Hacking Gateway: Latest system update 8.x

DarkKnightPT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
if the game uses old sdk encryption it will run on gateway despite firmware version that the game requires to play, because gateway and mt-card spoofs the games firmware on emunand

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah awesome, so this kind of relates to a different question I have in another thread:

Even if the latest update broke emunand assuming you still had a lower emunand version that worked wouldn't you still be able to play roms and retail games? Isn't there some way to get around the firmware updates on retail cards (say for example if version 9.0 broke gateway and smash bros shipped with 9.0 then you should be good to go as long as you're on an emunand version that isn't broken?)
It depends on how it works. In some cases that might work, other cases it wouldn't.
Also for Mario Kart you need to obtain the rom that has the 1.1 patch included, it's the only way to play online if you can't download the patch yourself.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hope Gateway Team take time. I can wait, til the next Patch for my Online Games comes out. But since Hardware Mod, I am fine for now. Even if Gateway get broken.

But still hope that the Gateway Team will figure out the Keys / Encryption.

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on how it works. In some cases that might work, other cases it wouldn't.
Also for Mario Kart you need to obtain the rom that has the 1.1 patch included, it's the only way to play online if you can't download the patch yourself.
Why would it work in some cases and not in others? Kind of sucks if the gateway dies then we won't be able to play any new games without losing our gateway functionality

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would it work in some cases and not in others? Kind of sucks if the gateway dies then we won't be able to play any new games without losing our gateway functionality
If the required firmware actually includes something new such as new features or new security, chances are it really won't work on lower without some serious work (like now with the whole 7.X encryption issue). If it's simply a version number change or stability and whatnot, you can just spoof the version and it'll run even on lower versions.

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
If the required firmware actually includes something new such as new features or new security, chances are it really won't work on lower without some serious work (like now with the whole 7.X encryption issue). If it's simply a version number change or stability and whatnot, you can just spoof the version and it'll run even on lower versions.

Ah I see, just have this horrible feeling Gateway will either stop updating or hit a brick wall with their card and I'd have just spent 50 odd quid on an flash card that won't be able to play new games.
In their update they kind of implied at some point they'll hit a brick wall where they need new hardware:
'We can already say that this will be possible with the current gateway hardware and will be supported in the form of a regular firmware update.'
Current gateway hardware, kind of suggests it works for now but probably won't in the future :(

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ah I see, just have this horrible feeling Gateway will either stop updating or hit a brick wall with their card and I'd have just spent 50 odd quid on an flash card that won't be able to play new games.
In their update they kind of implied at some point they'll hit a brick wall where they need new hardware:
'We can already say that this will be possible with the current gateway hardware and will be supported in the form of a regular firmware update.'
Current gateway hardware, kind of suggests it works for now but probably won't in the future :(

or it was just to clarify the fact before people start speculating that they are making a new card again, could also be a dig at the other cards that they have another trick up their sleeves,

groit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
99% of games right now work with 7.1 nonetheless, I hope they release the 8.x verson for gateway soon

Chaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just don't get the gateway other than piracy :S I mean why go through all this trouble every few months it would do my head in. Just buy your games like you should and enjoy the console.

I know region free, homebrew.. but the homebrew scene is fairly dead at the moment doubt many people if any actually use it for that anyway, region free not many games worth playing outside region you are in anyway.

Totally not worth the effort and spend imo. buy the games second hand or something :/

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't get the gateway other than piracy :S I mean why go through all this trouble every few months it would do my head in. Just buy your games like you should and enjoy the console.

I know region free, homebrew.. but the homebrew scene is fairly dead at the moment doubt many people if any actually use it for that anyway, region free not many games worth playing outside region you are in anyway.

Totally not worth the effort and spend imo. buy the games second hand or something :/

Id be willing to bet 99.999% of all gateway users are using gateway for pirated game. You are crazy if you believe otherwise

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id be willing to bet 99.999% of all gateway users are using gateway for pirated game. You are crazy if you believe otherwise
Well, I don't use mine for piracy. Unless the ratio of Pirate to Non-Pirate is over 99,999 to 1, I think it might be slightly less. :P

Rinnux

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't use mine for piracy. Unless the ratio of Pirate to Non-Pirate is over 99,999 to 1, I think it might be slightly less. :P

It has no other purpose. Yeah sure it can run homebrew, but there's hardly any homebrew out there. Why would you spend $80ish on a flashcart and not use it for playing roms?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually do use it for region free. I am completely used to Luke's (from Professor Layton) US voice and wouldn't want to get the UK games, much less the Dutch ones.
I also use it for, let's call it, demo purposes. I use the Gateway to try out games without any restrictions, and if I like it, I'll buy it. It's how I got into many gaming franchises.

Reactions: justinkb

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Besides, who wants to carry around tons of their cartridges all the time when you could back them up once and put them on one sdcard.

Reactions: Nurio

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides, who wants to carry around tons of their cartridges all the time when you could back them up once and put them on one sdcard.

Well I doubt anyone would pay upwards of 80 dollars just to hold backups. I have no doubt in my mind that everyone who bought one, bought it for piracy reasons (With the "backing up" deal mentioned, as well. - But piracy definitely played a part in everyone's decision to buy one. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.)

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hey bud, you know this thread is in the hacking and homebrew section, that's what we talk about here. Not everybody that has a flashcart is exclusively a pirate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong