So I bought a new laptop two or three days ago.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gwahahaha, just read what happened to MTWdeluxe,

tumblr_l2zxitVOGO1qbpj1fo1_400.gif
I lol'd

Number one, I don't have the 1000+ USD to spend on a machine that is no better than any other one, and that would cost me up to 1000 more to upgrade it.

Number two, I have the common sense not to spend 1000+ on a laptop that is no better than any other one.

Macbooks and whatnot are no more a real machine than any PC based laptop, I have learned my lesson well on that, and I admit I was probably foolish to have bought my Macbook, but you know I still love it for what it was.

Also, the irony of his Windows Craptop comment, is that the first thing I did was wipe the Windows Install off of my new acer. I dont care about the Windows Experience rating, especially since I dislike Winblowz (Sorry if I insulted you by saying that, not intending to do so) so much. It really means nothing in the long run, just a supposed number/rank that has no meaningful purpose.

stuckinthemiddle.gif
Oh dear, I do terribly love it when people don't even read the first post of a topic. It provides me with such amusement at their ignorance, or even the fact that they are attempting to troll me, even in the simplest forms. I probably shouldn't say that because I myself have been guilty of not reading the first post before I post a reply, but at least I don't intentionally troll people. Then again who the hell cares about all that right now.

Nonetheless, I'm running Kernel 2.6.39rc4, and I've even got the FLGRX (ATI proprietary drivers), installed, albeit I had to manually do it since the stupid package in the official repository caused a whole butt ton of issues with Xorg 1.11 or something. Also I had to go out and retrieve said packages myself, since the Kernel PPA seems to be down or broken (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!)

I have Linux installed on my new machine, It's a Quad Core, it's fast as hell, runs like a dream, has a big keyboard with a numeric keypad, I had to do nothing to map the keyboard, it's got a huge screen, it boots Ubuntu in less than 10 seconds, etc, and everything seems to work out of the box...

8922105.jpg

Oh and Hakoda is entirely right on his last post. Couldn't have said it better myself. My Macbook can serve as a backup if my Acer fails and I have to send it in, it can boot Linux even without OSX (Yay EFI), even from a MBR Partitioned disk. I just don't like it as much as my New Acer, for a number of reasons.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
A Gay Little Catboy said:
KirbyBoy said:
Looks like MTWdeluex got banned
tpi.gif

I like the laptop specs, but I don't care for Acers, I've always had bad luck with them.
Nah, he got deleted. Different from a ban.
tpi.gif

(Though was does it say he's still viewing this topic?)

But yeah, I've had issues with Acers as well, speed issues.
Strange
unsure.gif

My issues wasn't just the speed issue, it's was more like customer service is just plain awful.

I agree, Acer's customer service is fucking disgraceful!!

I had problems with my laptop arriving through the post with dead pixels (AcerDirect that is), so i rang them to see if i could return it for one without faults, or get a refund...in the end i had to threaten legal action and send a solicitors letter to them to get a refund and i bought it from PC World instead...much easier. It took 2-3 months to prevail, they're crooks.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
boombox said:
KirbyBoy said:
Looks like MTWdeluex got banned
tpi.gif

I like the laptop specs, but I don't care for Acers, I've always had bad luck with them.
Nah, he got deleted. Different from a ban.
tpi.gif

(Though was does it say he's still viewing this topic?)

But yeah, I've had issues with Acers as well, speed issues.
Strange
unsure.gif

My issues wasn't just the speed issue, it's was more like customer service is just plain awful.

I agree, Acer's customer service is fucking disgraceful!!

I had problems with my laptop arriving through the post with dead pixels (AcerDirect that is), so i rang them to see if i could return it for one without faults, or get a refund...in the end i had to threaten legal action and send a solicitors letter to them to get a refund and i bought it from PC World instead...much easier. It took 2-3 months to prevail, they're crooks.

Truth of the matter is, I may never end up needing to go through Acer's customer service...I highly doubt a single one of them knows how to use Linux of an flavor anyway. I went in and got the extended care plan from work anyway just to play it safe, 1 Year through Acer, 2 years through my work.

Hardware wise, maybe...but that's not to be worried about right now. RAM I can replace on my own, same for the hard drive, and possibly the cable for the monitor should any of those ever go out on me, if I can ever get around to learning how to replace one of those, and find a broken machine to practice on.

I did have to run through a series of procedures to get the Propriatary ATI drivers installed and working in Ubuntu on Kernel 2.6.39+ though, seems to make everything alot more snappy and unlike the completely Open Source equivalent drivers, these one's actually have power management. My laptop doesnt even get halfway to peak room temperature in most cases. Fans are good sized to anyway so heats probably not an issue for now. One way or the other I have alot more control with my chosen OS than I usually do.

Heh, maybe I'll install BSD on this, see how it works and all that fun crap. At least after I finish testing Ubuntu 11.10 Oneric Ocelot.

I will admit one thing though, it's a bit big for my laptop desk, which is odd because you'd swear it would fit, nonetheless It slid over the guards on the desk and slit down as I was lifting the whole rig up one day running right into my Lower right leg. Hurt like a mother-smurfer, and I actually have a good sized bruise there now, first day it happened it gave me a bit of a limp.

So it's not as light as my old Macbook, but again, who cares about that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: