Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically why I prefer original apps like this one over Retro-Arch; at least this one was going somewhere.

Also, would it be worthwhile to reverse-engineer the coding for the Pokemon RBY VC link cable coding into this? I understand it's written specifically for the games in question, but having at least some insight into how we could get link cable features working for the 3DS is better than nothing.
For weaker devices like the 3DS, specialized applications are generally better, assuming the work is put into it. The problem is, that's a lot of work to get to that point. Especially considering whoever develops the homebrew software won't make money off of it. Maybe through donations and ads, but that's still not much, especially for the time and work.

As for the link cable, I really don't know. Reverse engineering isn't as simple as it sounds. I think online linking could be done, but I don't think anyone has figured the 3DS's local ad hoc yet. Though, if you're near a router, that wouldn't be a big deal. Though, the GBC's linking was really sensitive to latency. Online play might require some impressive trickery to get working. Either way, at this point, I'm starting to pull shit out my ass, so I should probably stop thinking about it. :grog:

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
thing is the red blue vc hasl imted tations and the color hax crashes on it so il just use this and tranfer the save when sun and moon comes out

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, that's not really the point of RA. For the most part, they don't make or improve emulation performance, with some exceptions. It's more of to just have a standardized platform for emulation across different systems. That's where most of their work goes. If you want Gambatte to be directly improved, you or someone else will have to work on the code itself.
Yeah, I understand that, obviously. The thing is, Gambatte is perfect. So the audio issues it has lies within Retroarch on 3DS. They don't happen anywhere else at least.

But it looks like nobody cares about the Gambatte core. They quicky ported it and never looked back.

It's a bummer that we don't have a perfect GBC emulator on 3DS.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

autofire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if any of you are paying attention, but Steve's been making major changes to GameYob on Github since a few days ago. Has anyone tried compiling his latest code?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a 100% sure that my roms are "good", infact before the downgrade they worked fine with gameyob.
Well, I assume you setup an EmuNAND, so they may have corrupted during the copying, though unlikely. What version of GameYob are you running? What CFW on which firmware version? Are you using a precompiled version or did you compile it yourself?

D

Deleted User

Time for a status update. A while back, I started feeling motivated to work on this again. Since then, I've done a lot of heavy restructuring and accuracy improvements. Among the changes I've made are DSP audio support (no crackles!), SGB border support, accelerometer support for MBC7 games, and various other things that have made more games work that failed to open or experienced major issues before.

However, in its current state, some games, or parts of games, such as Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble and the Link's Awakening DX intro, have been running with less desirable frame rates (~45-50fps) on the 3DS, although other games, like Pokemon Crystal, are still running at perfectly acceptable speeds. Optimization, while trying to keep the code structure fairly intact, has been proving difficult. I have no idea how long it may take to get the 3DS version running at an acceptable speed for all games, but if anyone wants to play around with the newest changes for now, they're available on GitHub. Note that sound will currently not work in the CIA/3DS builds without the "/3ds/dspfirm.cdc" file.

If anyone has any ideas, or could even write up some code changes, for optimizing emulation, those are welcome as well.

Last edited by ,

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time for a status update. A while back, I started feeling motivated to work on this again. Since then, I've done a lot of heavy restructuring and accuracy improvements. Among the changes I've made are DSP audio support (no crackles!), SGB border support, and various other things that have made more games work that failed to open or experienced major issues before.

However, in its current state, some games or parts of games, such as Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble and the Link's Awakening DX intro, have been running with less desirable frame rates (~45-50fps) on the 3DS. Keep in mind that some other games, like Pokemon Crystal, are still running at perfectly acceptable speeds. Optimization, while trying to keep the code structure fairly intact, has been proving difficult. I have no idea how long it may take to get the 3DS version running at an acceptable speed for all games, but if anyone wants to play around with the newest changes for now, they're available on GitHub. Note that sound will currently not work in the CIA/3DS builds without the "/3ds/dspfirm.cdc" file.

If anyone has any ideas, or could even write up some code changes, for optimizing emulation, those are welcome as well.
Cool thanks! But could you fix the issue where it disables the added new 3ds controls until you reboot?

D

Deleted User

Cool thanks! But could you fix the issue where it disables the added new 3ds controls until you reboot?
GameYob does no such thing. If this is happening, it is likely a result of some other factor, like ctrulib or *hax.

D

Deleted User

Everytime I start the CIA version and exit it, the extra buttons on my n3DS stop working until I reboot. It only happens in GameYob.
Well, GameYob does nothing in particular related to N3DS controls other than simply reading whether they're pressed from ctrulib with all other controls, so...

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, GameYob does nothing in particular related to N3DS controls other than simply reading whether they're pressed from ctrulib with all other controls, so...
I can record a video and upload it if you don't believe me. I'll start retroarch, some homebrew games, and GameYob. It'll stop working when I close GameYob.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!