wrote till 100% then pop up error message - 'Write image error'.

I remove the installation disc from the DVD drive and boot my laptop. Selected to boot Android. It starts with detecting X86 Android installed with “.............” then loaded the next line ANDROID.

Left the laoptop for 15 minutes still nothing happen.

Please help.

11. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    I can't really do a lot, I no longer have a laptop to test this on. Post on the X86Android Forums.

12. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    NInesky is the only browser that is working for me

13. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    You need to download the latest build. I haven't updated this in a while but i believe its in a Release Candidate state now.

14. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    cant remember which one I got to work .... I was having trouble getting it to load after the install but I could run it off the cd with no problem .....these are the 2 I have downloaded
    android-x86-4.0-asus_laptop-20120101
    android-x86-4.0-RC2-thinkpad

maybe the asus was the one I got to work , will have to check tomorrow. Dolphin went sideways on me , so I tried that ninesky , it starts out sideways for about 2 secs then fixes its orientation. I have to say it is fun playing with android on the laptop

15. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    This thread would be really good , if someone could keep it update to date with new stuff

16. Henry Eilers

Henry Eilers Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2012
    Colchester, Essex
    Hi, i've gotta little problem.

when it ask me what to boot i have 4 choices:
    1.Android HD something
    2.Android MD something
    3.Android (Debug)
    4.Windows

when i choose debug it opens some control menu or something like that but like the old computers(tipe what you want it to do).after i understood what is debug (thanks to wikipedia) i knew that this is not the right choice.

when i choose the hd or the md thigs it's just not working ot opens something and after that screen become black (for both choices)

for windows haha :D how do you thing i write to you now haha.

The question is: What i have to choose or probably what i have to do at all?

17. Henry Eilers

Henry Eilers Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2012
    Colchester, Essex
    well now i tried again (it didn't worked), but i know now that the 4 things are

1.Android HDIP
    2.Android MDIP
    3.Android (Debug)
    4.Windows

that's it i just add this to the last one.

18. Saikrishna

Saikrishna Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2013
    India
  19. Ash boy

Ash boy Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    Sousse
    Hey
    I'm trying to install Android Kitkat on my desktop pc booting from the Usb,so it gives me the first screen to choose boot without installation or othr options,so i choose the 4th option install,for now everything seems ok.
    But...when it gives me the next screen,surprise! i can not use my keyboard or mouse anymore! i suppose it's normal since android is made for touchescreen things,but i am asking this anyways : Do you have any solution for this? :/

20. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Holy crap I have one of these. I should try this.