How to be sure CHBC is no longer on my Wii U?

Jemco01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,
I have a rather specific question: I bought a used Wii U console with Haxchi installed on it. CBHC files/folder were also on the SD card. I see on the gamepad the app "dont touch me" in the form of a warning (no homebrew launcher on the other hand) but...
- When the console boots, I don't have the "classic" black screen with the CHBC version
- No menu is displayed when I press the "Home" button on startup.
I have two assumptions:
Haxchi must have been installed in 2018 from what I could see in the console log. Firmware 5.5.5 is installed (this is what shows in console settings --> no version 99.99.99 which might indicate coldboot not in place). The update was then performed afterwards. As a result :
- Either the firmware update caused the coldboot to be removed
- Either the previous owner had removed CBHC by himself.
But, I would like to be 100% sure. I know that deleting the DS title on a console in coldboot will lead to a brick. So I would like to know what to do in my case. If I try to uninstall CBHC when it is not installed, can it be harmful? Or is it wiser to reinstall CHBC to remove it afterwards? Or can I safely delete the "Do Not Touch" app?
Thank you to you who have had the patience to read me...

Last edited by Jemco01,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Install and open SystemConfigTool, then go to the default app option and ensure the official home launcher is selected
(or download from your console, and open in a text editor, the xml file in SLC that contains said setting - sorry I don't remember which one it is /vol/system/config/system.xml)

Remember CBHC is the combination of two completely independent things:
1- putting a secondary exploit in the official DS emulator to run homebrew (or, thanks to loose enforcement of title verifications, doing that to a completely different title)
2- forcibly setting the title used in (1) as the default app

When you remove CBHC, whether with the official installer, by manually editing the default app, or automatically when a title that declares itself as one is installed (= when an update including Wii U Menu is installed), only (2) is reverted, (1) remains and can be removed or even be used manually just fine

Given your description I am fairly sure, this is already the case :)

no version 99.99.99 which might indicate coldboot not in place
This is up to the individual CFW and I've always used CBHC 1.4 because it doesn't have this stupid patch :D

Jemco01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Install and open SystemConfigTool, then go to the default app option and ensure the official home launcher is selected
(or download from your console, and open in a text editor, the xml file in SLC that contains said setting - sorry I don't remember which one it is /vol/system/config/system.xml)

Remember CBHC is the combination of two completely independent things:
1- putting a secondary exploit in the official DS emulator to run homebrew (or, thanks to loose enforcement of title verifications, doing that to a completely different title)
2- forcibly setting the title used in (1) as the default app

When you remove CBHC, whether with the official installer, by manually editing the default app, or automatically when a title that declares itself as one is installed (= when an update including Wii U Menu is installed), only (2) is reverted, (1) remains and can be removed or even be used manually just fine

Given your description I am fairly sure, this is already the case :)

This is up to the individual CFW and I've always used CBHC 1.4 because it doesn't have this stupid patch :D
Hi Ryccardo,
many thanks for your input and piece of advice.
I'm still a bit puzzled on what should be the clean way to operate: Still, I am not able to get any menu when pressing "home" button during boot but... I did another test by installing a game with WUP Installer. When I shut down the console and start it again, I found myself being able to launch the game directly.
Besides I also tried to install System ConfigTool but got the error "Verify WUP files are correct & complete. DLC/E-Shop require Sig Patch".
Need to check again a bit deeper what's inside this system. If you have any advice in the meantime, would be appreciated.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did another test by installing a game with WUP Installer. When I shut down the console and start it again, I found myself being able to launch the game directly.
Besides I also tried to install System ConfigTool but got the error "Verify WUP files are correct & complete. DLC/E-Shop require Sig Patch".
(1) is normal if the title is correctly signed :)
(2) is also normal if a CFW with signature patches is not running (which, again, suggests that...), because SystemConfigTool is a developer-only tool that has been unofficially converted for consumer systems, so it's not signed!

Jemco01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Ryccardo,
Thanks for your help!
I finally dared to remove the app and nothing bad happened. I have formatted the console and then installed Tiramisu + Aroma.
Everything is OK now.
Best regards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto