st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried to draw_rect over the area where I was displaying the score in order to update it too, but that didn't work either. The only way the score isn't a bunch rewritten pixels is when you start a new game. And thanks for the pause loop, I'll try to fix that today.

The score now updates correctly, I had to write a bigger rectangle over the score. Also I'm very interested in running emulators on the 3DS, any chance we can get the source for GB and NES emulators? Do these only run in ARM11?

GB/NES work on ARM9, but very slow, i think if you want dev emulators in bare-metal, you must use ARM11.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another potential benefit is the ability to run games in their native resolution. I don't know if an emulator coded for the ds is capable of outputting at 256x240 (NES's native resolution) as the ds's screen is only capable of 256x192....if it is, it would be out of spec, and probably break on standard ds hardware...3ds screens are both capable of 240 pixel height....stuff wouldn't have to be scaled (up or down) to display at native resolution.

Reactions: filfat and redact

Hansausage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, new here so sorry if I sound like a complete newbie.
Is there an official 3DS homebrew respritory? If not I was considering creating one but after I get used to some of the 3DS homebrew community.
Can someone tell me how to get started on executing homebrew on my 3DS? Is there an official hack? And what firmware version must I have? I am aware that there is no "homebrew channel" so this is why I am asking if there is a semi-stable hack so that I can execute custom code. :) Thanks

st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, new here so sorry if I sound like a complete newbie.
Is there an official 3DS homebrew respritory? If not I was considering creating one but after I get used to some of the 3DS homebrew community.
Can someone tell me how to get started on executing homebrew on my 3DS? Is there an official hack? And what firmware version must I have? I am aware that there is no "homebrew channel" so this is why I am asking if there is a semi-stable hack so that I can execute custom code. :) Thanks

You will need a 3DS with FW 4.1 ~~ 4.5
A Flashcard of DS to execute ROPLoader
Knowledge in C(and C-LowLevel)/Assembly(ARM)
Python2.7(to execute the build.py).

All code work on bare-metal, so you can't use things like ctrulib, 3DS API Sevices, yet.

Good Luck !

st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Welp, I didn't necessarily luck out...
Will any DS flashcard work? R4? Or do i need a 3DS card like gateway?

Just a DS Flashcard, Gateway Blue Card, R4, working on 3DS, it's fine !

After it, read in topic about the ROPLoader, you will need it to do the DS Profile exploit, after it, you can use the Launcher.dat with your code.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried to make a homebrew list on wikitemp when the first two homebrew were released, but didn't have time to update it and nobody else did it either.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Category:3DS_Homebrew

The wiki could be used to list all homebrew, the format (launcher.dat or .3ds), informations how to use, different versions, updates, etc.
I wish I had more time to do all I want and maintain it correctly.

Reactions: st4rk

Areseru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would like to write an homebrew to extract savegames (even if they're crypted) but dunno if the stdio/lib/etc. would work the way I normally use on a typical source. I mean, I've never gone so much "low-level" so idk if additional "moves" are requested to achieve this goal...

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant find any rom files, like rom_e.h and rom_f.h

You need to download your own roms and use bin2c to convert it to the C-header file

Whenever I try to change the rom it compiles with the warnings and always gives me Links Awakening.
--Finally managed to get it to compile with pokemon_gb, took way too many tries.

Vaati Dark-Hylian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, first time here so sorry if I seem like a noob.

I just wanted to let you all know that I was going through some files on my 3DS SD card and found some text files all coded in Japanese. I'm not sure if they would help with homebrew developement But if you want them just let me know and ill post them.

jocopoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im testing your build on my emu and I have problems with 8080's 0x38 opcode. Can u send me your rom_*.h files, please? I want find the bug.

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I experimented a little with the PXI calls and no luck. Pretty sure my requests were formatted correctly but it never returned from the call, unless my request were wrong in which case it returned an error. Did you actually get those PXI calls in 3DS_Arm9_Shenanigans to work, Kane49 ?

Oh, and while I have your attention Kane, please please give me some hints on how to use your file-writing code, as it obviously works in your FCRAM dumper.

Sorry for double post/nagging, but I'm getting really frustrated here. I have the cake but I can't eat it because of one little stupid thing. :P

EDIT:
CRAP

The FAT code in 3DS_Homebrew_stuff is working!!! Wohooo! I guess it just was the other projects it wasn't stable in? I have not tested writing yet, but it should work... I hope. :) Thanks for sharing your code Kane49, it's very helpful and I would be nowhere without it. Just wish it was a little more... User friendly. :P

Did you get it working with nonSDHC card, I'm working with the 2gb card that came with my 3ds and can't get it to mount.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most emulators are open source. The only reason I can think of to port a NES emulator is to add 3D to it. nesDS is a great emulator that doesn't really need a vanilla port. I haven't tried GameYob so I can't say what benefit a 3DS port would have besides 3D.

The NES has 256x240 resolution. No matter how good the emulator on the DS gets, the DS only has 256x192 resolution, unless you want to remove lines or show it on two screens. The 3DS has 320x240, which is enough to show NES resolution on one screen.

Also, I'd like to see someone port a Master System emulator, since the Master System did have 3D.

Cjuub

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you get it working with nonSDHC card, I'm working with the 2gb card that came with my 3ds and can't get it to mount.
Yes, I did get it to work, but file writing was only implemented with the large FATFS lib (not petit FATFS), if you only want to read files I would suggest you use petit instead. I used the code in 3DS_Homebrew_stuff, you need to use the sdmmc code and everything from that folder, it should work with non-sdhc cards. Note that kanes sdmmc driver code is different in other project folders, so mixing them is usually a no-no. :P

Also note that the FATFS lib makes your binary very large and will most likely make your code not work, atleast that was the case for me. I could only get it to write to a file with an extremely small main-program. I tried various size optimization options at compile time but they all broke FATFS for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge