Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Why is your pc unprotected, Put up the firewall and flameshields son! You need a fortress like Ganondorf has. To be honest i thouht it said the anti virus program deleted it, but it was not the case.Where is windows firewall or windows defender? Does your Router or ISP come with antivirus protection at all? :unsure:

Or maybe next time if you left your SD card on your pc for too long, don't do it anymore. Use it only when needed.
None of those things protect against a targeted attack or even those fishing for botnets. AVs are essentially snake oil and easily circumvented.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Now i'm curious what's so dumb about that ? So you're saying software makes decisions on it's own ? In my eyes that's just dumb
You're making these farfetched comparisons to terminators and AIDS. Like, how much electric Kool-aid have you had? Those two things are entirely irrelevant.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
None of those things protect against a targeted attack or even those fishing for botnets. AVs are essentially snake oil and easily circumvented.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're making these farfetched comparisons to terminators and AIDS. Like, how much electric Kool-aid have you had?
It was meant as a joke but yeah an AI that can think on it's own is basicly the same.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because if it could then you saw Terminators running around. Why doesn't aids make decisions of it's own ? Because it ain't programmed to do :D It just can't otherwise AIDS would rule the world instead of us
You can just program the virus to look for any external drives. If no, do nothing. If yes, format it. Simple. Oh shit. I must be the smartest guy on Earth. Time to go program me some Terminators.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It was meant as a joke but yeah an AI that can think on it's own is basicly the same.
I dunno where AI came into play or why people in this thread are suggesting that to be the case, but my point is that malware is totally capable of determining what and how to execute under certain conditions. See Stuxnet. All I saw from you after skimming was that you seem to think that malware isn't capable of "deciding" what to target, and it totally is.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I dunno where AI came into play or why people in this thread are suggesting that to be the case, but my point is that malware is totally capable of determining what and how to execute under certain conditions. See Stuxnet. All I saw from you after skimming was that you seem to think that malware isn't capable of "deciding" what to target, and it totally is.
I never said it can't that's why i also said read before commenting ! And it can't, it still uses programming to do so. Deduction analysing and so forth. And why i made the comparison with a real virus is because they function the same. A virus knows what to do thanks to the RNA strain wich is basicly the same as programming telling it what to do. It knows what cells to infect and what not to infect because of the RNA strain telling them how it should be done. It ain't the same as making a decission yourself. If you think differently that it can well that's just dumb in my eyes since that would mean you'd have machines thinking for themselves wich they don't atleast not now and probably never will in your lifetime. Don't try to act smart when you're not even presenting valid arguments.

Last edited by kumikochan,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I never said it can't that's why i also said read before commenting !
A virus just doesn't delete random data. It's programmed to delete certain data but not random Data so no it just doesn't work that way. If it did work that way meaning it has a fairly high AI making the decission for itself what to delete ( We're living in 2016 not the year 2040 or whatever...) Also the reason an antivirus can pick up and take counter measures for a certain virus since every virus has been programmed a way. If it would just act randomly then a virusscan wouldn't be able to pick it up and delete it. Also the same way how everything works in real life. If a new virus pops up we can find a cure for it because it acts a certain way and not randomly.
if they do then they start to attack every partition and not a single one since it doesn't have the AI to make that distinction. So his story is still bullshit since if it turned out to be so then the virus would already render his other partitions useless. It needs to be programmed in the particular virus to attack partitions unless it's programmed to attack only a specific folder. But software doesn't have the AI to make choices themselves. What you're saying about examening the environment is true but it still does so according to what has been written in the code. It just doesn't decide for itself LMAO according to that logic we would be witnessing TERMINATORS taking over.
You said it doesn't. Right there. Oh, and yes, some do delete/corrupt random data. See the Virut family.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Because if it could then you saw Terminators running around. (snip irrelevant stuff)
I've already explained to you that software is already capable of decision-making, but I'll try one more time. Here's an extremely simplified model of how a virus could make pre-programmed decisions about how to operate:
  1. Implement various functions which represent actions on the part of the software (lets say, opening a filesystem for writing, deleting a file, writing itself to the filesystem to replicate).
  2. Access some operating system APIs to gain information about the environment in which the software (e.g. which filesystems are available, what their types are, what their permissions are, what security is in place on the system to prevent circumvention of those permissions).
  3. Depending on the information gained in step 3, carry out one or more of the actions defined in step 1.

This really is basic programming structure: gather information, assess this information, and act accordingly. If software wasn't able to make decisions such as these then software as we know it today would not exist.

I'm going to assume you're not a programmer, but I suggest you go away and read about how software works. Specifically, look in to how functions are defined and called, how information is retrieved and stored in variables, and how if statements are used to determine which functions should be called based on the values of stored variables.

If you are unable to understand these concepts then nobody can help you to understand why 'computer viruses are able to perform actions on the basis of pre-programmed decision-making' does not equal Skynet.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've already explained to you that software is already capable of decision-making, but I'll try one more time. Here's an extremely simplified model of how a virus could make pre-programmed decisions about how to operate:
  1. Implement various functions which represent actions on the part of the software (lets say, opening a filesystem for writing, deleting a file, writing itself to the filesystem to replicate).
  2. Access some operating system APIs to gain information about the environment in which the software (e.g. which filesystems are available, what their types are, what their permissions are, what security is in place on the system to prevent circumvention of those permissions).
  3. Depending on the information gained in step 3, carry out one or more of the actions defined in step 1.

This really is basic programming structure: gather information, assess this information, and act accordingly. If software wasn't able to make decisions such as these then software as we know it today would not exist.

I'm going to assume you're not a programmer, but I suggest you go away and read about how software works. Specifically, look in to how functions are defined and called, how information is retrieved and stored in variables, and how if statements are used to determine which functions should be called based on the values of stored variables.

If you are unable to understand these concepts then nobody can help you to understand why 'computer viruses are able to perform actions on the basis of pre-programmed decision-making' does not equal Skynet.
THAT'S STILL NOT MAKING DECISIONS ON YOUR OWN. You're even saying it in your first sentence i'll copy that part for you

Here's an extremely simplified model of how a virus could make pre-programmed decisions about how to operate:

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THAT'S STILL NOT MAKING DECISIONS ON YOUR OWN. You're even saying it in your first sentence i'll copy that part for you

Here's an extremely simplified model of how a virus could make pre-programmed decisions about how to operate:
....and what do you think modern AI is? Exactly this. You said a virus couldnt wipe a sd card like op said. You were proved wrong. You can leave now.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country

I have never once stated that viruses make decisions on their own. In fact, I have repeatedly stated specifically that they are pre-programmed. It is you who insists on continually returning to the argument that 'viruses can't make decisions that aren't pre-programmed'. I don't disagree with this. But that doesn't mean that the software isn't making decisions based on its programming.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have never once stated that viruses make decisions on their own. In fact, I have repeatedly stated specifically that they are pre-programmed. It is you who insists on continually returning to the argument that 'viruses can't make decisions that aren't pre-programmed'. I don't disagree with this. But that doesn't mean that the software isn't making decisions based on its programming.
I never said differently. I just made a simple comment using a comparison with terminators wich was sarcastic and meant as a joke and then everybody started replying to that.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I never said differently. I just made a simple comment using a comparison with terminators wich was sarcastic and meant as a joke and then everybody started replying to that.
Ok, so you either:
  1. are unable to argue or discuss rationally;
  2. are being argumentative for the sake of it;
  3. made a sarcastic comment and then rather than admit that at the time continued with an argument which made absolutely no sense and had no relevance to the conversation at hand.
Whichever it is, you're wasting my time. Welcome to my ignore list.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ok, so you either:
  1. are unable to argue or discuss rationally;
  2. are being argumentative for the sake of it;
  3. made a sarcastic comment and then rather than admit that at the time continued with an argument which made absolutely no sense and had no relevance to the conversation at hand.
Whichever it is, you're wasting my time. Welcome to my ignore list.
I'm done with this. I said everything that i needed to say. Nothing more to say that already has been said. And everything made sense what i said. Like the other guy said i was talking about TRUE AI and not predetermined choices. If you think that doesn't make sense well that's your opinion then anyway i'm gonna play some overwatch, have a good night ;)

Last edited by kumikochan,

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I'm done with this. I said everything that i needed to say. Nothing more to say that already has been said. And everything made sense what i said. Like the other guy said i was talking about TRUE AI and not predetermined choices. If you think that doesn't make sense well that's your opinion then anyway i'm gonna play some overwatch, have a good night ;)
... AI is the thing that adapts to it environment right? So if that is true then how would you program the FUCKING THING without having to give it choices if the environment is in a certain state?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021