Hacking Give me your best estimate, what CPU will be "good enough" for 7th gen/Wii U emulation?

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a 360 emulator running Eragon (and Catherine) at full speed, he's running on a CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.20 Ghz (4 cores, overclocked, $300). More playable 360 games will run around full speed with that CPU going by his channel. From what I'm looking at here I'm guessing we won't need any more than this CPU to run 360 games, at least as Xernia progresses.

Eragon (360, full speed)

Catherine (360, full speed)

He recently uploaded a video featuring Rpcs3

Silent Hill 3 HD (PS3, around 2/3 full speed, It looks like he upgraded to Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.60 Ghz) (4 cores, overclocked, $430)

If I had to guess I'd say rpcs3 isn't as optimized as it could be. Obviously 3ds will run full speed on any of these CPUs as it gets to be more optimized.

Now what I want to know, how many cores do Xernia Rpcs3 and Cemu make use of?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine four, but that all depends on how well optimized they are. That's also going to determine the minimum spec to emulate at full speed. i5s and i7s are always a safe bet, and as the emulators are improved those CPUs will almost certainly handle 360/PS3/WiiU games without much issue.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point? I honestly don't know. We'll get a better idea as Cemu, and other emulators that might pop up, get further in development. As it is, I doubt more than four cores would be fully utilized and I doubt anything under 4GHz would have much hope running it at fullspeed. Even then, I'd consider that optimistic. That's an incredibly rough estimate, so just take it as me talking out of my ass for the most part. There's just not much foundation for an estimate like that right now.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Here is the thing: PS3 and Xbox360 emulation will most likely not be a thing for years, and common CPU's you can get NOW probably will not cut it when they finally are a thing. Cell and Xenon which is really just a modified Cell (do not bother making snarky "XBOX IS A DIFFERENT THING" just wikipedia Xenon in 360) are hard to emulate. They just will not be a outright thing for years.
At moment the progress will be slow if not in grinding halt. Want proof? Look at where xbox emulation is. Not 360 emulation. Xbox emulation. Thus far There has been only one xbox emulator that could boot one commercial game, that being halo, and not even able to play that at full speed. That is xbox. Cell is something that will take years to be emulated well enough. Wii U also.

Unless you want to be just silly, do not be shopping for a computer for future emulation NOW. Buy that darn machine when you actually can emulate there is no reason to dump loads of money into something that will still take years to happen and meanwhile you spent money on hardware you are not fully using and you end up needing to replace anyway once those emulators hit.

If you want to play those games so bad; Dump some money on modded PS3 Saves you TONS of money trust me. Modded 360 too if you feel adventurous. Beyond that the world is your oyster.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason why Dolphin runs so well is because the devs are legendary. If you think you're going to be playing retail 360/Wii U games as smoothly as that anytime soon then I've got some bad news for you.

Regardless, in the early stages (as they are) you're going to need powerful hardware for shoddy performance. Wait a few years and if development goes smoothly then your options will be limitless.

If it's any consolation I'm running an i5-4690k and GTX 970 (both overclocked) and I too fall into the wait a few years group. Don't hold your breath if you're on a laptop or some pissant dual core because you'll die of asphyxiation.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I fail to see how. I'd rather spend $250 on a good CPU than $100 on something outdated and another $250 to replace it shortly after.
what you're talking about isn't future proofing. the simple fact about future proofing is that you can't know what'l advances will be done in the coming years. so its pointless to try and preempt them. it's best to just buy a PC that plays current games well, instead of spending a lot extra to try and make it so it'l play games well for the next 2-4 years.it's usually more cost effective because it keeps your PC more up to date.

Last edited by dimmidice,
Reactions: Nightwish

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a 360 emulator running Eragon (and Catherine) at full speed, he's running on a CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.20 Ghz (4 cores, overclocked, $300). More playable 360 games will run around full speed with that CPU going by his channel. From what I'm looking at here I'm guessing we won't need any more than this CPU to run 360 games, at least as Xernia progresses.

Eragon (360, full speed)

Catherine (360, full speed)

He recently uploaded a video featuring Rpcs3

Silent Hill 3 HD (PS3, around 2/3 full speed, It looks like he upgraded to Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.60 Ghz) (4 cores, overclocked, $430)

If I had to guess I'd say rpcs3 isn't as optimized as it could be. Obviously 3ds will run full speed on any of these CPUs as it gets to be more optimized.

How are there both xbox 360 and ps3 emulators yet there is still no original xbox emulator that works like that?

frankGT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I know it's hyperthreading, still easier to call it a quad-core.
I'll make up a new word for hyperthreading then... Shitty-core hehe

Hyperthreding is just a glorified waiting line to use the real core... Easier to call it what it is, a dual core. :grog:

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I fail to see how. I'd rather spend $250 on a good CPU than $100 on something outdated and another $250 to replace it shortly after.

You're comparing the wrong thing.

It depends on how long before you expect the $250 cpu to be replaced & when you need that performance.
You could for example buy either

$250 2015 cpu

or

$100 2015 cpu & $100 2017 cpu

Future proofing normally means buying the most expensive cpu, rather than the one that has enough performance for today. That definitely isn't the most cost effective as the prices aren't linear.

The mid range cpu's are usually the best price/performance.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are there both xbox 360 and ps3 emulators yet there is still no original xbox emulator that works like that?
Probably a combination of lack of interest from developers and how inherently difficult emulating different X86 instruction sets can be. I wouldn't really know about the rest of the hardware. I haven't a clue how hard it would be to pull off emulating the video hardware.

Reactions: cvskid

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the thing: PS3 and Xbox360 emulation will most likely not be a thing for years, and common CPU's you can get NOW probably will not cut it when they finally are a thing. Cell and Xenon which is really just a modified Cell (do not bother making snarky "XBOX IS A DIFFERENT THING" just wikipedia Xenon in 360) are hard to emulate. They just will not be a outright thing for years.
At moment the progress will be slow if not in grinding halt. Want proof? Look at where xbox emulation is. Not 360 emulation. Xbox emulation. Thus far There has been only one xbox emulator that could boot one commercial game, that being halo, and not even able to play that at full speed. That is xbox. Cell is something that will take years to be emulated well enough. Wii U also.

Unless you want to be just silly, do not be shopping for a computer for future emulation NOW. Buy that darn machine when you actually can emulate there is no reason to dump loads of money into something that will still take years to happen and meanwhile you spent money on hardware you are not fully using and you end up needing to replace anyway once those emulators hit.

If you want to play those games so bad; Dump some money on modded PS3 Saves you TONS of money trust me. Modded 360 too if you feel adventurous. Beyond that the world is your oyster.

There are many things wrong with your post. First off, 360 and PS3 emulators are a thing, right now. Not tomorrow, not in ten years, right now. Secondly there is an Xbox emulator that is progressing further than Halo.

You also said progress is expected to come to a grinding halt just as that other failed Xbox emulator. The difference is this time interest is there, plus these emulators are open source.

Lastly I'm building a new pc anyway and even if I won't be able to play ps3 games ever, there are 360 games I'll be able to play immediately, because there is a functional somewhat optimized 360 emulator right now.

Reactions: cvskid

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what you're talking about isn't future proofing. the simple fact about future proofing is that you can't know what'l advances will be done in the coming years. so its pointless to try and preempt them. it's best to just buy a PC that plays current games well, instead of spending a lot extra to try and make it so it'l play games well for the next 2-4 years.it's usually more cost effective because it keeps your PC more up to date.
That's usually in essence, the idea of future proofing, only taking it a step further and making current games run great or stupendous. Meaning future games, will be more likely run, at the very least, good or acceptable for most, or at least more forgiving, PC gamers. I can't run all new games in 1080p full hd max quality or anything, but my 7770GHz reference card from like 2011-2012, it still runs most games I want quite acceptably. Future proofing is not so much a myth as it is proper research and proper investment.

It depends what you do, what you plan to do, and how long you want it to last. Having unrealistic expectations like 7+, hell even 5+ years (imo), on hardware without needing to upgrade still is a whole different matter altogether. I know I need to upgrade, but that doesn't mean I didn't choose hardware that's benefited me for a long time vs an upgrade every year or two. I'll save the extra trip of purchases myself, thanks.

Most people who talk about future proofing aren't talking about programming, running servers, or anything like that. They're just normal users. And yes, they can future proof for most of the crap they do usually. Advances like opengl and directx are the only ones you need to watch for, and even those can be made compatible as seen with DX11 and DX12. As well as my AMD card now supporting the Mantle API.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's usually in essence, the idea of future proofing, only taking it a step further and making current games run great or stupendous. Meaning future games, will be more likely run, at the very least, good or acceptable for most, or at least more forgiving, PC gamers. I can't run all new games in 1080p full hd max quality or anything, but my 7770GHz reference card from like 2011-2012, it still runs most games I want quite acceptably. Future proofing is not so much a myth as it is proper research and proper investment.

It depends what you do, what you plan to do, and how long you want it to last. Having unrealistic expectations like 7+, hell even 5+ years (imo), on hardware without needing to upgrade still is a whole different matter altogether. I know I need to upgrade, but that doesn't mean I didn't choose hardware that's benefited me for a long time vs an upgrade every year or two. I'll save the extra trip of purchases myself, thanks.

Most people who talk about future proofing aren't talking about programming, running servers, or anything like that. They're just normal users. And yes, they can future proof for most of the crap they do usually. Advances like opengl and directx are the only ones you need to watch for, and even those can be made compatible as seen with DX11 and DX12. As well as my AMD card now supporting the Mantle API.
and its likely you would've gotten more bang for your buck if you hadn't gone with top of the line hardware.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
then you didn't future proof. you just bought a PC.
I never said I future proofed jackass. All I said was I chose hardware that has benefited me for a long time. Quit trolling, grow up, and learn something about technology instead of being a snotty little or old brat. I explained what future proofing is to you. I can't help that your mental retardation prevents you from learning. No one who knows anything about building a computer in their right mind should be expecting their components to magically upgrade their internal chips, diodes, resistors, die-sizes, speeds, technology etc on their own.

"Future-proofing is the process of anticipating the future and developing methods of minimizing the effects of shocks and stresses of future events"

"to design software, a computer, etc. so that it can still be used in the future, even when technology changes:"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1