Hacking Gateway: Latest system update 8.x

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by "doubt that'll ever happen"? I think you may of misunderstood my post, all I said was that system firmware 4.1 to 4.5 are supported and the 7.x firmware encryption that gateway was talking about is only game support. I wasnt suggesting that gateway would ever exploit beyond 4.5.. especially since it's been so long since 4.5 and they havent found a loop hole beyond 4.5.

What I meant to say is as for the non emunand portion, 4.x is pretty much a PS3-esque situation in that only certain % of 3DS consoles will be able to use the Gateway. As for cracking beyond 4.x firmware, or finding an exploit, will be nigh-on impossible to decrypt.

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I meant to say is as for the non emunand portion, 4.x is pretty much a PS3-esque situation in that only certain % of 3DS consoles will be able to use the Gateway. As for cracking beyond 4.x firmware, or finding an exploit, will be nigh-on impossible to decrypt.

There are rumors that the added "masterkey.bin" to the NAND in 7.2 might be a mistake by nintendo that might give possibility to an exploit.. but it's most likely a masterkey reset for parental controls or something lolz Either way, we can never say never...

ShocWave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, at least we know that people who updated their emunand to 8.0 have a chance of getting it recovered instead of having to re-format.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Still on shelf here in New Zealand everywhere, basically all except newer bundles, alot of the blue red and silvers still

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think he means himself along with everyone else on 5.x or 6.x which are LOTS of people.. I personally had a very hard time even finding a 4.1 to 4.5 this year.

Yes, I am just noting the use of "we".

There is a generalization of his particular wish, although that wish is not in any way common to all.

He could have said, "all those on 5.x and 6.x want compatibility". He did not.

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I am just noting the use of "we".

There is a generalization of his particular wish, although that wish is not in any way common to all.

He could have said, "all those on 5.x and 6.x want compatibility". He did not.

That's like 8 words instead of 1 haha but I know what you mean.. keep in mind that people with firmware higher than 4.5 are dreaming of this possibility, so lets not burst that hope as it is always a possibilty. ;)

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's like 8 words instead of 1 haha but I know what you mean.. keep in mind that people with firmware higher than 4.5 are dreaming of this possibility, so lets not burst that hope as it is always a possibilty. ;)

However, with 7.x and now 8.x, 5.x and 6.x will soon be obsolete.

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
However, with 7.x and now 8.x, 5.x and 6.x will soon be obsolete.

Well I'm assuming people that are interested in gateway with 5.x or 6.x would be smart enough to STAY on that firmware in case and not upgrade to 7.x or 8.x in the case of an exploit. It would not be obsolete if gateway somehow cracked it, however my guess is if they end up cracking a new firmware it will be a NEWER firmware with a new exposed exploit.. again unlikely. Nintendo knows whats up. Anyway I'm no freakin psychic ok :P

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
is it possible to update the emunand to 7.x? I want to play Mario Kart online but my emunand is still on 4.5, do you need the latest firmware to access the eshop to download the mario kart patch? Is there a way to play online without the patch or access the shop without being on 8.x?

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible to update the emunand to 7.x? I want to play Mario Kart online but my emunand is still on 4.5, do you need the latest firmware to access the eshop to download the mario kart patch? Is there a way to play online without the patch or access the shop without being on 8.x?

Not really. Yes. No.

DarkKnightPT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
no, just get mario kart 7 revision version it has update included

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
yup, you can play it online without any problem
Ah awesome, so this kind of relates to a different question I have in another thread:

Even if the latest update broke emunand assuming you still had a lower emunand version that worked wouldn't you still be able to play roms and retail games? Isn't there some way to get around the firmware updates on retail cards (say for example if version 9.0 broke gateway and smash bros shipped with 9.0 then you should be good to go as long as you're on an emunand version that isn't broken?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Woody's got wood.