Hacking Gateway 3DS Firmware v2.0 - New UI and More!

elunesgrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-MOVED to this page-

A user made a fantastic post about how Gateway itself works (I do not wish to relink it).

Essentially they have to recreate ROP chain and use another obfuscation key. I'm not even quite sure how they managed to do this the first time around but they did, redoing it for a whole new code (ie post 4.5.0) would be quite a feat.

And on top of this the kernel exploit itself got patched after 4.5.0, so how would they even get in again? They would have to find a new exploit.

I'm not saying its impossible at all, but I'm saying it will be like doing everything from scratch.

There is nothing wrong with waiting, I understand some people can't afford, but it is my job as another member to communicate the information I have to everyone so that they can make a better decision =).

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm...so an early dump of pokemon-x/y is eminent >_<"

anyhow, this is looking great...but a little too soon for me to invest in.

* once i get tired of SMT4 and Pokemon-Y...i'll look into this more *

why would you not want to invest in this now??!! I would say get one now and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: digipokemaster

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily eminent. 2.0 might come out after Pokemon's release date..
(Assuming it involves an AP patch as well)

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys... pokemon x and y are no longer in development. That means that Nintendo cannot alter them. Anything that is released now will not affect our ability to play them when they are released.

breaktemp

D-Sun who was called D-Moon
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
emo kid 68

well...it is really more of a time thing than a money thing.

* sure, i did buy a new pokemon red 3DS-XL... *

i don't have a problem buying and using "gateway"...but i only see myself playing SMT4 and Pokemon-Y for now.

when i have more time and more interesting titles come out...i can see myself investing in this product.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emo kid 68

well...it is really more of a time thing than a money thing.

* sure, i did buy a new pokemon red 3DS-XL... *

i don't have a problem buying and using "gateway"...but i only see myself playing SMT4 and Pokemon-Y for now.

when i have more time and more interesting titles come out...i can see myself investing in this product.

Oh okay that makes more sense.

Reactions: breaktemp

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own 4 3DS consoles. One is version 4.5, and three (two factory sealed, non opened box) are 3.5

This update is not useless by any means and the next news will be useful as well.

As much as I don't care about pirating games any longer, this will be something neat to play around with.

Reactions: hashcheck1

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own 4 3DS consoles. One is version 4.5, and three (two factory sealed, non opened box) are 3.5

This update is not useless by any means and the next news will be useful as well.

As much as I don't care about pirating games any longer, this will be something neat to play around with.
:O collector?

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:O collector?

somewhat. I keep some factory sealed 3ds as well. If they get beyond 4.5 then I can pirate games that I'm buying and keep the ones I buy factory sealed. An idea anyway. But at least this will run Kid Icarus so I can keep that one sealed still now for the time being. That game only set me back 15 bucks I don't even know if it is a good game, as it has just been sitting in my drawer for months.

I should start collecting up a few more titles soon too. I had a small list of games to buy. I already own most of the ones I want to play. Come to think of it the only other one I was going to get was star fox. No idea why I could never find a bargain on it since it has no multi player. That game should be under 20 bucks.

Reactions: hashcheck1

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am guessing the NAND backup is primarily for a hardware restore but could still be useful as eventually a easier to use NAND flash kit may become available allowing easy upgrade/downgrade of the system (like progskeet or e3 flasher for PS3). Having a NAND backup could save your bacon even if you have to take it to someone more capable (like me) to restore it for you.

The cartridge backup is nice, but I hope they allow you to dump your save and rom so that you can move them both over to the gateway....this will help me a lot as I have a number of carts I would trade/sell once I can get my save game progress off them.

This looks like 3DS mode as if it was DS mode wouldn't the top screen by 4:3 cropped? Hard to say but no matter what they have done some interesting things......

I think the next big announcement will be multi-rom......it makes sense if they have a 3DS menu and more access to the cartridge slot....I think it will work as a reloader and speculated this would be the easy way to do it in prior posts....you hit the ds/profile, it takes yo to this gui, you choose your rom, it resets the adress pointer (mounting the rom) and boots you back to the 3DS dashboard with said rom mounted.

Also we are still not sure Nintendo can really 'detect' that a ROM is running from gateway so AP may not actually be effective....maybe gateaway has made a newer firmware decrypter/loader like prometheus loader on psp which essentially provided the newer firmware libraries without having to update the system firmware....this worked super well on PSP for a long time allowing people to stay on 3.x firmware up thru 5.x games.

Meanwhile......several new games have just come out in the last week and can't wait for them to get dumped to see if they work......Rune Factory 4, Etrian Oddessy 1 remake, and Scribblenauts DC are all released. I am looking forward to Sonic and Batman later this month just as much or more than Pokemon and also Bravely Default got its EU release date today with the Nintendo direct and will be out in DEC.....hopefully we will be playing it in the US on gateway and not have to be waiting until Spring when it gets is USA release.....woohoo happy days!!!

Reactions: emo kid 68

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm...so an early dump of pokemon-x/y is eminent >_<"

anyhow, this is looking great...but a little too soon for me to invest in.

* once i get tired of SMT4 and Pokemon-Y...i'll look into this more *
Imminent not eminent. Eminent suggests a higher authority; imminent suggests an immediacy.

Reactions: breaktemp

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Every page of this thread has one or two posts of the_randomizer stating the exact same thing. It's getting a little tired.

He has Tourette's. That is his tic:

Accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated, accidentally updated.

He can't help it.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway I'd suggest getting a gateway before Nintendo shuts down the whole show. Why? Ever see what Cartier, Gucci, Lacoste, etc do in China? sure you can still get this stuff because there's multiple places making it but Gateway is the only flash cart available and nobody has cloned it. If there was a clone market it would be more difficult to shut down. All Nintendo would have to do is the same as the European brands. They send a team of lawyers over to Shenzhen and set up an office and work from there until their business there is done.

I have seen some high quality replica products ship out of China whose companies virtually don't exist any more. Lacoste, for example, silently snuffed out a really high end apparel business over there which you used to be able to buy nearly 1:1 quality replicas of their shirts from. But now at least I know where to buy the genuine from, still costs 2x as much as the copy but hey.. not that bad of a price. Once a company gets in Guangdong (Neo Industrialized China, aka "experimental Capitalism zone") deep enough and likewise has deep pockets, they can get anything done at their command. I'm just amazed Nintendo didn't do this with a lot of things. I think they aren't too big on paying lawyers and such to combat piracy, rather they hire personnel to try to and don't do much else. It is probably just another one of those long time Japanese business strategies that is hard to break loose from.

Reactions: emo kid 68

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGDuzLvkQ +1