Hacking GATEWAY 3DS WONT BOOT EMUNAND AFTER EMUNAND UPDATE

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually I stick on what I saw on youtube. (linked given on my PM/DM) since it still works, so b9 is not yet running on my console.
however, due to what ive done and followed the vid on youtube. every time i open friend codes on emunand it always freeze.
but i do connect online with no problems at all.

Which tutorial? Can you link it? I want to see what it entails. Most of those tutorials are quick and dirty methods that leave out important steps. BEWARE! The friends List CAN take a while to populate. If that's the case then you already know because it's working.

I HIGHLY recommend you do this the correct way. A shoddy install can jeopardize your 3ds. I recommend your next move to go B9S. Use the guide. I would back up your emunand first using Godmode9. Make a backup of your SD. Simply by installing B9S and going through the guide you will
  • BOOT CORRECTLY: Boot 100% of the time! Boot time is identical to a stock system! Loading times too! You can even skip the system menu all together and install GodMode9 to your NAND with some tinkering!. (not for noobs)
  • FINALLY BE SAFE!: Luma uses up to date safety checks. You can update, go online, do anything you want and you won't loose you exploit, lose homebrew or in general be stuck fixing your 3ds.
  • RUN UP TO DATE SYSTEM SOFTWARE!: If you stay up to date your (Fre)E-Shop Will WORK! Your Friends list, NNID functions, Multiplayer and ALL OTHER FUNCTIONS will work (Excpet Miiverse Obviously.)
  • RUN GAMES WITH NO PATCHES!: You can download directly from FREE-shop. Everything works. No Spoofing. No patching, no header issues. etc.
  • PATCHING CODE ON THE FLY!: IPS patching support is fun! Swap game elements on the fly! Like SALTY SD. Lots of mods.
  • ROSALINA!: Rosalina is a menu built in to Luma using a hot key combo. Lots of cool functions. You can inject FBI to a sys app. Way cleaner.
  • RUN HOMEBREW!: In the Rosalina iteration of homebrew launcher you will enjoy much better compatibility! and be able to jump in and out using the Home key like a real app!
  • BETTER BATTERY LIFE!: Even having the GW in the slot drains the battery to be fair. Even if its not engaged. But you'll see a large increase in play time over running anything off the GW cart.
  • USE THE NEWEST HACKS!: There is all sorts of new things you can do. That AIO pack I keep mentioning has kept me entertained on its own for weeks. Lots of CFW's and everything.
  • CHEAT!: You can boot in to NTR CFW and you can run and search cheats just like GW. The codes are different but can be converted from GW and the NTR cheats database is WAY more up to date than GW these days.
  • PROTECT YOUR SYSTEM FROM THEFT OR UNWANTED EYES!: Luma has an optional PIN to lock the 3ds. You can put a custom message on it too! (Like REWARD IF FOUND (xxx)xxx-xxxx. with SD in and STOLEN!! DO NOT PAWN! without the SD!)
  • RUN MULTIPLE EMUNANDS!: Luma supports multiple EMUnands including your GW one if you don't frankenfirm it! You can have EMUnand for different regions! Go online in different markets! You can have one for the KIDS!
  • ACCESS THE BONUS DRIVE!: There is a small amount of space Ninty uses in the update process you'll be able to access and store files there. Super secret stealth drive for giggles!
  • NO NEED TO HARD MOD!: You can easily recover you NAND!! You can mess around with pretty much anything and you'll be safe. Mistakes made in GW mode can cause your system to brick or become unhackable without an NTRboot compatible device (GW Blue support for BootNTR might be coming soon though! Some devs from here are CURRENTLY working on it. Progress seems to have been made in the last week or 2.)

Plus you can STILL RUN YOUR GW!. I am really trying to sell you on moving to Luma for the most part but keeping GW in play too. It's by far the most sane way to do this. You could be in for a heap of trouble if you stay on GW as your primary.

The process below is easier than you think. under an hour to complete for me.

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD:

1. FOLLOW THE GUIDE: THE MOST IMPORTANT AND WISEST THING TO DO TO YOUR SYSTEM. People are usually happy they did! I would definitely back up the EMUnand as soon as you have godmode9 (Do it now if you can run godmode9) Then finish the guide completing everything including the optional the move EMUnand section.
  2. REINSTALL EMUNAND. After the guide your EMUnand contents will be moved to the SYSnand and updated to 11.6. So, backup your 3DS SD, Use GodMode9 (hold START on boot) to "format with emunand" to make a new emunand partition (press HOME MENU BUTTON for emunand options in Godmode9). This will make a new EMUnand partition and format your SD. Copy the backup of your 3DS SD card you just made back to the SD. Boot in the GodMode9 and restore the backup you made before the guide.
  3. INSTALL GW! There are a lot of tutorials. I prefer using the "Gateway Payload converted to B9S" on the "official GW forum" (still not sure if ill get chastised for posting links to that place.) Inscripted's AIO pack from "that ISO site" will work to get you going in GW and all the other CFW's too and its install is SIMPLE if you like. PM me and ill get you going in 3 minutes once the guide is is done and your emunand is back.
  4. UNLINK NAND IF LINKED: Boot in to EMUnand using LUMA. (Hold SELECT on boot and enable Autoboot EmuNAND and Show NAND or user string in System Settings:) Make sure you are in EMUnand by going in to sys settings and making sure it says EMU. Install TINY FORMAT .CIA version on the EMUnand using FBI then run tiny format. MUST BE IN EMUNAND
The guide will get Luma going and copy your EMUnand to your SYSnand. Unlinking them is important for many reasons but you'll notice it wipes the EmuNAND clean. Emu will be empty with no NNID but will be fully functional OFFLINE for Gw. I would run most games in Luma anyway. You won't have issues online (unless you get banned cheater! Easy to unban anyway) No spoofing etc. Restoring your EMUnand back the way I said will already be GW compatible because it will still be 11.2. It will be empty but don't worry ALL THE DATA WILL BE IN THE SYSNAND(Luma). Then only use GW mode for games running off the RED CARD (mostly just to have an extra SD slot and use the GW. Non online games). Smart Clean Quick and Effective!

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO IN TO GW MODE ONLINE. (I don't recommend it. GW has no protection and you have to jump through hoops. Don't need to in Luma, Luma works) You can get online in GW mode using the tutorial I linked or possibly your method will be persistent and will already work. I don't know what tutorial you followed. Please link to it!

Last edited by mikefor20,

AlcuZan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope this is the right thread for my question.
So I ordered a new 2DS XL which should arrive tomorrow. Can I use my GW Card with it? My plan is to first install BS9 via DSiWare, as I have done many times before and then create an EmuNAND.
Then I want to make my GW Card work (please don't tell me to just use CFW, using GW is convenient for me and I want to use it as long as I can). I used sysupdater for that on my current new3DS and it works flawlessly.
Now the problem is that as far as I know, the n2DSXL comes with 11.4 minimum and the tutorial that I used before requires 11.2 max.
The first thing I would try is to take my current EmuNAND (on the new3DS) and use it on the 2DS. Since it's basically the same software, it should work, right? If that doesn't work though, I would try a CTRTransfer on the n2DSXL to get to 11.2 and then use sysupdater.
My fear is that this would break the EmuNAND.
Are my thoughts correct so far? Will this work or will I just break the EmuNAND?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I hope this is the right thread for my question.
So I ordered a new 2DS XL which should arrive tomorrow. Can I use my GW Card with it? My plan is to first install BS9 via DSiWare, as I have done many times before and then create an EmuNAND.
Then I want to make my GW Card work (please don't tell me to just use CFW, using GW is convenient for me and I want to use it as long as I can). I used sysupdater for that on my current new3DS and it works flawlessly.
Now the problem is that as far as I know, the n2DSXL comes with 11.4 minimum and the tutorial that I used before requires 11.2 max.
The first thing I would try is to take my current EmuNAND (on the new3DS) and use it on the 2DS. Since it's basically the same software, it should work, right? If that doesn't work though, I would try a CTRTransfer on the n2DSXL to get to 11.2 and then use sysupdater.
My fear is that this would break the EmuNAND.
Are my thoughts correct so far? Will this work or will I just break the EmuNAND?
Gateway can never work on 2DSXL because Gateway only works on 11.2 or less, and the 2DS XL comes on 11.4. The device may brick or not work correctly if downgraded, since it requires things in 11.4 to function. You cannot use NANDs from different consoles. If you restore a backup from another console to sysNAND it will brick and on emuNAND it will just brick the emuNAND.

You can either use normal CFW (recommended, there's nothing to be scared of), keep it stock, or trade your Gateway for a Sky3DS somehow (you'll likely lose money) and only be able to play cartridge releases, no homebrew or eShop games.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so ....my brother lost his N3DS and the red GW.......

Should have left the PIN active and had a Message on the pin screen for a "Reward if found" with serial number and contact info with the SD inserted then remove the SD and put and STOLEN! DO NOT PAWN W/Contact S/N. On my SD setup I put a wallpaper that says STOLEN with contact+S/N as well in case they figure out the password. I might make a bunch of themes and replace the system themes completely on the nand only setup. I had a modded Luma a while ago someone tweaked for me to allow another splash image just like the one luma already supports but it displayed as the backgroung to the PIN screen. I have Nedry from Jurrassic Park "AH AH AH You didn't say the magic word!" There is a password app but I am weary of installing it to the NAND.. With any of these things installed you might get a call... I hope it turns up. A lot of love goes in to some of these systems.

Gateway can never work on 2DSXL because Gateway only works on 11.2 or less, and the 2DS XL comes on 11.4. The device may brick or not work correctly if downgraded, since it requires things in 11.4 to function. You cannot use NANDs from different consoles. If you restore a backup from another console to sysNAND it will brick and on emuNAND it will just brick the emuNAND.

You can either use normal CFW (recommended, there's nothing to be scared of), keep it stock, or trade your Gateway for a Sky3DS somehow (you'll likely lose money) and only be able to play cartridge releases, no homebrew or eShop games.

While I doubt it works, you never downgrade the system these days. Just the EmuNAND. You can try to make a hybrid EmuNAND or something. It's a long shot but won't hurt your console. Also people have been working on pc side encryption and decryption for the nand. Supposedly you can transfer a nand from one console to another using this method..

Thanks. Of course I would never downgrade my SysNAND without making sure it doesn't brick.

Don't downgrade the SysNAND at all. No need. You can try downgrading a EmuNAND with no real risk..

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I doubt it works, you never downgrade the system these days. Just the EmuNAND. You can try to make a hybrid EmuNAND or something. It's a long shot but won't hurt your console. Also people have been working on pc side encryption and decryption for the nand. Supposedly you can transfer a nand from one console to another using this method..

Don't downgrade the SysNAND at all. No need. You can try downgrading a EmuNAND with no real risk..

Just the 3 files I posted before in this thread. There is an article on the official GW forum to make GW work on N2DS.

AlcuZan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I searched the official forum and can't find the guide you are mentioning for the life of me. Would you mind linking the thread? I know how to make GW work on a new 3DS, but that method can't work on a new 2DS XL.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's mostly your situation. Although GW CAN run on a 11.6 EmuNAND if you just downgrade the 3 incompatible titles on a 3DS but they don't exist for N2ds. I would link what I saw but I doubt the Tempers who walk behind the rows will let me post anything from that site. I won't even speak it's name. I get too many trolls flared up just saying Gateway and the thread will blow up.. This in general is not a Gateway friendly place. Politics and egos come in to play in EVERY Gateway related thread. On TOGWF, someone was talking about the Hybrid EmuNAND option might be a possibility on N2DS. Not a tutorial. I have linked an article on the Hybrid EmuNAND earlier in the thread. The problem is the Home_Menu, GSP_Services, NATIVE_FIRM, and the NWM_Services. You can try downgrading just them on the EmuNAND with SysUpdater. Everything else works fine on 11.6. in GW mode. I just read a blurb somewhere someone was trying to get the N2DS to run. I'll look when I get home and see if I can find more info. I have all 3DSes (3DSis? proper plural of 3DS) If you have the system you could tinker I suppose. If you can't get it going than I guess you're S.O.L. I am not sure any real effort will be made. I don't think anyone really cares at this point. The N2DS just came out and Gateway has been mostly dead a long time... mostly. If you just purchased the Gateway, I am so sorry. You got screwed if you paid more than $4 for the set because that's what the blue cart is worth. Maybe $7. If you have owned it for a while then you probably have a console that works. Use that one for the red GW. Keep the blue GW in the 2NDS with Luma and NTR CFW for cheats and such... That's my best advice.

AlcuZan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you mate. I have owned the GW for maybe 2 or 3 years now and just grew accustomed to it. I just don't want to give up on it so easily, but I don't want to switch consoles every time I use my GW either. Maybe I'll just ask in the forum of whom the name shall not be spoken, since I'm not really sure how I can only downgrade the files you mentioned.

heroarc8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which tutorial? Can you link it? I want to see what it entails. Most of those tutorials are quick and dirty methods that leave out important steps. BEWARE! The friends List CAN take a while to populate. If that's the case then you already know because it's working.

I HIGHLY recommend you do this the correct way. A shoddy install can jeopardize your 3ds. I recommend your next move to go B9S. Use the guide. I would back up your emunand first using Godmode9. Make a backup of your SD. Simply by installing B9S and going through the guide you will
  • BOOT CORRECTLY: Boot 100% of the time! Boot time is identical to a stock system! Loading times too! You can even skip the system menu all together and install GodMode9 to your NAND with some tinkering!. (not for noobs)
  • FINALLY BE SAFE!: Luma uses up to date safety checks. You can update, go online, do anything you want and you won't loose you exploit, lose homebrew or in general be stuck fixing your 3ds.
  • RUN UP TO DATE SYSTEM SOFTWARE!: If you stay up to date your (Fre)E-Shop Will WORK! Your Friends list, NNID functions, Multiplayer and ALL OTHER FUNCTIONS will work (Excpet Miiverse Obviously.)
  • RUN GAMES WITH NO PATCHES!: You can download directly from FREE-shop. Everything works. No Spoofing. No patching, no header issues. etc.
  • PATCHING CODE ON THE FLY!: IPS patching support is fun! Swap game elements on the fly! Like SALTY SD. Lots of mods.
  • ROSALINA!: Rosalina is a menu built in to Luma using a hot key combo. Lots of cool functions. You can inject FBI to a sys app. Way cleaner.
  • RUN HOMEBREW!: In the Rosalina iteration of homebrew launcher you will enjoy much better compatibility! and be able to jump in and out using the Home key like a real app!
  • BETTER BATTERY LIFE!: Even having the GW in the slot drains the battery to be fair. Even if its not engaged. But you'll see a large increase in play time over running anything off the GW cart.
  • USE THE NEWEST HACKS!: There is all sorts of new things you can do. That AIO pack I keep mentioning has kept me entertained on its own for weeks. Lots of CFW's and everything.
  • CHEAT!: You can boot in to NTR CFW and you can run and search cheats just like GW. The codes are different but can be converted from GW and the NTR cheats database is WAY more up to date than GW these days.
  • PROTECT YOUR SYSTEM FROM THEFT OR UNWANTED EYES!: Luma has an optional PIN to lock the 3ds. You can put a custom message on it too! (Like REWARD IF FOUND (xxx)xxx-xxxx. with SD in and STOLEN!! DO NOT PAWN! without the SD!)
  • RUN MULTIPLE EMUNANDS!: Luma supports multiple EMUnands including your GW one if you don't frankenfirm it! You can have EMUnand for different regions! Go online in different markets! You can have one for the KIDS!
  • ACCESS THE BONUS DRIVE!: There is a small amount of space Ninty uses in the update process you'll be able to access and store files there. Super secret stealth drive for giggles!
  • NO NEED TO HARD MOD!: You can easily recover you NAND!! You can mess around with pretty much anything and you'll be safe. Mistakes made in GW mode can cause your system to brick or become unhackable without an NTRboot compatible device (GW Blue support for BootNTR might be coming soon though! Some devs from here are CURRENTLY working on it. Progress seems to have been made in the last week or 2.)

Plus you can STILL RUN YOUR GW!. I am really trying to sell you on moving to Luma for the most part but keeping GW in play too. It's by far the most sane way to do this. You could be in for a heap of trouble if you stay on GW as your primary.

The process below is easier than you think. under an hour to complete for me.

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD:

1. FOLLOW THE GUIDE: THE MOST IMPORTANT AND WISEST THING TO DO TO YOUR SYSTEM. People are usually happy they did! I would definitely back up the EMUnand as soon as you have godmode9 (Do it now if you can run godmode9) Then finish the guide completing everything including the optional the move EMUnand section.
  2. REINSTALL EMUNAND. After the guide your EMUnand contents will be moved to the SYSnand and updated to 11.6. So, backup your 3DS SD, Use GodMode9 (hold START on boot) to "format with emunand" to make a new emunand partition (press HOME MENU BUTTON for emunand options in Godmode9). This will make a new EMUnand partition and format your SD. Copy the backup of your 3DS SD card you just made back to the SD. Boot in the GodMode9 and restore the backup you made before the guide.
  3. INSTALL GW! There are a lot of tutorials. I prefer using the "Gateway Payload converted to B9S" on the "official GW forum" (still not sure if ill get chastised for posting links to that place.) Inscripted's AIO pack from "that ISO site" will work to get you going in GW and all the other CFW's too and its install is SIMPLE if you like. PM me and ill get you going in 3 minutes once the guide is is done and your emunand is back.
  4. UNLINK NAND IF LINKED: Boot in to EMUnand using LUMA. (Hold SELECT on boot and enable Autoboot EmuNAND and Show NAND or user string in System Settings:) Make sure you are in EMUnand by going in to sys settings and making sure it says EMU. Install TINY FORMAT .CIA version on the EMUnand using FBI then run tiny format. MUST BE IN EMUNAND
The guide will get Luma going and copy your EMUnand to your SYSnand. Unlinking them is important for many reasons but you'll notice it wipes the EmuNAND clean. Emu will be empty with no NNID but will be fully functional OFFLINE for Gw. I would run most games in Luma anyway. You won't have issues online (unless you get banned cheater! Easy to unban anyway) No spoofing etc. Restoring your EMUnand back the way I said will already be GW compatible because it will still be 11.2. It will be empty but don't worry ALL THE DATA WILL BE IN THE SYSNAND(Luma). Then only use GW mode for games running off the RED CARD (mostly just to have an extra SD slot and use the GW. Non online games). Smart Clean Quick and Effective!

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO IN TO GW MODE ONLINE. (I don't recommend it. GW has no protection and you have to jump through hoops. Don't need to in Luma, Luma works) You can get online in GW mode using the tutorial I linked or possibly your method will be persistent and will already work. I don't know what tutorial you followed. Please link to it!

Last edited by heroarc8,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ok heroarc8, sorry for my absence but it's the holidays. I had a quick glance at the files linked to that video. So that looks like the result ia a Hybrid EmuNAND setup like the one I was telling you about IF you installed it to your EmuNAND. It's 11.6U with except the 3 titles that make GW crash. They are at 11.2. I am not sure what other tweaks were made. I have posted a thread on here several times that winds up making a hybrid EmuNAND (Legally using NUSD). So my real concerns for you and this method are that I don't know the integrity of the files and the instructions. I don't think they indicate that this setup is for EmuNAND only and strictly for GW Mode. You did install it to your EmuNAND correct? Installing this to your SysNAND wouldn't be advisable. Assuming you are willing to trust those Youtube files, I would would:

1. FOLLOW and Complete the guide to INSTALL B9S/Luma <------- Number 1 for a reason. Run roms off your GW red card in GW mode. EVERYTHING ELSE in LUMA. Your Friend's List and everything else will work. And work well.
  2. Update(Downgrade) Your EmuNAND with the files in the video if you haven't. I hope you did. Or follow this to obtain new copies:https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/
  3. Use the "gw payload converted for b9s" on the "Official GW forum" along with the B9S compatible BootCTR9 https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/ To boot GW. It's a cleaner setup than the one commonly linked to here. You could also use the AIO on "that ISO site" to multi-boot into a variety of CFW including GW.
B9S takes like 20 minutes these days. Just do it. You'll be happy. Not 100% sure if you want to transfer the GW EmuNAND setup to your SysNAND. I did. But that is what we did back then. GW did some screwy shit in the past and I am not sure if you want that GW Nand flashed over.... The guide is very thorough. Read everything. It talks about GW made EmuNANDs in there somewhere. All the information is there to make a choice.

AlcuZan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So guys, I finally found a way to make the GW card work on a N2DSXL!
First thing to notice is that you need a 3ds that already has an EmuNAND with GW compability. Without it, you can't setup GW on a N2DSXL. Personally, I used my old New 3DS XL (EmuNAND on 11.6).
For anyone interested, here is what I did. In the following I will call my old device (the N3DSXL) source console, and the new device target console (N2DSXL).
1. Create an EmuNAND on the target console (I used Emunand9 for this)
2. Open Decrypt9 on the source console, go to EmuNAND Options -> CTRNAND transfer -> Dump transferable CTRNAND
3. Put the dumped CTRNAND file onto the target console's SD Card (files9 folder)
4. Open Decrypt9 on the target console, go to EmuNAND Options -> CTRNAND transfer -> Auto CTRNAND transfer
5. Done! Now you have a 11.6 SysNAND with Luma and a working GW 11.6 EmuNAND!

Reactions: Quantumcat

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So guys, I finally found a way to make the GW card work on a N2DSXL!
First thing to notice is that you need a 3ds that already has an EmuNAND with GW compability. Without it, you can't setup GW on a N2DSXL. Personally, I used my old New 3DS XL (EmuNAND on 11.6).
For anyone interested, here is what I did. In the following I will call my old device (the N3DSXL) source console, and the new device target console (N2DSXL).
1. Create an EmuNAND on the target console (I used Emunand9 for this)
2. Open Decrypt9 on the source console, go to EmuNAND Options -> CTRNAND transfer -> Dump transferable CTRNAND
3. Put the dumped CTRNAND file onto the target console's SD Card (files9 folder)
4. Open Decrypt9 on the target console, go to EmuNAND Options -> CTRNAND transfer -> Auto CTRNAND transfer
5. Done! Now you have a 11.6 SysNAND with Luma and a working GW 11.6 EmuNAND!

Cool, I have no N2DS to test this with but very interesting. I assume this worked because they are both of the "New" family. I haven't used Decrypt9 in a long time. How well have you tested this? I am wondering if any problems will arise...

Decrypt9 is WAY more robust than the last time I used it. Very nice. I assume that a transfer pack could be made with everything ready to go. Not for this site. ;) I'll make note of this N2DS method and pass it along.

Reactions: AlcuZan

AlcuZan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It may also work with an old 3DS as source console, not sure about that. But I think I will give it a try some time, I still have my old3DS lying arond somewhere...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c