Hacking Gateway 3ds: A9LH, Downgrade, Release Planned on May 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcoolguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tfw people are blaming gateway and not the testers they had before for not telling them about all of the shit wrong with it

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
tfw people are blaming gateway and not the testers they had before for not telling them about all of the shit wrong with it
There are opensource shit everywhere, and documentation for idiots, they still had no excuses :)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Tfw when people try to excuse gateway for their mess up.

Reactions: VinsCool

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Somehow I doubt this first wave of testing ever occurred, given that no one ever said they received files.

That, and GW should be able to test basic stuff themselves.

Jesus christ you people are delusional.

Reactions: VinsCool

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is that really going to your only defense? People spent 80$ on this cart to get basically shit on. You are really going to defend a team that not only stole code, but didn't even bother to properly use it. Within several months, they didn't even bother to add basic features like FIRM0/1 protection to their code.
They've spent months working a release that Free CFW devs were able to do in far less time. There's no excusing this product anymore, you can buy a 120GB MicroSD card from Wal*Mart for little over 60$ and get better results with free CFWs.

Last edited by The Catboy,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They spent 5 months working on a project that CFW devs were able to figure out in a few hours. There's no excusing this.
I must agree, though, it does seem like an amateur mistake. However, I don't think they'd make a public release this bad: Perhaps their code is a mess and there's a lot to keep track of, considering they're a single team trying to replicate the work of many different people. That's also why they have people test it before they release it in the first place, to find embarassing bugs like this before... someone leaks the build. (Think of how many tools combined are involved in the A9LH process: OTPHelper, Decrypt9, PlaiSysUpdater, SafeA9LHInstaller, Luma3DS, TinyFormat, 2xrsa entrypoint, probably more I can't recall at the moment)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I must agree, though, it does seem like an amateur mistake. However, I don't think they'd make a public release this bad: Perhaps their code is a mess and there's a lot to keep track of, considering they're a single team trying to replicate the work of many different people. That's also why they have people test it before they release it in the first place, to find embarassing bugs like this before... someone leaks the build. (Think of how many tools combined are involved in the A9LH process: OTPHelper, Decrypt9, PlaiSysUpdater, SafeA9LHInstaller, Luma3DS, TinyFormat, 2xrsa entrypoint, probably more I can't recall at the moment)
You know what could honestly fix this? If they release their source code so some real CFW devs can fix it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's all a conspiracy! Gateway has a proper release but are just trolling us! I'm telling you we will see a flawless release capable of installing in ~10 minutes.

Gais, I just want it to stop. QQ

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tfw when people try to excuse gateway for their mess up.
I'm not saying what they posted isn't an amateur mistake, I'm just saying "there's a reason why it happened" and "we shouldn't judge it by it's unfinished/unreleased state," because that isn't very logical.

You know what could honestly fix this? If they release their source code so some real CFW devs can fix it.
Of course! As much as I agree with you here, I don't think that's part of their agenda, because they are a business afterall.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
To be fair, if they ever go opensource, I would expect more sales IMO

Reactions: astronautlevel

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guys... seriously stop playing with these files, they weren't meant for you and they will only cause you harm. They are for people with hardware mods to test certain functions and then roll back and test again, NOT for public use. The point of this test pack wasn't to see if there was update protection, it was to test the install... it is NOT a finished product, so stop treating it as such.

That Feeling when the only things you are known to contribute on Gbatemp are Furrys and Poor Counter argument skills

Pony_Feels_Bad_Man.png

Last edited by izy,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
"we shouldn't judge it by it's unfinished/unreleased state," because that isn't very logical.
Gateway:

1. Expected everything to go right with the beta testing
  2. Expected a release 48 hours after the beta testing
To them, this was extremely close to a finished release. Even in the finished release I doubt they'll fix FIRM protection (probably will tell people to keep using emunand) and I doubt they'll release an arm9loaderhax.bin.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, if they ever go opensource, I would expect more sales IMO
Yes, but there could also be more imitators knowing how the brick code works, so there'd also be more competition. I'm not saying I defend them for keeping it closed-source, but I think we need to get another perspective in this situation.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could we end the shitposts now? We all understand that this shit is underdeveloped and an absolute mess, but what is endlessly complaining gonna do about it? If anything we'll just hinder the morale of the Gateway Team, and cause them to perform more poorly than they already are. I'm just as frustrated with what we've seen as the rest of you, but now's the time to be suggesting to the team how they could make it better, not telling them that they're shit and their code's shit and that they should just end their company. Helping something improve in its early stages is what beta tests are for.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway:

1. Expected everything to go right with the beta testing
  2. Expected a release 48 hours after the beta testing
To them, this was extremely close to a finished release. Even in the finished release I doubt they'll fix FIRM protection (probably will tell people to keep using emunand) and I doubt they'll release an arm9loaderhax.bin.
I think they'd fix FIRM protection in the finished release, but I don't expect them to revise their a9lh payload until they decide it's important enough to them to switch. I'm guessing they'll do that after the public complains, which either happened today or will happen in a larger number after the public build goes out. I think their initial decision will turn off a lot of people though, but that's their own fault.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People spent 80$ on this cart to get basically shit on.

Because people bought the card soley for this awful release? This horrible release invalidates everything they released beforehand? The 18months or so when GW were the only decent solution was not worth the $80? It all comes down to only whatever their latest thing is.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Could we end the shitposts now? We all understand that this shit is underdeveloped and an absolute mess, but what is endlessly complaining gonna do about it? If anything we'll just hinder the morale of the Gateway Team, and cause them to perform more poorly than they already are. I'm just as frustrated with what we've seen as the rest of you, but now's the time to be suggesting to the team how they could make it better, not telling them that they're shit and their code's shit and that they should just end their company. Helping something improve in its early stages is what beta tests are for.
They could make it better by stealing copying and pasting code better. I bet they forgot the function in OTPHelper to unbrick emunand, and then when they got an error compiling just commented it out until it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-