[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kermosil

Kermosil Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    Hello,

I have followed the guide and I'm using Haxchii CFW, I have downloaded WIIU and WII games with Wii U USB helper but it seems only WII U games can be run, if I try to run WII game the console will go black (it shows the wii loading screen for a moment before the blackout). If I launch Wii menu by itself it works ok.

Do I need to install Mocha CFW to run WII games or do I need the WVii hack to run them?

Last edited by Kermosil, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:14 PM
  2. LkMsWb

LkMsWb Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    Italy
    I don't think so, you can run them without any issue as long as you load Haxchii sysmenu mode. Do you have a compatible controller connected? I tried just two Wii games, and both were compatible with the Wii U Gamepad, don't know what happens when you try to load a Wii Remote-only game without having it.

3. Kermosil

Kermosil Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    I load the Haxchii in sysmenu mode (I have checked that he version is 99.999.99E so that I know Haxchii is loaded) before trying to load Wii-titles and try to load the games fom Wii U menu (not Wii Menu since the icons are on the Wii U menu).

I have Wii U gamepad and Wii remote + Wii pro controller attached to it and Wii U recognizes them. Games are installed with WUP installer GX2 from Haxcii's homebrew menu to Wii formatted USB hard drive.

It's like the console doesn't know how to switch (or dies trying) to Wii menu and launch the game. Only unlplugging the powercord will revive the console.

Last edited by Kermosil, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM
  4. zonte9000

zonte9000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    Portugal
    Hello again.

I'm grateful for all your answers, but I came to realise that my wii u was actually already hacked. Haxchi was booting to CFW so it launched and went back to wii u menu. As it was suposed to. I only need to get vWii working now.

Is there a way to make a 1TB disk work for both WiiU and vWii?

Thanks a lot!

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think you can with mocha, but it's a pita. you need another, wii-u formatted drive which defeats the purpose.

zonte9000 likes this.
  6. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2012
    Canada
    I keep seeing "run SigPatches then WUP Installer to install the game" do I need "SigPatches" if I already go the Run Haxchi > HBL > WUP Installer GX2 > Install to USB route?

How exactly do DLC and Updates work with WUP installed games? unsure where to put the DLC and UPDATE gotten via Wii U Helper ?

7. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Haxchi itself is a CFW (SigPatches), and a ELF Loader. You can run Haxchi without enabling the CFW and Sigpatches, depending on how you Setup the haxchi install.txt file before you installed Haxchi.

To have Haxchi launch with Custom Firmware and SigPatches automatically as soon as you launch Haxchi, you must setup your install.txt file correctly.

Example:

default=sysmenu

If Haxchi is installed with "default=sysmenu", then as soon as you launch Haxchi when you boot the system, you MUST let it launch and go back to the Main WiiU Menu, before trying to launch HBL.

After you launch Haxchi and your back at the Main menu, you can then launch Haxchi again to launch HBL to launch WUP Installer and install your DLC.

When you install any Games, Updates, or DLC with WUP Installer, they get installed to the correct folder locations on thier own. No need to worry about installing in a specific order either, installing in any order works fine.

A good way to know your in CFW/SigPatches with Haxchi, go into your WiiU system settings and look at the top right corner. It should say "99.99.99" for the system firmware version if Haxchi CFW is enabled and active. Or "5.5.x" if Haxchi is not enabled or running.

HyeVltg3 likes this.
  8. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Just a little clarification. It's config.txt not install.txt and if you launch HaxChi a 2nd time you'll need to hold B to get into HBL (depending on how config.txt is setup)

9. TudorBlue

TudorBlue GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2007
    Loved this game, not played it for a while. Need to update and play it again. Quite difficult at first but gets quite easy once you learn the recipes and find the ingredients. I did cheat on this game, I used codes for weapon durability and infinite arrows

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

10. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Oh yeah, sorry about that. It's config.txt.

It's been awhile since I had to mess around with installing Haxchi.

Sorry again.

11. Kate0012

Kate0012 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Canada
    I just finished backing up my sysNAND with Wii U NAND Dumper v0.3 on a 64GB SD card. The files ended up sitting in my root directory, and they come together as 30.1GB. Also, there is a file called "slccmpt", but no SLCMTTP file (I don't have vWii and I'm on 5.5.2U with no games installed on the flash drive).

The rest are just bunch of mlc.bin files, 15 of them, along with the otp.bin, seeprom.bin, slc.bin files.

This sounds like how it should be, right?

Last edited by Kate0012, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:20 AM
  12. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yes. That's right. Now copy them to your pc somewhere safe

Kate0012 likes this.
  13. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2012
    Canada
    My current config.txt (thank you for the clarification, I was unsure if he meant config as this was the only place during haxchi install that I remember that line)
    Code:
    default=sysmenu
    a=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf
    So everything is good?

To run with sigpatches:
    Run Haxchi > Run Haxchi again, hold A > HBL loads > WUP Installer > Install Game/DLC/Update

To Play:
    Run Haxchi > Tap Installed game icon

Is this the correct flow?

Last edited by HyeVltg3, Jan 17, 2018 at 5:00 PM
  14. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Yes. But if you don't reboot your system you just have to launch Haxchi once to get into Custom Firmware, so you can launch games and games that have DLC that require Sigpatches.

Haxchi CFW stays active until you reboot the system.

HyeVltg3 likes this.
  15. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2012
    Canada
    (gah issue after issue)

So Need to figure out if bad HDD or something else wrong with WiiU (cfw install or something)

Cannot get any games to run from USB HDD

120GB SDD connected to back WiiU USB ports, using a wired/self-powered HDD 3.5"/2.5" Dock (using same dock with VitaTV, works fine)

Tested by transferring a game to Internal Memory and game runs fine, so something is going on with the USB portion.

Games start, but get stuck at splash screen or in XCX's case, the bottom right blue loading bar get half-way and then blackscreen, loading "loops"(?) back to start, keeps "boot-looping".

Is there any known issues with SSDs ? all I have is SSDs and some giant 2TB-4TB HDDs, that I dont want to waste on WiiU formatting.
    Is there a special step needed for Haxchi+Playing games off USB ?

16. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Well you could test one of the non SSDs and see if you have trouble. Personally I've never tried SSD but every other hard drive I've tested works great with HaxChi

17. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    maybe try one/both of the front two. I'm using the front two myself with a y cable and two or three extension cables since my hdd is on the other side of my entertainment center. it's unpowered. I'm using one of the back ones with my powered, virtual wii hdd.

18. Kate0012

Kate0012 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Canada
    Already done as I was writing my last post ^_^

Oh, yeah, in Step 5 you mentioned that:

=================================================================================================
    1. Follow the intrustions in Step 2 to install HaxChi
    2. Setup HaxChi to autoboot to system menu by altering the file in the folder SD:\HaxChi\config.txt. Change the values to look like step 3 below.
    3. a=fw.img
      b=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf
      default=sysmenu
    4. re-install HaxChi from HBL over the top of your HaxChi DS title
    5. Now when you launch HaxChi you are in sigpatched sysNAND
    =================================================================================================

And in Step 6:

1. You can launch HBL by holding B when you fire up HaxChi
    2. Open your Wii U browser and browse to the page "loadiine.ovh" on your Wii U. When the page loads make sure that the dropdown box says "Homebrew Launcher 1.4 (5.5.0 - 5.5.1)" and click "submit".

I read it through a few times. In Step 6.2, why is it necessary to browse to "loadiine.ovh" and do the submint thing again? The config file is changed, then a HaxChi reinstallation is done. At this time you can either tap the HaxChi icon to fire up the CFW, or tap and press hold B to launch the HBL.

What if I'm on 5.5.2. I should browse to cg.stupiid.ovh instead, right?

Also, I remember you said in another thread that you manage your saves using Saviine, may I ask why not just use ftpiiu everywhere? You can retrieve/replace whatever files you like. I remember doing something similar on PS3, except on the playstation, games are not region locked or bounded, but the saves are ---- the exact opposite of Wii U.

19. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    if I understand you correctly, you need to reenter the haxchi installer to inject your config.txt. alternatively, you can ftpi it here.. I can't recall the exact location, but I believe it's: mlc01/usr/title/00050000/title id/content/config.txt . I have it written down in my wii u tutorials thread on another site. however, I'm not sure if you can do this without running haxchi/mocha first anyway, so that may not be an option.

I'm pretty sure you can use ftpii u everywhere to extract/inject saves. saviine is just more convenient, and you don't have to risk going into the file system.

Last edited by godreborn, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:53 AM
    Kate0012 likes this.
  20. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2012
    Canada
    Think I might just have some bad rips, Fatal Frame and XCX are the only games that do not work from USB, VC games work and other WiiU titles work fine (Tokyo MS#FE and Devil's Third tested)

Going to try and re-get FF and XCX from WiiU Helper...geez thats a re-download of 52GB