Hacking Gateway Files succesfully Decrypted

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although you can't make a homebrew loader with just ROP, if GW indeed has a kernel exploit, it's a matter of finding out how signature checks are made, using ROP to patch it, and allow you to install homebrew. A homebrew loader is absolutely possible if they have kernel access.

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Of course the initial thing has to be small as it has to fit within the DS settings, but I thought Launcher.dat can be any size and it will execute it? Besides, to someone who knows what he is doing, 1MB of ROP calls can probably accomplish a whole lot (at least, I thought launcher.dat was 1MB?)
I only found about 1424 Byte ROP in the decrypted launcher.dat the rest is most likely not ROP or encrypted.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Although you can't make a homebrew loader with just ROP, if GW indeed has a kernel exploit, it's a matter of finding out how signature checks are made, using ROP to patch it, and allow you to install homebrew. A homebrew loader is absolutely possible if they have kernel access.

Do you think this also will require a flash card?
I personally do think so.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not sure if this is good news or bad news.

If you found 80 bucks for the gateway too much, you will likely find getting a gateway clone from the R4 clone makers for way less than 80 more affordable.

What will likely bite every gateway clone buyer in the ass is that a new 3DS firmware will likely mean buying another gateway clone to replace the non-upgradable clone they just bought.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can be good because more people have access to the information, furthering the progress of hacking.
It also means hold on to your firmware, boys and girls, this maybe patched VERY soon. You know, can anyone tell me how "easy" this is to patch via a firmware update? Also, I have always kinda thought about this route as a way to exploit the system, I guess I predicted correctly.

rsdroopy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If GW is indeed a kernel exploit, then the hardware is not needed at all. A Rom loader on the SD card is all you need. GW team put it on the hardware because it is the only way they can make some money. I bet the exploit will be found out very soon and homebrew and ROM loader will follow. No one will buy the GW card anymore.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you found 80 bucks for the gateway too much, you will likely find getting a gateway clone from the R4 clone makers for way less than 80 more affordable.

What will likely bite every gateway clone buyer in the ass is that a new 3DS firmware will likely mean buying another gateway clone to replace the non-upgradable clone they just bought.
The thing is that a 3DS firmware update is extremely likely to permanently block the GW as well, they even said this themselves.

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Plus you got to factor in the part of games potentially using NAND dumps now like with Animal Crossing, so this could hinder some roms for quite some time until its exploited.

But to be honest, you gotta give it up to the GW3DS team for actually making it possible to play 3DS roms since alot of people were waiting for this.

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its kinda funny with the negative attitude towards the GW. Typically clone carts get 0 updates after its release, and people are already looking to buy clones so early in the hack scene for the 3ds? Smart?

It really depends on the people who make the clone, and are willing to update it. Take the risk, buy a clone, and never play a new game on the 3ds until you update to a more recent clone cart, or get a 1st party cart, with updates that can potentially reach to the end of the 3ds.

For me i like long term answers rather then short term, gimme gimme gimme gimme.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
its using teh "mset hack" on teh 3DS which is documented on 3DS Brew

maybe you should check there site as its on there front page about the homebrew loader

just dont update any more ;D
id stay on 6.2.0 at least as nintendo will now most likely remove the "mset hack" with the next update
The only thing on their site that mentions homebrew is this:
- Can it play Homebrew?
No.
And I do not think they would spend that much effort on something that isn't a big benefit in the end.
They would have to code an entire SDK for homebrew, which would mean they would have to find out how every little part of the 3DS works so they can write libraries to interface with software and hardware.
Also they would have to code their own sandbox so people couldn't make homebrew with full kernel access and potentially find out enough to create a proper CFW.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing on their site that mentions homebrew is this:

And I do not think they would spend that much effort on something that isn't a big benefit in the end.
They would have to code an entire SDK for homebrew, which would mean they would have to find out how every little part of the 3DS works so they can write libraries to interface with software and hardware.
Also they would have to code their own sandbox so people couldn't make homebrew with full kernel access and potentially find out enough to create a proper CFW.

Refuted. Look closer next time. Clearly says they're working on homebrew as we speak, the FAQ only implies it can't be done for the time being. Obviously an SDK needs to be coded for programs to be made, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. So yeah, don't discount the possibly only because you read that part of the FAQ, because it clearly says on the main page that it's being worked on as well.

PrNTEWy.jpg

The thing is that a 3DS firmware update is extremely likely to permanently block the GW as well, they even said this themselves.

Simple. Don't update the firmware and disable WiFi.

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
Do hope they can get some progress on it quickly, they already managed region unlocking which I thought wouldn't happen for a good time. Gotta play that senran kagura man :P hehe

Senran Kagura was confirmed for the west a few days ago.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Refuted. Look closer next time. Clearly says they're working on homebrew as we speak, the FAQ only implies it can't be done for the time being. Obviously an SDK needs to be coded for programs to be made, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. So yeah, don't discount the possibly only because you read that part of the FAQ, because it clearly says on the main page that it's being worked on as well.

PrNTEWy.jpg

Simple. Don't update the firmware and disable WiFi.
Ah they spelled it with a dash so ctrl+f didn't work. Well that's great news, didn't expect that. As said though they will have to code a sandbox, but for everyone else's sake let's hope they don't so we can blow this thing wide open :P

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox +1