Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
But do Gambatte have different colour palettes? And do Gambatte has great scalings/filters?

If yes on those two: I move on to Gambette. If only yes on one of those two: I would still have my hopes up for Gameyob3DS to have better sound.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But do Gambatte have different colour palettes? And do Gambatte has great scalings/filters?

If yes on those two: I move on to Gambette. If only yes on one of those two: I would still have my hopes up for Gameyob3DS to have better sound.

Gambatte offers the same colour palettes that the GBC BIOS uses in the Core Options page, but not custom palettes from a file (I assume that's what you meant). As for scaling, it uses the same filters that the other retroarch cores do, which on 3DS includes 2xBR, 2xSAI, Blargg's SNES composite/rf/rgb/s-video, Darken, EPX, LQ2X, Phosphor2x, Scale2x, Super2xSAI, and SuperEagle.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Gambatte offers the same colour palettes that the GBC BIOS uses in the Core Options page, but not custom palettes from a file (I assume that's what you meant). As for scaling, it uses the same filters that the other retroarch cores do, which on 3DS includes 2xBR, 2xSAI, Blargg's SNES composite/rf/rgb/s-video, Darken, EPX, LQ2X, Phosphor2x, Scale2x, Super2xSAI, and SuperEagle.

Yeah, I tested it. The colour palettes are nice and the scalings are superb. I could actually be 100 % satisfied with Gambatte if one thing was fixed. I really need it to fill out the screen and at the same time keep the correct aspect ratio, or at least 4:3.

Is there a way to get Custom Viewport Height to 240?

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some GB games look a lot better with SGB color support. Like Kirby's Dream Land 2 looks far better with its SGB color palette active. Some people like the borders, but I'm not concerned about them.

Just one of the nicer little features is all.

So a better color pallate. I can live without that if it gets rid of the tapping sound

Reactions: SLiV3R

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The borders are handy if you really want to run GB games with 1:1 mapping. At least, they were on the regular DS version of GameYob because the resolution was perfect. On the 3DS, you may as well just scale the GB output itself.

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The borders are handy if you really want to run GB games with 1:1 mapping. At least, they were on the regular DS version of GameYob because the resolution was perfect. On the 3DS, you may as well just scale the GB output itself.
I just go ahead and go full height resolution. But I can't stand the stretched image so I always have that empty side screen

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I use full height resolution on the 3DS too. With the DS version of GameYob however, the SGB game + border mapped 1:1 perfectly with the DS screen, giving a nice clean image (albeit with the border). Obviously the 3DS resolution is different so it doesn't really apply.

Besides, libretro Gambatte on 3DS doesn't support borders anyway.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambatte lacks SGB support...

As well as a decent UI with user-friendly button remapping/autofire support. Gameyob also lets you enable the 3D slider, giving you a much crisper image (regardless if it's not actually in 3D).

If the sound crackling issues were fixed, Gameyob would definitely be the best choice for GB/SGB emulation on 3DS.

Last edited by coinblock,
Reactions: Xenosaiga

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As well as a decent UI with user-friendly button remapping/autofire support. Gameyob also lets you enable the 3D slider, giving you a much crisper image (regardless if it's not actually in 3D).

If the sound crackling issues were fixed, Gameyob would definitely be the best choice for GB/SGB emulation on 3DS.
As for the remapping support, all RetroArch cores support per-game remapping, which was something I was looking into for GameYob until Gambatte got to a decent spot. I think GameYob has more potential, due to it being specifically tailored for the 3DS, but that's still a lot of work for something when there's already a good alternative. I mean, sure, it'd be nice to improve and work out the kinks in GameYob, but at best, it'll only be mildly better than Gambatte. Do you think it would be worth the work to just make something mildly better? If so, GameYob is opensource. Have fun.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Gambatte also has audio issues that are, sometimes, worse than Gameyob, like on Mario Tennis. RA devs don't seem to care though.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gambatte also has audio issues that are, sometimes, worse than Gameyob, like on Mario Tennis. RA devs don't seem to care though.
Well, that's not really the point of RA. For the most part, they don't make or improve emulation performance, with some exceptions. It's more of to just have a standardized platform for emulation across different systems. That's where most of their work goes. If you want Gambatte to be directly improved, you or someone else will have to work on the code itself.

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's not really the point of RA. For the most part, they don't make or improve emulation performance, with some exceptions. It's more of to just have a standardized platform for emulation across different systems. That's where most of their work goes. If you want Gambatte to be directly improved, you or someone else will have to work on the code itself.
That explains why it never gets any better... So much for waiting retroarch to get better.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That explains why it never gets any better... So much for waiting retroarch to get better.

Basically why I prefer original apps like this one over Retro-Arch; at least this one was going somewhere.

Also, would it be worthwhile to reverse-engineer the coding for the Pokemon RBY VC link cable coding into this? I understand it's written specifically for the games in question, but having at least some insight into how we could get link cable features working for the 3DS is better than nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro