"System update is ready"

steamcheapcom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the methods for migrating my SD card worked so I started from scratch. I used http://switch.homebrew.guide. It said to use some custom DNS servers they specified and I did this. I don't know what method I used to block updates before.

When I go to my system settings to check that I'm in emuNand I don't see any firmware version, but I notice under "System Update" it says "System update is ready". I thought I had blocked this, so naturally I am confused. I assume a system update will break Atmosphere or something. Why did this happen and what can I do about it? How do I prevent updates from downloading?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You can remove the pending update if you enter maintenance mode.

To remove it from sysNAND / OFW:
  1. Make sure that your Internet connection is disabled if you're connected right now and remove any saved connections as well.
  2. Turn off your console (when in home menu, hold the power button for a few seconds and select power off).
  3. Hold volume + and volume - at the same time and, while holding them, press the power button. After a while your Switch will enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending update is deleted and cache is cleared.
  4. Press the power button once again. It'll shut down the console. The pending update should no longer be there.
On emuNAND, it's a bit different:
  1. Make sure that your Internet connection is disabled if you're connected right now and remove any saved connections as well (unless you have DNS MITM in place).
  2. Turn off your console (when in home menu, hold the power button for a few seconds and select power off).
  3. Right before you send your fusse.bin payload, hold volume + and volume - at the same time. Keep holding until you get into maintenance mode (you'll see Atmosphere bootlogo first, Switch logo after that one). After a while your Switch should enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending updates and cache is cleared, you don't need to press and/or select anything.
  4. Press the power button once again. It'll shut down the console.
  5. Boot into CFW the way you usually do and make sure to activate flight mode. (Connecting to the Internet is safe only if you have DNS MITM in place.)
  6. The pending update should no longer be there.
Since you probably didn't remove the pending update on OFW, it got carried over to emuNAND upon creation.
I assume a system update will break Atmosphere or something.
That's usually the case so always check if the Hekate and Atmosphere (and sigpatches, if you use game backups) support the version you're updating to before doing an update.

It said to use some custom DNS servers they specified and I did this.
If it's 90DNS you're talking about, you need to set it up for each and every connection your have, either manually or automatically with this homebrew. However, DNS MITM is much better as you need to set it up only once.

Why did this happen and what can I do about it? How do I prevent updates from downloading?
You might have connected to another network? Disable automatic software updates in the system setting and set up DNS MITM.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very informative post above me, except for one thing. As long as you have the LATEST Atmosphere and hekate, the update will absolutely not break cfw, and you actually WANT to update on emuMMC. Tomb Raider I-III remake requires it (17.0.1, which is the latest), for one. Probably all future releases as well.

Do follow the above post and clear the update from sysMMC, if you must. If your sysMMC is above FW 4, then there is really no point, and you should update that too. Either way, don't forget to dump your keys again after updating either. And don't forget to grab the latest sigpatches.

steamcheapcom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can remove the pending update if you enter maintenance mode.

To remove it from sysNAND / OFW:
  1. Make sure that your Internet connection is disabled if you're connected right now and remove any saved connections as well.
  3. Hold volume + and volume - at the same time and, while holding them, press the power button. After a while your Switch will enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending update is deleted and cache is cleared.
  4. Press the power button once again. It'll shut down the console. The pending update should no longer be there.
On emuNAND, it's a bit different:
  1. Make sure that your Internet connection is disabled if you're connected right now and remove any saved connections as well (unless you have DNS MITM in place).
  3. Right before you send your fusse.bin payload, hold volume + and volume - at the same time. Keep holding until you get into maintenance mode (you'll see Atmosphere bootlogo first, Switch logo after that one). After a while your Switch should enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending updates and cache is cleared, you don't need to press and/or select anything.
  4. Press the power button once again. It'll shut down the console.
  5. Boot into CFW the way you usually do and make sure to activate flight mode. (Connecting to the Internet is safe only if you have DNS MITM in place.)
  6. The pending update should no longer be there.
Since you probably didn't remove the pending update on OFW, it got carried over to emuNAND upon creation.

That's usually the case so always check if the Hekate and Atmosphere (and sigpatches, if you use game backups) support the version you're updating to before doing an update.

If it's 90DNS you're talking about, you need to set it up for each and every connection your have, either manually or automatically with this homebrew. However, DNS MITM is much better as you need to set it up only once.

You might have connected to another network? Disable automatic software updates in the system setting and set up DNS MITM.
Thank you. I was able to remove the system updates with Goldleaf and I will set up MITM.

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0