Gaming on a Chromebook with integrated graphics

dudeguy2022

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Lenovo flex 5i Chromebook with 8gb of ram, 64 GB of storage, and an Intel 11th Gen core i3 (2 cores 4 threads). The only thing holding me back is ChromeOS consuming 6 GB of ram when IDLE, so I'm thinking about both upgrading the SSD and dual-booting a Linux distro.
It's surprising how devices with operating systems developed by Google seem incredibly simple on the surface, but if you look around for a second the possibilities open up (not that it even matters cause I'm installing Linux but I think it's cool that you can run Linux, windows, android, and steam at the same time in ChromeOS, while all being tightly knit together through one desktop)
Just food for thought ig

Last edited by dudeguy2022,

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
these days Chromebooks are so cheap that the storage is probably soldered, have you checked if it's more than just eMMC?

a brief google search shows there's 2 motherboard versions, one with an m.2 slot and one without

Reactions: BigOnYa

dudeguy2022

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linux? Why not try and run Windows 10 on it for better game compatibility? (Unless running games under Wine/Proton leads to better performance)
Yeah I prefer Linux because it uses MUCH less resources than Windows and even when using a compatibility tool like proton you could actually get better performance in certain cases because it's only using certain components of Windows that are required. You are right about the compatibility though, but it's only a few games that wouldn't work, and even if I was running windows I probably wouldn't have the specs to run them anyway.
Post automatically merged:

these days Chromebooks are so cheap that the storage is probably soldered, have you checked if it's more than just eMMC?

a brief google search shows there's 2 motherboard versions, one with an m.2 slot and one without
I'm planning on taking it apart to check soon, but even if it is soldered I have a spare 256 GB microsd

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I prefer Linux because it uses MUCH less resources than Windows and even when using a compatibility tool like proton you could actually get better performance in certain cases because it's only using certain components of Windows that are required
Really? Damn..

• Haha
Reactions: dudeguy2022

pojes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Lenovo flex 5i Chromebook with 8gb of ram, 64 GB of storage, and an Intel 11th Gen core i3 (2 cores 4 threads). The only thing holding me back is ChromeOS consuming 6 GB of ram when IDLE, so I'm thinking about both upgrading the SSD and dual-booting a Linux distro.
It's surprising how devices with operating systems developed by Google seem incredibly simple on the surface, but if you look around for a second the possibilities open up (not that it even matters cause I'm installing Linux but I think it's cool that you can run Linux, windows, android, and steam at the same time in ChromeOS, while all being tightly knit together through one desktop)
Just food for thought ig .
I have a chromebook for school and i was wondering if i can run any fun games on it. Linux and Steam are already installed.
If you need more specs the model is HP Chromebook 11 G4 EE

The specs are: (Cringe warning incoming)
https://mayflowerva.com/
Processor: Intel® Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz × 2
Graphics: Intel® Bay Trail
I think there is about 2 GB of free space. (Alot is taken up by schoolwork.)
I have a chromebook for school and i was wondering if i can run any fun games on it. Linux and Steam are already installed.

dudeguy2022

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is it full Linux or crostini inside ChromeOS? I remember steam running terribly through crostini in my Chromebook with twice the power of yours but whatever it is you can probably run most 2d games quite well as well as any game made before 2000 like quake, or even pc ports of games like ship of harkinian (if you dump your own rom, of course)

dudeguy2022

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anybody wondering, the Chromebook that I was taking apart had an emmc card that was soldered to a 2242 pcie x4 adapter. I just ordered a 256 gb nvme ssd to replace it:) (I'll post a picture of the "ssd" if I remember to)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto