Homebrew gbaemu4ds: GBA emulator for DS(i) (DSi Entry)

Is the graphic better if you use the sc Version and the upper screen on a 3DS

• I can't do that (have no 3DS) (have not tested that)

Votes: 110 40.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 48 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 89 32.6%

• Total voters

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Vigilante said:
Has anyone tried it on a ds flashcart?

Yes, it runs on real hardware, but only about 1fps without sound. Even in DSi mode it isn't much use, there are plenty of good gba homebrew out there, however running it a 1 or 2fps without sound really isn't fun.

I am going to voice a concern right now, please don't take it as a troll attempt.
Looking at the hardware this is running on, I doubt it will get much better. Although this is a great proof of concept, it is in no way a usable emulator. I imagine people are bursting at the seams ready to vote this for 1st place, remember, it is going to be impossible to get this up to full speed at a decent frame rate + sound. I'm not saying it isn't good, but I don't like big prizes going to unfinished or impossible homebrew just because the idea is cool. Please remember that when voting time comes. If it does show significant improvement before the deadline, I would have no problem voting for it myself, but if that does not happen, I don't expect said improvement to occur after the deadline.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To be honest, i doubt it's the way to go for a gba emulator in DSi mode.
I'm more to think of a way to emulate the DS bios (slot 2 mode) in DSi mode than a pure GBA emulator.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Vigilante said:
Has anyone tried it on a ds flashcart?
I got it working on my Acekard 2i. AKAIO 1.8.6 too. But, it's still slow. I thought of something, but I'd be contradicting myself if I said so.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes but im talking about dsi mode
if we implement some sort of gba fw into it to have access to the sd card for sudohax or what ever then the only emulation needed is to make the fw think the rom on sd card is the cart. the menu would have the user select a rom and it would boot the rom with the moddified fw and run the dsi in some sort of underclocked way. im just not smart enough to do this in programing terms

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i said EMULATE THE SLOT 2
meaning that the fw would think that the sdcard slot rom was the cart in SLOT 2
the cpou would run the regular ds firmware version in ds like mode with access to the sdcard
aka this would need access to dsi mode and underclock the cpu to run the gba rom in the ds lite firmware

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
o.0 I'm pointlessly lost at what you are attempting to say.
You mean, use DSi mode to access the SD slot, magically shift to DS mode which can't use the SD slot at all, and then play a GBA game that has to somehow work because the DS mode that can't access the SD slot says so, AND have the GBA get redirected from random SD stuff to random Slot2 stuff almost like what SNEEK/UNEEK do for the Wii...meaning it would require something of what Rydian already said...yeah...so...I like pie.

-btw-
Mbmax's idea sounds more plausible...though where the actual data would be held...I have no clue.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What you're talking about is virtualization.

Not happening until the 3DS firmware is cracked, and even then it could take years for somebody to make an accurate VM for it. Hell, an emulator will come out before that.

EDIT: And by "cracked" I don't mean just removing protections to play homebrew and backups, I'm talking understood like to where the PSP is where people can code plugins and shit that run in the main OS, and even by that point an emulator will be a lot less work than virtualization.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Well, if I may, could I suggest RAM virtualization? Since most retail roms easily hit 64 MB, and this DS image is not even 800KB, why not ramp up the DS image size to allow for virtual RAM to increase the speed of the emulator, and just have it pump sound and images to the speakers and screen? The reason I didn't want to suggest this is because it would use the DS's RAM and it might not work.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
I'm more to think of a way to emulate the DS bios (slot 2 mode) in DSi mode than a pure GBA emulator.
Impossible. There is no GBA hardware in the DSi so basically there's nowehere for the BIOS to run without an emulator for the processor and so we wind up back at square one again. BIOS helps for compatibility but you need an emu to run well first.

This is a pretty cool proof of concept. It'll probs never get anywhere near fullspeed without sound though. Possibly with a SLot 2 cart you could get retail games loaded and transferring to and from DS RAM fast enough (unless you've got a crappy cart like my Supercard which doesn't overclock the RAM) to be viable but then processor speed comes in and puts a blocker on the efforts. Look forward to seeing how far this can get though

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
update

Changelog:

r4
fixed key detection
hwspeedup: fixed BG mode 3,4,5 but not good yet
hwspeedup: little speedup
hwspeedup: speedup by dmaCopy
hwspeedup: size decrease the nds is about 80KB smaller
hwspeedup: little menü for changing the fps that are generated not good yet

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Mbmax said:
Impossible. There is no GBA hardware in the DSi so basically there's nowehere for the BIOS to run without an emulator for the processor and so we wind up back at square one again. BIOS helps for compatibility but you need an emu to run well first.
So, tell me. What are the specifications of the GBA and which components in the dslite are used to run in GBA mode ?
QUOTE(ichichfly @ Mar 10 2011, 06:15 PM)
update

Changelog:

r4
fixed key detection
hwspeedup: fixed BG mode 3,4,5 but not good yet
hwspeedup: little speedup
hwspeedup: speedup by dmaCopy
hwspeedup: size decrease the nds is about 80KB smaller
hwspeedup: little menü for changing the fps that are generated not good yet
Thanks ichichfly for this update.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News