Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all who don't know the difference, proof of concept means that something was put together to PROVE that it can work while the hacks that the people here talk about is something that was made for the average person to use and it does something useful.

A proof of concept is generally not useful for the average person as it usually doesn't do anything other than prove the concept, hence the name.

Reactions: megazig and Rydian

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My issue isn't so much the claimed effects of piracy on developers and such, but the perceived effect. I don't care if pirating stuff hurts the industry or not (bloated budgets and running franchises in the ground is what hurts the industry), developers fear it. Regardless if piracy hurts or not, you can't control the devs. If they pull support for a console because of "piracy" then that's their decision, and if the Wii U gets hacked, they very well could...

That's just it though, they are using Piracy as a scapegoat otherwise no dev in the world would touch the 360 or the PS3. The fact of the matter is that devs are already dumping the Wii U left, right and center and that has nothing to do with Piracy at all as the Wii U is not hacked.

The true reasons why there is little to know third party support for the Wii or the Wii U has nothing to do with Piracy and everything to do with laziness. They can't just port a game to these systems because they are different than the other 2 which means a lot more work to make the same game that functions on the 360 function on the Wii U. Take that and combine it with the fact that Nintendo treats third party devs like criminals and you have your answer.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to sum up "piracy vs theft" after reading a whole page of it on this thread...

Owner is referring the owner of the IP/or any person(s) who make $$$ from from them (devs and publishers pretty much, also includes resellers [Walmart,Bestbuy,etc] as they make a profit per sale also)

Theft =
the original item was stolen (owner loses $$$ from the item being taken as they need a replacement)

Piracy =
a copy was made of the original (owner loses no money but was never informed or payed for one)

selling a Pirated item
owner loses no $$$ (but does not make any $$$ either, thus a "lost sale" as the person selling the pirated copy made $$$ and not the owner)

now to the debatable part-----

downloading a pirated copy of a game that's new enough to be sold in stores, and other places where the devs make money from sales (inc.fan translations,hacks)(not inc ones distributed via difference patching utilities)

(owner loses no $$$, but does not make $$$ either, BUT, not all are "lost sales", hardcore pirates never buy any games thus a sale would of never occurred, and people who "try before they buy" are NOT "lost sales" as they buy the games later to support the devs.
--People who play fan translations/hacks can support the devs by buying the original if possible. if not possible, its not a "lost sale" as there would be no way to buy them in such a way that the devs make $$$ from the purchase.

---Problem 1 occurs here,
Anti-piracy groups group "try before they buy" people as lost sales, which would exaggerate losses from piracy as those people actually paid for it later and they group hardcore pirates as "lost sales" also despite the fact that they would of never paid for the game in the first place or even played it if piracy was not a option.

downloading a pirated copy of a game,or a fan translation\hack of any kind (not inc ones distributed via difference patching utilities) of games not sold 1ST hand by the owner anymore
--Problem 2 occurs here,
since the only way to get these games would be 2nd hand or pirating, the owner makes no $$$ either way as 2nd hand purchases are essentially the same as piracy $$$ wise as the owner makes no $$$ in most cases. this is why rumors of Anti Secondhand technologies are floating around. some devs want 2nd hand purchases eliminated as they make no $$$ and the developer "Lionhead" went as far as saying as much
http://www.destructoid.com/lionhead-used-games-worse-than-piracy-201343.phtml -- relates to new games , but still points out pirating vs buying a game 2nd hand, which is the only way to get some older games.

-- I do not think this is immoral as the dev would make no $$$ either way. especially for games made by now defunct devs. its not like Acclaim will have a "lost sale" if you download Re-Volt.
some people refer to these games as abandonware, although some games like Doom and Quake are "mislabeled" as such even when you can buy them (although overpriced) right from ID Software.
I doubt BANDAI would even care (or lose $$$ from a "lost sale") if you downloaded a rom of "Stadium Events" to see what its about without spending ~$10000+ on a used copy that BANDAI would get no $$$ from buying anyway.

---my opinion based on the above

crappy games not worth buying:
for games that actually suck, I do not think that's immoral. you can do that with physical items then why not games?. is it wrong if I buy a cheap TV and it sucks so i return it?,
so why is not buying a game in the first place. it would be like if you made a clone of the TV and tried it and decided not to buy the actual TV. no "lost sale" and its actually cheaper as nothing gets returned and marked as defective when not, etc. and costs them and/or the retailer $$$ like a actual product return does. having opened new games returnable would most likely solve(with cost to $$$ like normal returns) a lot of the try before you buy people as they could return a game if it sucks, same as how they would return that crappy TV they bought if it sucked.
---some hardcore pirates would abuse this for free games, but that's unavoidable and not many would as games would not be pre-cracked like "scene" releases usually are.

hardcore pirates:
these people play the games for free and wont buy games that are worth supporting the devs over, but nobody loses $$$ as the owner spent no $$$ to get you the game, as most people use file sharing sites,P2P/torrent, which the devs do not need to maintain. I think this is immoral.

try before you buy:
I do not consider this immoral if you do your part later and buy the game 1ST HAND to support the dev. No, GameStop 2nd hand purchases do not count as the dev makes no $$$ from the purchase a majority of the time. 0% of the time if you buy used from a individual from eBay,etc. 2nd hand purchases are good for legality purposes as its legal to own a second hand copy.

downloading stuff you own physically:
Not Immoral in ANY WAY, you paid for the original so why is it bad to download a copy if your original is bad, defective, broken,etc. you should never need to purchase the same exact thing twice because of actions resulting in the original not working or are just preserving the original, not sealed of course. laws shaped by greedy corporations made this Illegal, not morality or fairness.

selling it after does not count.
selling it means you make $$$ and keep it (immoral and not fair for people who don't do this)

keeping a sealed copy and playing a downloaded one (its not fair that you keep yours sealed while us others are not just so you can resell it for more $$$) BUT its not as bad as you at least supported the dev tho.

--------------------------------------------------
There, I think I covered a majority of bases with this. the feedback and resulting flame wars should be interesting to read no doubt.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just it though, they are using Piracy as a scapegoat otherwise no dev in the world would touch the 360 or the PS3. The fact of the matter is that devs are already dumping the Wii U left, right and center and that has nothing to do with Piracy at all as the Wii U is not hacked.

The true reasons why there is little to know third party support for the Wii or the Wii U has nothing to do with Piracy and everything to do with laziness. They can't just port a game to these systems because they are different than the other 2 which means a lot more work to make the same game that functions on the 360 function on the Wii U. Take that and combine it with the fact that Nintendo treats third party devs like criminals and you have your answer.

So why give them another reason?

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
So he just wants the emulator because it looks cool on his system? Obviously he doesn't want it to... gasp, play pirated psx games! What a fool.

Except, it is entirely possible to use an emulator legally. I use Dolphin legally, because I dump all of my games myself, and all of the Wii software that my Dolphin installation uses (though none of it is required) was dumped legally from my own Wii, which I legally own.

Also, while you are correct about pirating a physical object, in order to use the emulator you need the bios, which you have to pirate to get. If, in order for an emulator to function, it uses any part of the original's software, it is still pirating as the software is protected intellectual property of whichever business it came from.

False, many emulators, including Dolphin and many others, rely on no copyrighted software to work. Also, those would be fine as long as you dump your own BIOS from a console that you legally own.

Game companies did not license those emulators or invite people to install software. Hypocrisy is hard to admit. Crack security, not buy a system and get emulator to use unlicensed software, lmfao. Stealing. Rest is arguing you are morally righteous by not downloading games (current system games). If licensed software makers wanted it, option would be there to easily run emulators and copy games.

Rest is bs rationalization I don't care about. Hypocrites to judge when you steal also. Run all stock with actual games or stfu.

Game companies do not control my life. They don't have to license emulators as long as the emulators don't infringe upon their IP rights. Many emulator dev teams go to great lengths to make them legal. Also, I would argue that if people who used emulators always legally owned the games they were playing in them, game companies would love emulators because they actually loose money on console sales. It is the games where all of their money comes from.

No, that's not how any of it works.

Piracy: Common Myths

You and anybody else that thinks piracy is theft and causes loss might want to give that a read.

Theft:
The act of taking something from someone unlawfully

I would say that piracy fits that definition of theft. I don't care what the legal definition of theft is. Many of our laws suck.

I did, do a google search on Harvard Piracy study. I can't be bothered to link it here, but it's very easy to find.

Typically, when someone is backing up their clams with a credible source, it is their responsibility to cite/link said source. I can't be bothered to find it either.

2nd hand purchases are essentially the same as piracy $$$ wise as the owner makes no $$$ in most cases.
I disagree. Game companies can charge more for the original sale because of second hand sales, because the people buying them will be willing to pay more if they know that they will be able to resell the game and recover some of the cost at a later date.
is it wrong if I buy a cheap TV and it sucks so i return it

Stores would allow you to return games too if they weren't afraid that you copied it while it was in your possession.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Except, it is entirely possible to use an emulator legally. I use Dolphin legally, because I dump all of my games myself, and all of the Wii software that my Dolphin installation uses (though none of it is required) was dumped legally from my own Wii, which I legally own.

Really ? And who did you pay in order to be able legally make a copy of the game ?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If your games went through a publisher and you haven't gained written permission to bypass the copy protection of the game from the publisher, you don't have a legal copy (dump) of the game. If you're playing illegally obtained games on your emulator (Dolphin) then you're not using it legally. The same applies to Wii software/firmware in the case that you do not have written permission to bypass the copy protection on the Wii. Also, you legally own the Wii hardware (so long as you retain your receipt as proof of purchase) but at no point do you ever own the Wii software (I believe it's merely a license to use it).

Now stop trying to justify yourself. Stop trying to defend yourself. Nobody cares if you're an ethical pirate or a bloody pirate. You're a pirate. Accept it, move on.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
piracy is like drugs or prostitution. Prohibitionism fail! nintendo open your console from day1, release a good support for free apps and free games and piracy problems go away

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's say I download a song from the internet.

What have I taken from who, and how?
My point exactly. Piracy is the act of illegally obtaining an unauthorized copy while the original source/data is intact. It's not gone, it's still there. Probably a bad example, but let's say I rent a book from the library and decide to copy every single page without buying the book, is that piracy? In a sense yes, but the original book wasn't stolen was it? No it's still there, I just illegally copied the book.

If your games went through a publisher and you haven't gained written permission to bypass the copy protection of the game from the publisher, you don't have a legal copy (dump) of the game. If you're playing illegally obtained games on your emulator (Dolphin) then you're not using it legally. The same applies to Wii software/firmware in the case that you do not have written permission to bypass the copy protection on the Wii. Also, you legally own the Wii hardware (so long as you retain your receipt as proof of purchase) but at no point do you ever own the Wii software (I believe it's merely a license to use it).

Now stop trying to justify yourself. Stop trying to defend yourself. Nobody cares if you're an ethical pirate or a bloody pirate. You're a pirate. Accept it, move on.

Unfortunately, piracy will not be easily eradicated, and it is indeed a tricky topic. Although the actual use of of their software by unauthorized means is illegal (such as playing Nintendo games on non-Nintendo hardware), emulators in and of themselves are not illegal as long as you extract the BIOS file yourself, or I've found out by doing research. Making personal backups is also tricky business under the DMCA, there are very few, if any exemptions to those regulations.

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's say I download a song from the internet.

What have I taken from who, and how?

What: The intellectual property related to the song, including but not limited to the lyrics, musical patterns, and singer's voice.
Who: Everyone who played a part in producing that piece, including the artist, producers, people who work for them, etc.
How: By taking it without paying for it. While this doesn't necessarily mean that there is a loss to the artist, that does not mean that taking it without compensating them is legal.

It is the same as if you were to sneek into a concert without paying for a ticket.

Really ? And who did you pay in order to be able legally make a copy of the game ?

I payed the game developer for the original copy, and then exercised my right to make one copy.

You do not have to "own" the software to copy it or to use it, you merely need a license. You only need to own it if you wish to distribute, which I do not. It would be fun to test the whole bypassing copy protection thing in court, because that would bring up the question of what constitutes copy protection. Is making a propriatary disc protection? What about encryption? And to what extent am I bypassing it, and to what extent am I merely running unsigned code on my Wii to make it spit out files.

Nobody cares about the difference between ethical piracy and "hardcore" or "bloody" piracy eh? I believe this whole conversation started with fears that developers would abandon the Wii U if piracy was enabled on it early in its lifespan. I believe that this is a valid fear (though maybe not for the Wii U, considering its specs), just look at PC gaming. More and more top devs are saying that it isn't worth it to invest in the PC because of piracy, so instead PC gamers get crappy console ports or nothing at all. (Or, more recently, the latest Sim City). I truly believe that if there were only ethical pirates, developers would not care. Why would they?

I'm not saying that our laws in the US (and probably other countries) are perfect. They are far from it. Nor am I saying that all of the things I do are legal according to them. What I am saying is that piracy is a valid fear that all software developers have, that software developers deserve to get paid the asking price for their products, and that arguments in support of piracy (the "bloody" kind) don't hold their weight. Consider for a moment what would happen if you developed a game and sold exactly one copy, which everyone else proceeded to pirate.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What: The intellectual property related to the song, including but not limited to the lyrics, musical patterns, and singer's voice.
Who: Everyone who played a part in producing that piece, including the artist, producers, people who work for them, etc.
How: By taking it without paying for it. While this doesn't necessarily mean that there is a loss to the artist, that does not mean that taking it without compensating them is legal.
If there's no loss, then it's not theft.

It is the same as if you were to sneek into a concert without paying for a ticket.
No, because that's a service.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/
You really ought to read this. It has citations and links to the law and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya