Guild's Flamebait News That Isn't Posted Thread

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we really need to get into the whole "Does time = quality?" debate and bring up Duke Nukem Forever and other such atrocities?

More time doesn't necessarily produce a game, sure, but a quick turnaround isn't going to do it any favors, either.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, but the quick succession of titles in the franchise burned me out and I jumped ship. Sometimes a little breathing room can be just what a franchise needs; with AC, I felt smothered.

I'm sure that Assassin's Creed is making them great money now, but in the long run? Considering the reception of Assassin's Creed 3 across the board, I think the brand is suffering for it; maybe they'll win back the crowd with IV, but I'm skeptical. I'd just hate to see a franchise I once really enjoyed go the way of Guitar Hero.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
More time doesn't necessarily produce a game, sure, but a quick turnaround isn't going to do it any favors, either.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, but the quick succession of titles in the franchise burned me out and I jumped ship. Sometimes a little breathing room can be just what a franchise needs; with AC, I felt smothered.

I'm sure that Assassin's Creed is making them great money now, but in the long run? Considering the reception of Assassin's Creed 3 across the board, I think the brand is suffering for it; maybe they'll win back the crowd with IV, but I'm skeptical. I'd just hate to see a franchise I once really enjoyed go the way of Guitar Hero.
Could always not play them. I don't even have III because I still haven't beaten the ones before it, and I likely won't get it for a while.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A question on Assassin's Creeds

Should I get someone that knows nothing of the franchise but is a fan of modern prince of persia style gameplay but always wished it had a bit more of a free roaming bent and then sit them down with a copy of say 1 and a copy of 3 would they dismiss the later titles?

Moreover given others in this thread have declared their intentions to play it at some unspecified, but presumably somewhat distant, point in the future would it play out they will we see a series go downhill as badly as some might have said?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could always not play them.

Of course I don't have to play, but I can still hope that Ubisoft gets the franchise back on the rails.

A question on Assassin's Creeds

Should I get someone that knows nothing of the franchise but is a fan of modern prince of persia style gameplay but always wished it had a bit more of a free roaming bent and then sit them down with a copy of say 1 and a copy of 3 would they dismiss the later titles?

Moreover given others in this thread have declared their intentions to play it at some unspecified, but presumably somewhat distant, point in the future would it play out they will we see a series go downhill as badly as some might have said?

I enjoyed AC 1, but it has a lot of boring repetition, so it may not be the best place to start.

I'd recommend giving them 2 and seeing how they like it. If they like that, then AC: Brotherhood is a pretty good followup. They could probably just stop there and be satisfied - Revelations is more padded than RuPaul's bra and the reaction to AC 3 has been very mixed, to say the least.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is off the rails though? Releasing too often?

Releasing increasingly disappointing entries in short succession, sure.

AC is Ubisoft's dependable workhorse, but the legs are giving out - if you don't give it some rest now, you'll have to take it behind the shed sooner or later.

I mean, I don't know, the idea well is looking pretty dry. We're looking at pirate assassins for the next game. Whee.

Maybe a little time off would do everyone some good. Make the next Assassin's Creed something to be excited for, to be hyped about, not just expected. Come back to Assassin's Creed out of inspiration, not obligation. Maybe take the dev teams and piles of cash thrown at each year's AC game and invest them into something new. The response to Watch Dogs has been overwhelmingly positive so far, so it's not like we're resistant to new IPs (sales remain to be seen, of course, but I'm hopeful). Every major, juggernaut franchise starts out as a new IP - Assassin's Creed included. You won't find the next success story unless you take the risk.

Of course, this isn't going to happen; AC is a cash cow now, and the short term gain overshadows the long term harm. But hey, a man can dream his wild pipe dreams.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Ri855cK.gif

Also, Assassin's Fortress.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"Developing for an off-the-shelf system is easier than learning to develop for a custom architecture"

R6cKycN.png

How very unexpected.

"I'll tell you an anecdote: When I was the producer on Prince of Persia: Sands of Time we managed to get our hands on a very good programmer who's still on the Assassin's Creed core team. One day on his desk he had a black book, and I was like, 'what is that?' It was the documentation support for coding for PS2. That day I understood I never wanted to optimize code, that's too much work.
Spoken like a true PC developer.

Reactions: Deleted_171835

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later