[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    the splitting of the mlc is normal. it will be 2GBs apiece except for the last part. you can merge them on your computer.

2. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    There are instructions in my unbrick guide how merge this files on your pc

Edit: wtf? They're not in the unbrick guide. I know I posted them somewhere.

Last edited by Kafluke, Oct 7, 2017
  3. karoloos

karoloos Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Can someone explain me what does it mean "re-install HaxChi from HBL over the top of your HaxChi DS title"? In step 2. INSTALL AN ENTRY POINT (HOMEBREW LAUNCHER) I used HaxChi method to get into Homebrew Launcher and now I'm at step 5. DIFFERENT TYPES OF CUSTOM FIRMWARES AND HOW TO INSTALL THEM where at the first method (HaxChi by itself) I need to change HaxChi's config file and then there is a step re-install HaxChi from HBL over the top of your HaxChi DS title. What exactly do I need to do?

Should I open HaxChi channel (which was earlier a game that I've downloaded from e-shop) then at the HomeBrew Launcher tap "Haxchi" and then "Load" -> choose again the game that I've downloaded from e-shop and then again install HaxChi?

Or do I have to uninstall DS game, install it again then go to cg.stupiid.ovh to launch HomeBrew Launcherand and finally tap "Haxchi" and then "Load" -> choose the game that I've downloaded from e-shop and then install HaxChi?

Which version is correct?

4. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You had it right the first time. After you change HaxChi config file you go to HBL and launch the HaxChi installer again and choose the same game as before. No need to uninstall it first

karoloos likes this.
  5. kup

kup Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2017
    United Kingdom
    @karoloos The way i understand it is -

When you first install HaxChi, it puts the default install of on system memory (including where the shortcuts point to from haxchis config file, the default is to launch HBL when you load haxchi)
    If i fully understood what i was doing on my install, i could have set up HaxChi correctly the first time, by editing the config file to boot CFW, and not needing to look at step 5 at all, (maybe a line could be added in the tutorial suggesting this but Kafluke may have reasons for doing it that way IDK)
    Also its OK to overwrite HaxChi (your ds game) with HaxChi (your essentially just copying HaxChi from SD card to system memory, including your edited config file to load CFW, and then HaxChi will load CFW without the SD card inserted if you wish)

Last edited by kup, Oct 7, 2017
    karoloos likes this.
  6. Nym5

Nym5 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2014
    Brazil
    Not sure this is a dumb question but here I go:
    I have Zelda BotW installed in my system memory and I want to install its DLC now. I don't have any custom FW installed and I'm aware I'll have to run Mocha before I use WUP Installer to install it. But my doubt is, what will happen if I enter the game again without running Mocha first? Will just the DLC part be locked (not even sure how this would work) or will I not be able to play at all unless I run Mocha everytime I want to play it?

7. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    The game will just fail to run if you install DLC and don't use CFW

Nym5 likes this.
  8. Blake337

Blake337 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2014
    Argentina
    San Miguel, Buenos Aires
    Will I stop being able to open the games I installed into the USB drive with the Brazilian method if I update the console? I don't mind if I can't install games after the update.

9. xaycev

xaycev Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hey, my wii u has FW 5.0.0 and i already installed games through the wup installer with the previous guide (Defintive Guide). Can I update my console or does anything bad happen to it if I update?

10. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    @Kafluke , do you have the byte size of the mlc? I know it can either be either one of two sizes: 29.1 or 29.7GB I believe, but I need the byte size. the fw.img for redNAND makes a full dump, correct? I don't have enough space on my sd card to make another full dump. I suppose I could transfer some stuff off of there, but I wanna make sure if there's a reason to.

11. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    The image that redNAND makes is not full. That's why @EyeKey made a took to repair a redNAND nand dump

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If you dont have HaxChi you'll be forced to use an unreliable browserhax on 5.5.2

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yes. "Brazillian" method is just like having the disc on game. It's not even a hack so to speak. You just fool your Wii U into using the disc ticket (which isn't specific to any console)

12. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm going to test the NAND dump. from what I remember, the mlc should be fine, but I'll check to make sure. I think it's just the slc and the slcmpt that are messed up by doing a NAND dump with the redNAND fw.img.

13. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm dumping everything again including the mlc. I'll hex compare both files to see. NANDfixer can't read my mlc though.

14. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Nandfixer is for seeprom only. You have to have a valid seeprom to use nandfixer

15. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    this may be a stupid question, but is the seeprom taken from the NAND chip or the cpu?

Last edited by godreborn, Oct 8, 2017
  16. titaniuml

titaniuml Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    Hi,

Is there anyway Spiik could be incorporated into haxchi and be automated at some point in the near future? Or something similar?

17. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I'm sorry, but what is "Spiik"?

Edit: I see now. I did a quick search and found that "Spiik" changes the region of your games or something like that.

But the thing is, Haxchi already allows you to play games from all regions. Haxchi disables the region locks, and allows you to play any game from any region. As far as I'm aware anyway.

I forget where I seen it, but I'm pretty sure I even seen people playing Japanese released games on a EU and US consoles. I may have seen it on YouTube.

Last edited by TheTechGenius, Oct 9, 2017
  18. titaniuml

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    Yea I know haxchi does that, but I'm not sure if it plays all of them, as in 100% compatibility. I tried regionhax which opens all regions and managed to play many of my other region games no issue apart from 2, Wii party u and Star Fox. So @Ryccardo suggested Spiik and it worked. Apparently some games need more than just disabling region locks, like language folders whatever. So Spiik does this.

19. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Ohh ok. I see. Thank you for the info, I didn't know that.

titaniuml likes this.
  20. titaniuml

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    So I've installed CBHC now. I'm thinking of doing vWii next. Is it an easy transition from my Wii to Wii U? I already have my Wii hacked with games on the external HDD and Nintendon't etc. I'm hoping it's just a matter of plugging in my Wii external HDD to my Wii U and all works seamlessly.

Also, if that does work, can I use the same HDD for my Wii U games? Installing to it?

EDIT: Nevermind! I've checked a guide and it seems like a hassle and not a seamless transition. I'll keep my Wii.

Last edited by titaniuml, Oct 9, 2017