Hacking How to distinguish the real AK2 and AK2i

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BDaichi said:
Yah ma. I loaned my dad my good cam and he went out of the country with it lol.
So by firmware you just mean AKAIO 1.5.1 correct?

To me AKAIO = Software or the AK's operating system because it lives on a memory card. Firmware to me always lives on the devices internal memory and controls it's most basic functions.

The firmware update is here from this post

Someone posted a pair of photos of their bad AK2.1 in this thread. That will give you something to compare yours to.

Externally your AK2.1 looks identical to the Forest Green 2.1's which were shipping 2008-2009
CIMG2457.JPG

So perhaps DX found an old one sitting on a shelf gathering dust or something which may mean you're lucky as it shouldn't have the save issues the recent ones are having.

ninjageekgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ive read this post a couple of times and I cant decide if I got a clone or not.

It stresses me out cause I just dont understand what pins are or what have you.

So ive uploaded some pictures:

Did I just buy 25 Acekard 2 clones?!

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo thread bit unclear as is written in chenglish.

i think they are real but not sure.
you seem to have the newer non actel chip as shown by the round blob in the middle and no visible square through the sticker.
afaik the pins are the pointy bits sticking out of the black rectangle with the serial codes on them in your photos.
yours have 48 which is another plus.

afaik the best way is to try out akaio on them, saves opening them up.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ninjageekgamer said:
Ive read this post a couple of times and I cant decide if I got a clone or not.

It stresses me out cause I just dont understand what pins are or what have you.
It's pretty clear, 48pins refer to the flash memory chip on the same side as the SD Slot. Yours has 48pins and is made by Spansion.

This makes it genuine, however I believe all of the bad batch of 2.1 with save issues have spansion chips.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my Acekard 2i from DealExtreme today and it came in a cardboard box, with no USB adapter, and a "DSi Compatible" sticker on it... vs. the plastic case in every picture I've seen including the one on the front page of the Acekard site. I do feel a bump under the sticker but it doesn't feel square.

100322165525.jpg

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
^ Could be an old stock

I brought an Acekard 2i when they first came out - it came in a box just like your's AND it also has a 'bump' under the sticker.I understand best way to see if it genuine is load up AKAIO 1.6RC1
If it works - it's genuine

Another thing is check the HW: number (In AKAIO press [Start] > help)
If it's 44 - it's genuine card
if it's 80 - well there's some dispute but IMHO it's also real (You can see details in this post under the spoiler titled 'further info supplied by Another World:' - about 1/2 way in the first post)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
I got my Acekard 2i from DealExtreme today and it came in a cardboard box, with no USB adapter, and a "DSi Compatible" sticker on it... vs. the plastic case in every picture I've seen including the one on the front page of the Acekard site. I do feel a bump under the sticker but it doesn't feel square.

That's exactly the same as mine, it's fine. Should have a HWID of 8181 reported by the FW update or 81 in AKAIO. In the center of the sticker you might notice a slight 'dimple', it's from the blob chip underneath the cart case.

It's not old stock either, this how all recent carts are including the box. It's only the older carts which come in the plastic packaging. There's no USB reader because you ordered the 'compact' version, it's not a big deal. If you read the threads on here, the USB reader breaks very quickly. I got identical carts/ packaging and no card reader from 7DayShop (UK) and also FocalPrice.

If you update it to 1.4, make sure you use the updated 1.4FW update from this thread. One of my DX carts sufferered from the 0% progress problem with the older update.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
Should have a HWID of 8181 reported by the FW update or 81 in AKAIO...In the center of the sticker you might notice a slight 'dimple'..It's not old stock either, this how all recent carts are including the box. It's only the older carts which come in the plastic packaging.Well I'm a bit confused now

It's seems that when ak2i first came out they were supplied in boxes - 'cos that what I got (HW:44), then it seems they must've changed to the plastic THEN changed BACK to the boxes perhaps for the 'new' chip type (HW:81) - how the HELL are we suppose to know what's right and what's wrong if they keep changing

p.s. I mis-read the original post
QUOTEI do feel a bump under the sticker but it doesn't feel square.
I though it said 'I do feel a bump under the sticker it does feel square' - that's why I thought it might've been an 'old' acekard - Soz

HolyRoses

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received one just like that last week. Does yours work in a DSi? Mine doesn't work with a 1.3 DSi nor if I updated to the 1.4 Firmware fix on the card does it work on a DSi.

Is it possible its an Acecard 2 with the incorrect sticker and box? Does the 1.4 firmware fix run on the Acekard 2? It does show AK 2i in the DS lite though.

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Flash Cart called "Galaxy Eagle" Some people said it was an AceKard Clone. But i just checked it's HWID. It's indicated AKAIO 1.5 HWID 44

So it's not fake?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sabregod said:
I have a Flash Cart called "Galaxy Eagle" Some people said it was an AceKard Clone. But i just checked it's HWID. It's indicated AKAIO 1.5 HWID 44

So it's not fake?
It's not a fake "Galaxy Edge" no, but having HWID 44 doesn't make it an Acekard.

Try AKAIO 1.6RC2 and you'll have the answer you are seeking.

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tk_saturn said:
Sabregod said:

So it's not fake?
It's not a fake "Galaxy Edge" no, but having HWID 44 doesn't make it an Acekard.

Try AKAIO 1.6RC2 and you'll have the answer you are seeking.

Rc1/Rc2 doesn't work for me *sigh* Guess i have to waith for my real AceKard to arrive

Steken

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good info!

I'm new to Acekard, had an R4 for years but they are highly recommended as getting better compatibility and updates.
If anyone can advise me where to buy one in UK, it would be appreciated.
Thanks

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
i got my acekard a couple of weeks back for £11 shiped from china

4coolday.com was genuine and posted fairly quickly. id recomend this site, shoptemp is also good. but didnt know about it till after i ordered my card.

wirty91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's a genuine cart, perhaps they forgot to update it?

The error message you will be getting if it hasn't been updated is "An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

You can Update it using this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103#update

If That doesn't work, try the contact section in the same guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103#contacts although from your photos, the contacts look fine.

wirty91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
tk_saturn said:
The error message you will be getting if it hasn't been updated is "An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

Thank you for fast answer!

My DSi said that error message and ofcourse I had to google it. Luckily, my friend haves Nintendo DS lite so I can update my card to work with my DSi
yaywii.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: What are the odds lol