Not open for further replies.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the team says in the FAQ that it does not do ds mode, so until someone makes a dual mode card, maybe one with a switch or little button you hold down when you want to boot in ds mode ,then i dont think we will see a ds mode manager

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
the 3ds can only boot carts from its own region. all of the carts are exactly the same, but the rom flashed to them in the factory has a region flag. when you drop that cart into your 3ds it checks to see if the regions match. the only difference here is that you will be flashing the cart at home via the msd. the region flag part of the rom will still take affect. does that make more sense?

-another world
Not at all. The original question was if the Gateway 3DS itself is region dependent. I highly assume it exploits an existing 3DS game to boot, if that's the case we'll have three different Gateway 3DS cartridges, one for each region. If it's not the case it's only important to run a ROM from the region your 3DS is from. Does that make sense? I also know that this discussion is moot as long as we don't know how the Gateway boots ROMs.

Umm, no, that is a terrible analogy.
Actually it is a very fitting analogy.
When the only difference between a 3DS cartridge and a DS cartridge being read is the hardware switch and a 3DS cartridge can be addressed as a DS cartridge it is at least not a very good analogy.

Another comparison would be GB/C and GBA, where a switch decided between the two modes - voltages were incompatible, so one cart couldn't be read from each others mode. Even more interesting is Megadrive/Genesis and Master System. Only an IO port being high or low decided between both modes, most Megadrive/Genesis copiers ran in Z80/Master System mode, only when a Megadrive game was being loaded the console switched to Megadrive.

If DS/3DS mode works somewhat like that and we can switch between modes via software switching ROM Images on Micro SD card would be possible from DS mode. Again, as long as we don't know anything about the Gateway 3DS this discussion is moot.

Reactions: yuyuyup and futaris

ipwndeveloper

Trophies
Website
gb4iphone.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
1 game per SD card? that is abit crazy. I would have had built the cart with a game chooser in DS-mode, that flashes the software to the RAM inside the cart with some kind of capacitor or backup battery(similar to some gba flashcards) soft reset(eject and re-insert cart) or reboot console and load via the main menu. this would relieve the need for multiple SD Cards. the only issues with this is that the size of the backup dumps from the original cart.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually it is a very fitting analogy.

No, because what I said is possible. And in fact, reasonably similar to how the WODE worked at first I believe (it had a GC "game" that allowed you to select the ISO you wanted to load, because it was possible to load GC homebrew with just a modchip but not Wii homebrew), so not particularly far-fetched either.

Reactions: Rydian

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, but you can move files on an SD card or whatever, so that a different ROM is the one "seen" by the 3DS mode Gateway. It could be that between every boot, the Gateway "resets" (assuming it has some on board CPU to do this job, which it probably doesn't) and works as a DS-mode flash card, lets you select a game and "sets" that game, then reboots the 3DS and the Gateway acts as that game until the next power cycle when it becomes a DS-mode flash card again.

Now I don't think this would be possible without an on-board CPU to "reset" it back to DS-mode, and there's no sign that it has one, so I doubt this will be the case. But there's no proof it couldn't happen.
The cart has to contain some sort of microprocessor that pulls the right data from the MicroSD card when the 3DS tries to read it, right? The 3DS can't access the MicroSD card directly, as it doesn't know how to.
That microprocessor could just pull different data depending on which game was selected.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know what else to say. i don't think explaining it a 3rd time is really going to help.

-another world

Not at all. The original question was if the Gateway 3DS itself is region dependent. I highly assume it exploits an existing 3DS game to boot, if that's the case we'll have three different Gateway 3DS cartridges, one for each region. If it's not the case it's only important to run a ROM from the region your 3DS is from. Does that make sense? I also know that this discussion is moot as long as we don't know how the Gateway boots ROMs.

I think the disconnect here is that enarky is saying that the Gateway 3DS may be booting into a separate game-mode (thus, must have software loaded and running on the 3DS) before loading the proper data from the SD card (presumably by rebooting into a game mode again, since it's been stated that the regions of the loaded image must match the 3DS region). As a result, the cart itself may need to pass off as a legitimate game before it can actually run anything off the SD card that's loaded with the actual software that's desired to be loaded, possibly meaning that the cart will need to pass a region check itself in addition to the region check that would be required after rebooting with the intended data loaded onto the system.

On the other hand, I think that Another World is stating that the Gateway 3DS is mostly acting as just a hardware interface, and thus how software will run is entirely dependent on the actual software that's being loaded, with no intermediate "handshaking" or validation occurring*. If that's the case then whether a game would run would be entirely dependent only on the image that's been flashed onto the card, with the cart having no involvement.

Either way, I agree that it's hard to say without actually knowing what the Gateway 3DS is doing.

*Not strictly speaking. There may indeed be intermediary checks being made, but I would assume that under this model we're assuming that any such checks are resolved either in hardware or before booting into a different runtime environment, thus by the time a region check occurs, it only involves the data loaded onto the SD.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what do you think ?
shall we wait for some more competitors with other 3ds flashcards or buy the gateway?
If you're really in such a rush to get a Gateway, get it. For all we know, the competitors aren't close to a release. And, for all we know, the Gateway may be permanently blocked. It's anyone's guess.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Pong, at least one group has a card and/or is working on one. And, unless they found a way to run unsigned code on the 3DS, there'll be no CFW. So we just need to wait until he (or anyone else) releases info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P