[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

Nov 29, 2016
  1. Kafluke
    OP

Member Kafluke GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I didn't say he needed "internet" I said he needed "wifi". If you don't have a LAN adapter you still need to have the wifi turned on and connected to your android hotspot

2. Zeroy

Newcomer Zeroy Advanced Member

Germany
    Oh sorry I miss understud this.

But by the way your projects are really great.
    This tut and your Android app.

Thanks for this.

Kafluke likes this.
  3. Nopadet

Newcomer Nopadet Member

United States
    Is Rednand a necessary sandbox for developing HBL homebrew apps, or is there not enough access there to brick the system?

edit: and also a Wii U hacking Discord or IRC potentially?

edit 2: How do you attach the debugger and/or get log information?

Last edited by Nopadet, Dec 3, 2016
  4. evans05

Newcomer evans05 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    everytime i try luke up kafluke page on wii u it says error

5. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    You don't have to use my page. you can get to hbl by just going to loadiine.ovh

6. FF777

Member FF777 人を呪わば穴二つ

United States
    Will those same listed DS VC games work on a jap wii-u from jap eshop?..

7. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    Yes

8. Kafluke
    OP

United States
  9. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    Updated the OP quite a bit. Still working on things.

iAqua likes this.
  10. ddurdle

Member ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    nice work

11. iAqua

Member iAqua GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    If you're using any iosu permission stuff it should probably be done in redNAND, if it's just regular homebrew sysNAND without sig patches should be perfectly suitable for your needs.

12. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    I'd love some additional ideas to put in the "why do I want redNAND" section. I don't use redNAND so I'm not very good at explaining any reasons why someone might want to use it.

In fact, I don't really understand why you'd use redNAND over cfw with sigpatches. Help me @iAqua, you're my only hope! :)

Last edited by Kafluke, Dec 6, 2016
  13. iAqua

Member iAqua GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It's generally safer, i'm not trying to diss sysNAND sigpatches, but I don't really think it's a very good idea. You could say i'm paranoid, but if you check out this list you'll see that someone bricked from attempting to install a monster hunter update, so that's a reason. There's also the fact of sysConfig tool, which is far surperior to installing with wupinstaller, and having more freedom with editing stuff and not worrying about it. It's honestly about if you feel like risking your safety for easier/faster booting.

Last edited by iAqua, Dec 6, 2016
  14. BDS

Member BDS GBAtemp Regular

France
    A couple of notes:
    • you can reduce your list of domains to block to 4 (nus.cdn.shop.wii.com; nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net; nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net; nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net)
    • for game loading, probably stop spreading the "Brazilian method" name (even if it's probably sadly too late) and don't restrict it to USB (I made a reddit thread a while ago to express my irritation about that)
    • for files needed, don't provide some all-in-one mega link which may get outdated any time (even if it's yours), provide clear instructions (such as go to wiiubru.com/go (hbas lite) to download a few apps including the homebrew launcher and the "true" hbas (then if necessary get a few other apps from the "true" hbas)) and link(s) to github repo(s) (or other sources) for stuff that can't be downloaded from hbas. (pwsincd is already making a pretty good job at maintaining the wiiubru repo for hbas up to date)

Kafluke likes this.
  15. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the tips! I fixed the domains list (it was copied and pasted from the definitive guide).
    Do you have a prefered name. That's just the one that people recognize. I read your reddit page. Makes sense. Just don't know what else to call it. WUP Installer method?
    Good advice on the files needed section. I'll work that over tomorrow or later.

16. BDS

France
    Thanks.
    "WUP Installer method" is too broad imo (for example when someone installs a VC game benefiting from sigcheck being patched on cfw/rednand it would likely still involve WUP Installer but would have nothing to do with the method (if it's not WUP Installer, it would be either SysConfigTool or the install_title function with wupserver)).
    I believe (disc) tik trick to be OK (it might sound a bit like a circus attraction, but it's kinda one tbh). Although, I guess that you would explain how the trick works (disc tik + encrypted nus data (nusgrabber, jnustool, etc.) => installs) and then link to some PC app(s) that make things (very) easy for end users. To explain how to get tik's themselves, I guess mentioning tik2sd is enough these days.

17. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    I like it. Disc Tik Trick it is!

18. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    Okay tell me what you think now. I think I have covered all your requests.

19. BDS

France
    Yes, but I still have some remarks lol
    Mention DNS from TitleDB, since it should be better to have two real DNS servers (and I would recommend using the NL one to Europeans, since this one has a ~20ms response time for me whereas the US one and DNS-U have a ~160ms response time)
    In case the browser exploit doesn't work on first try, tell users to bookmark the exploit hosting website (because imo it's always a pain to retype a URL with that Wii U browser lol). Maybe provide more hosting websites just in case the one you provide is down at the very moment some user wants to try (even if I believe it's pretty unlikely).
    I would personally talk about hbas lite (available from wiiubru.com/go with WiiU browser) so that users only download the haxchi stuff from their PC and get HBL (yes, even HBL!) and HBAS from their WiiU.
    Also, you can drop the "2" when you're talking about haxchi installation (the "2" is neither in the name of the installer (it's in its version only) neither in the title set by the installer for the DS game).
    Also the list of compatible games has been updated and is currently (4 more games than your current list):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    (to get a nice bbcode I got the list from here, then with Notepad++ I replaced .*"(.*)".* with $1 (searching mode = regular expressions) then replaced \n\n with \n[*] (searching mode = extended mode) if you ever need to reproduce this)

Last edited by BDS, Dec 8, 2016
  20. Kafluke
    OP

United States
    I've added numbers to your points so I can comment on each in order.
    1. Good tip!
    2. I could cover tons on the browser stuff but they only really need to visit the site once to get to the haxchi installer. I'll stay on top of the site that I recommend and keep it updated.
    3. THATS where I messed up! I was trying to figure out what you were saying about HBAS lite. I couldn't find a link for it on the site you linked. I was browsing on my PC not my wii u. I'll test that and fix that section. Thanks for the heads up.
    4. I'll have to install the latest version and test again. Even when I changed the icon and other things it always said "haxchi 2" above the square icon in the main menu.
    5. Awesome thanks!