Not open for further replies.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I received an interesting Email by Gateway3DS.
They told me the Card will get a UI after the release.
Maybe then we can play more Games with ONE SD Card.

Email :
"i forward your answer for tech team. There will be a UI, but not at launch. If
our tech team is interested in support we will get back to you."
Obviously that's Crown3DS-like BS. For a UI they need a way to run unsigned code.

Reactions: yuyuyup

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Obviously that's Crown3DS-like BS. For a UI they need a way to run unsigned code.
According to some, in order for them to be able to make this flashcart (and for other teams to be able to release save hacking tools) they have to have hacked the system already. These products all happened at around the same time, which tells me there has been some information sharing going on behind the scenes and it's highly possible several teams now possess the means to hack the 3DS.

And of course if that was the case they wouldn't be able to make a 3DS-mode GUI right away, because no one has figured out how to display graphics on the 3DS yet.

They could run UI in DS mode.
Yeah, I thought of that a while back, "why didn't they just do that?"
But then how would you switch between the UI and the game you want to run? If it just allowed you to run the game once before it reverted to the DS-mode UI it could be annoying with all the rebooting of the 3DS to run the game.
A proper 3DS-mode GUI would definitely be a lot better if they can accomplish it.

Reactions: goldensox

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And your point is? You can't run 3DS games from DS mode.

No, but you can move files on an SD card or whatever, so that a different ROM is the one "seen" by the 3DS mode Gateway. It could be that between every boot, the Gateway "resets" (assuming it has some on board CPU to do this job, which it probably doesn't) and works as a DS-mode flash card, lets you select a game and "sets" that game, then reboots the 3DS and the Gateway acts as that game until the next power cycle when it becomes a DS-mode flash card again.

Now I don't think this would be possible without an on-board CPU to "reset" it back to DS-mode, and there's no sign that it has one, so I doubt this will be the case. But there's no proof it couldn't happen.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the cartridge runs a rom from root and other files/folders don't interfere, anyone who carries around a SuperCard DSTwo & a 32GB MicroSDHC could always copy/replace roms from a separate folder on the card.

goldensox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to some, in order for them to be able to make this flashcart (and for other teams to be able to release save hacking tools) they have to have hacked the system already. These products all happened at around the same time, which tells me there has been some information sharing going on behind the scenes and it's highly possible several teams now possess the means to hack the 3DS.

Please elaborate further, you got me hooked on this paragraph.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's locked to the region of the cartridge itself it would mean that you'd need a EUR, JPN and US Gateway for each respective 3DS, if it's just locked to the ROM it'd mean that the Gateway 3DS itself is region free.

the 3ds can only boot carts from its own region. all of the carts are exactly the same, but the rom flashed to them in the factory has a region flag. when you drop that cart into your 3ds it checks to see if the regions match. the only difference here is that you will be flashing the cart at home via the msd. the region flag part of the rom will still take affect. does that make more sense?

-another world

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but you can move files on an SD card or whatever, so that a different ROM is the one "seen" by the 3DS mode Gateway. It could be that between every boot, the Gateway "resets" (assuming it has some on board CPU to do this job, which it probably doesn't) and works as a DS-mode flash card, lets you select a game and "sets" that game, then reboots the 3DS and the Gateway acts as that game until the next power cycle when it becomes a DS-mode flash card again.

Now I don't think this would be possible without an on-board CPU to "reset" it back to DS-mode, and there's no sign that it has one, so I doubt this will be the case. But there's no proof it couldn't happen.
Won't it be easier to make switch/button on top of the card which sends signal to fpga to mount next ROM? :unsure:

landmasta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
the 3ds can only boot carts from its own region. all of the carts are exactly the same, but the rom flashed to them in the factory has a region flag. when you drop that cart into your 3ds it checks to see if the regions match. the only difference here is that you will be flashing the cart at home via the msd. the region flag part of the rom will still take affect. does that make more sense?

So in order to make a different region boot with this you could change the region of the rom? Now we just need to figure out how to do that.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Won't it be easier to make switch/button on top of the card which sends signal to fpga to mount next ROM? :unsure:

Not if you have a dozen ROMs and don't want to sit pushing a button and rebooting your console until it finally gets the right one (i'm assuming it wouldn't be possible to switch from one ROM to the next while the console is powered on, you'd probably need to either remove and re-insert the card or reboot).

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in order to make a different region boot with this you could change the region of the rom? Now we just need to figure out how to do that.

It's already known, but not possible atm.

The region flag is in the banner, which is inside the ExeFS in the ROM, which is encrypted and hashed, and the hash is in a part which is signed.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Well that makes as much sense as running PS3 games on a GBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Not just "some" - I think it's 24 now that have legalized it for adults, so nearly half!