Harvest Moon DS/ DS Cute Hack Help

godzillastan72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello party people!

So to preface this, I am a bit of a noob at rom hacking but I'm trying to get better. I've watched and read many tutorials but none of them really touch on exactly what I'm trying to do so I figured I'd ask for some help.

I'm trying to create a gay mod for Harvest Moon DS, taking the character sprite information from Harvest Moon DS Cute (the ponytail girl) and putting it into Harvest Moon DS (the boy version) so I can marry the girl of my dreams.

Only problem is, I've only made one hack before and it didn't work very well and I am wholly inexperienced.

I will mention, a hack for this game doing this exact thing DOES exist, BUT.... it's for the wrong version of the rom. Thus, there's a glitch that makes it so you can't marry the witch princess (the girl I wanna marry). :(

So I decided to do make one myself.

Okay, starting out, I have Crystaltile2, Kuriimu, DsLazy, and BatchLZ77 to start with. I have both roms, one for DS Cute (the girl version) and the other for DS (the boy version).

My questions are: Which program do I use to view which files I have to replace? Crystaltile2?

I assumed I'd have to replace the files in .Chara with the other .chara files but like I said, I'm a total noob at this so some guidance would be amazing. I'm kinda just messing with things and seeing if anything makes sense.

If you guys could just let me know how to go about viewing which files I have to replace and how to replace them or just any tips or links to tutorials that would be amazing and I appreciate it very much!!!!!!

Thank youuuuu!!!

piripo503

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Unless you want to play in japanese, I don't think you'll get to do it. Cute didn't release in Europe afaik
Not that I've tried though, the data may be organized similarly between regions.

Anyways, what I have been trying is doing it between the US versions.
I used crystaltile2 to get the offsets and edited the rom with HxD, but I haven't seen any changes to the overworld sprites thus far.
To check, I just used the OAM viewer on desmume after pressing start on the main screen on a new save, so maybe that has something to do with it (not seeing changes).

If you want to give it a shot yourself, the sprite sheet for the ponytail girl is inside arm9.bin. Go to arm7.bin in crystaltile and scroll back a bit and you'll find it.
character.bin seems to only have the blonde girl, so I don't really know where everything is.

If you somehow manage to replace the sprite sheets correctly, you'll still have to replace their palettes.
I use GBAGE to see the palettes in the ROM. The colors are in 15bit format, as far as I know (e.g. #FFFFFF = 0xFF7F).
Once you know the offsets in the ROM where the palettes are located, use HxD (or any other hex editor) to change the hex values of each color.

Wish you luck! The Harvest Moon series really suffers from a lack of romchacks...

Reactions: denimdenimdenim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto