Hardware Oldies Help pc keeps shutting it self down and overheating!

NeoGaming

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi does any one know how to stop my laptop from overheating. i tried the though the bios but my bios are form 2012 so that doesn't the cpu and gpu gets over 80c or even 90c just browsing the internet! this is really a problem.

cpu and gpu: amd a6-3400 with radeon hd graphics 1.4 ghz

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your laptop is literally a decade old seeing your specs. Chances are even if you somehow took the best care of it, the laptop needs service. If I were you I would repaste your CPU/Graphics chips since they are long since past dry causing thermal issues. I would also suggest you dust out your fans as well since they are probably inundated with dust. The entire internals could probably use a dusting out as well.

Finally if you really want to keep this thing going (lord only knows since this thing will only get worse over time) I would suggest replacing your hard drive with a SSD, check your ram to see if its still good since excessive heat buildup can cause ram to cook and die (same with HDD's), Replace your battery since its probably past the point of being useful and a lack of replacement could cause dangers in the long run. Also I would suggest start pricing a screen replacement eventually because while its rare its not impossible to see a screen die out after enough time.

Honestly Laptops these days typically have a 5 year lifespan before problems arise. If you are truely wanting to keep this around for longer than it should have its life to its going to be like taking care of a car that has 300,000+ miles on it. Expect hardware failures and be prepared to spend money to fix them until the system is no longer repairable.

steve_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It just needs a good clean and new thermal paste on the heatsink and if any thermal pads are used elsewhere, replace those too ideally.

The fan needs cleaning but dont forget to make sure the fins of the heatsink are clear of dust and any other debris, some heatsinks have foam on the fan side of the fins, its probably toast by now and i would remove it entirely and leave it without.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
  • look for air bulbs on all PCB's, look for burn patterns (coal black, or rare colored tracks). if just minor replace damaged tracks with a wire.
  • check for thermal paste on the boards where they're not supposed to be.
  • disconnect every connector and clean with alcohol (min. 60%) and check for burnings inside those connectors.
  • clean cpu and gpu, repaste, attach the fans and cooling tightly. check if all fans spin when turned on.
  • make sure your pc is on top of the desk so it got fresh air to breathon all in- and outlets.
  • make sure the cooling is sufficient,(heat transfer needs to at least match heat production.
  • you can raise efficiency by isolating the airflow of the GPU from the airflow of the CPU.
  • if using liquid cooling check the pump, check if there's no leak. pressure is good, no corrosion, demi watar used, every part needs to be level.

NeoGaming

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your laptop is literally a decade old seeing your specs. Chances are even if you somehow took the best care of it, the laptop needs service. If I were you I would repaste your CPU/Graphics chips since they are long since past dry causing thermal issues. I would also suggest you dust out your fans as well since they are probably inundated with dust. The entire internals could probably use a dusting out as well.

Finally if you really want to keep this thing going (lord only knows since this thing will only get worse over time) I would suggest replacing your hard drive with a SSD, check your ram to see if its still good since excessive heat buildup can cause ram to cook and die (same with HDD's), Replace your battery since its probably past the point of being useful and a lack of replacement could cause dangers in the long run. Also I would suggest start pricing a screen replacement eventually because while its rare its not impossible to see a screen die out after enough time.

Honestly Laptops these days typically have a 5 year lifespan before problems arise. If you are truely wanting to keep this around for longer than it should have its life to its going to be like taking care of a car that has 300,000+ miles on it. Expect hardware failures and be prepared to spend money to fix them until the system is no longer repairable.
most has been done when i got it but i did put a new battery only get like an hour and thirty minutes out of it. Also this thing is so old that the brand can't even find it 😂

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most has been done when i got it but i did put a new battery only get like an hour and thirty minutes out of it. Also this thing is so old that the brand can't even find it 😂
That is pretty typical of after market batteries unfortunately. There is also the unfortunate possibility that the replacement you bought might have been NOS which might have had some shelf life for awhile before being used which can cause what you are seeing. Typically in some cases with old laptop batteries it might just be better to re-cell them yourself as not only is it cheaper (since most older laptop batteries use 18650's as their cells) but you will be able to purchase them when they are much, much newer giving you assured better quality in your battery life. That said however this requires some knowhow and depending on the situation maybe some small soldering. Not something I would call an entry level project. Also if its one of those internal flat batteries then this idea completely goes out of the window as that's a whole other thing entirely.

Also true, it is old to the point even I had a hard time ID'ing it. I mainly went by your processor specs and the year it was being released in on consumer devices (2011-12).

Reactions: Alexander1970

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Like other already mentioned. Iam sure in first way the fan, coolingrips and air in/out needs to cleaned. Open the Laptop a be sure there is no dust wich is normaly collected over the years and reduces the airflow.

Over 10 years the fan could be also weared. They have a max lifetime in hours at a specific Temperatur. So maybe a new one is needed.

And for sure after that long time the headsink is dry on the processors and Ram.

Reactions: Alexander1970

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starting to have problems with mine overheating, and getting notifications about low on memory. Cleaned fans just a little while back. weird.

Asus
pc n.jpg

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clean the dust out of the fans and heatsinks.
Repaste your CPU/GPU and reassemble the whole thing.
Bob's your uncle.

[shoots Bob] Now he isn't! :D

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.1 Ghz Celeron and 4 GB of RAM.
There's your problem.

Sorry, I don't see it. I only type on this darn thing. Know little about it.

This is the way it came. Bought it used at a Rent-A-Center. Floor model

DrPickles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would be much better off purchasing a new system. Even $300 laptops from WalMart would blow your system out of the water. They're also much, much more energy efficient and run cooler than your older Celeron. If you're running Windows 10 or 11 you just don't have the system specs to run the operating system any more. I've recently had to ditch Windows on my mothers laptop (about the same age as yours, honestly - a low end Toshiba) and replace it with a Linux distribution just so she can keep using email. And if all you do is type on it and browse the web look into a Chromebook to save money.

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would be much better off purchasing a new system. Even $300 laptops from WalMart would blow your system out of the water. They're also much, much more energy efficient and run cooler than your older Celeron. If you're running Windows 10 or 11 you just don't have the system specs to run the operating system any more. I've recently had to ditch Windows on my mothers laptop (about the same age as yours, honestly - a low end Toshiba) and replace it with a Linux distribution just so she can keep using email. And if all you do is type on it and browse the web look into a Chromebook to save money.

Tiny bit of PC gaming on it also [PPSSPP, RETROARCH, [downloaded] GOG games], too slow to run steam games online on it.

steve_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I don't see it. I only type on this darn thing. Know little about it.

This is the way it came. Bought it used at a Rent-A-Center. Floor model
he was being rudeish/sarcastic about the very slow CPU.

The older the CPU, the hotter they generally are as efficiency is always getting better with new models but overheating is something that should not be happening and problems with cooling should be looked into.

You are using the laptop on a hard surface right?
my sister was non stop complaining that her laptop was overheating and then i found she was using it on the living room carpet and on her bed lol, the vents were unable to draw air and it was gasping for breath!

Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he was being rude about the very slow CPU.

The older the CPU, the hotter they generally are as efficiency is always getting better with new models but overheating is something that should not be happening and problems with cooling should be looked into.

You are using the laptop on a hard surface right?
my sister was non stop complaining that her laptop was overheating and then i found she was using it on the living room carpet and on her bed lol, the vents were unable to draw air and it was gasping for breath!

On a tv tray with stand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...