Gaming Games with small file size.

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sup guys! I'm rocking my new PSP with my awesome 2GB stick so I have room for like over 2 games on it!!!!

Jokes aside, I've got 500mb or so free space (gotta delete pron first) too to use on some game(s). From experience on NDS side I knew N+ was small,(~50mb)so I grabbed that first, but I've played it enough on the DS so it won't keep me entertained for long.

Since the rest of the PSP library is pretty unknown to me so I thought of asking you guys for some small games (atleast by file size).

PS. Anyone else with big hands having trouble with the power on/off slide? I keep turning the console off/sleepmode while playing when reaching for R button. : < So annoying sometimes.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
look for .cso, they are compressed psp iso. You can also compress iso to cso yourself with free tools like umdgen.
You really can do much with a 2GB memory stick, that's why I'm glad I have a GO with 32GB of memory.
Good games are normally in the 1GB range

And yes, I have that problem with the power slider too, I fixed it with a monster hunter hand grip

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
RoMee said:
look for .cso , they are compressed psp iso. You can also compress iso to cso yourself with free tools like umdgen.

and yes, I have that problem with the power slider too, I fixed it with a monster hunter hand grip

I read that .cso has it's ups and downs, slower load times, possible glitches/bugs or something along those lines. And I'm already playing YS7, so I just want some small games to be able to play them when I get tired of YS7(which is rare, fantastic game indeed it is!). And from what I've read, compressing to .cso can save up to 50mb, or then it was 500mb, can't remember which. xD But for a game to have 500mb of empty space would mean that it'll be around 1.5gig to start with which is almost my whole memory stick at the moment.
biggrin.gif

E* Gonna take a look at that hand grip thing, might gonna consider it seeing as I've already turned off the console 3 times during boss fights on YS7. >.<

E2* Offtopic - excuse me, found this hand grip after 3min of googling around. I know DX is infamous for selling crap but any opinnions on this? http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flexible-hand...7067?r=75403757

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes some cso can be problematic if it's from someone who doesn't do it right, and some people remove the endings, cutscenes, etc. to make a game smaller. I always prefer iso over cso, but in your case it wouldn't hurt to try. when compressed properly cso works just as good as iso

I think FF tactics iso is 400mb
that's the only one I can think of right now that isn't shovelware crap

As for the monster hunter hand grip, it cost me $60 to import it from japan...yes that is a lot.
http://willtachiiri.com/post/1615341920/su...-3rd-officially

Ravte said:
E2* Offtopic - excuse me, found this hand grip after 3min of googling around. I know DX is infamous for selling crap but any opinnions on this? http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flexible-hand...7067?r=75403757
I tried one of those before, and I didn't like it, mine didn't fit right, but it's only $5, so I just gave it to my nephew

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
RoMee said:
yes cso can be problematic if it's from someone who doesn't do it right, and some people remove the endings, cutscenes, etc. to make a game smaller. I always prefer iso over cso, but in your case it wouldn't hurt to try.

I think FF tactics iso is 400mb
that's the only one I can think of right now that isn't shovelware crap

As for the monster hunter hand grip, it cost me $60 to import it from japan...yes that is a lot.
http://willtachiiri.com/post/1615341920/su...-3rd-officially

Ravte said:
I tried one of those before, and I didn't like it, mine didn't fit right, but it's only $5, so I just gave it to my nephew

$60!!! But man, that grip got style. Worth the money I bet. I'm still thinking about the Hand grip from DX, got a silicone cover coming over in mail someday soon, wonder if my PSP will fit into those grips then....
On topic, I'll look into FF Tactics, I tried it on NDS, but I was distracted by Disgaea at the time which was more appealing. I read somewhere that the game was rather easy? I mean the Tactics game, something about exp/jp rates up in the sky making the game a cakewalk with little grind?

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Leo Cantus said:
Half Minute Hero .cso = 91 mb
yay.gif

One of the best games available for the PSP!

Looked it up on youtube, damn that game seems to be hilarious! So gonna test it, thanks for the recommandation!
smile.gif

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Satangel said:
Emulators all the way. GBA is really worth those few MB's.
Or if you grew up with some SNES or older titles, even better, try them
smile.gif

Got SNES emulator already on my NDS. But boy oh boy, games back then were hard as hell, no checkpoints, no save possibility, lives (kids these days don't even know what 1-ups mean :

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ravte said:
Satangel said:
Emulators all the way. GBA is really worth those few MB's.
Or if you grew up with some SNES or older titles, even better, try them
smile.gif

Got SNES emulator already on my NDS. But boy oh boy, games back then were hard as hell, no checkpoints, no save possibility, lives (kids these days don't even know what 1-ups mean :

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what savestates are for
wink.gif

and you can check the emulator sticky in the hacking section for a link to GBAtemp's wiki. I also just posted instructions on adjusting to fullscreen with gpSP-J (my recommended gba emulator) at the end of that thread.

as I posted in the emu sticky, if anyone could verify those simple instructions as working for fullscreen, please post in the sticky and let everyone else know it works. I originally wrote those instructions out a long time ago and no longer have a PSP myself.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=236591&hl=
That has a list of games under 175MB.

As for CSO, there's multiple options when doing it and 9 compression levels, and different games react differently to the settings and compression levels... I recommend taking an ISO and compressing it to CSO not ripping anything (except the UPDATE section) and setting compression on medium, that should work well in almost all cases and still save you some megs.

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rydian said:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=236591&hl=
That has a list of games under 175MB.

As for CSO, there's multiple options when doing it and 9 compression levels, and different games react differently to the settings and compression levels... I recommend taking an ISO and compressing it to CSO not ripping anything (except the UPDATE section) and setting compression on medium, that should work well in almost all cases and still save you some megs.

Thanks for the list Rydian, I'll check it thoroughly after a nap. I prolly won't bother with cso compressing since I'm getting my 32gb card in 1-3 days and I'll only keep 3-5 biggers games on it at a time (so I actually complete some xD). But I'll get the GBA emulator for fun and golden memories of LoZ on gba

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Well with 32gb card you can fit every game you want to play with PSP. One full PSP ISO are 1,4gb max
biggrin.gif

MS Pro Duo's are so expensive so I'm forced to use 8gb and 4gb ones. Just curiosity: how much did your 32gb one cost?

Anyway you should look at minis. They are usually pretty small games. WTF, Angry Birds, Bloons TD are ones that come to mind.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank me later for this!
smile.gif

Sizes are for ISO optimized with UMDGen.
In bold, my personal favorites & recommendations.

All below 150 MO

- Crystal Defenders
- N+
- Thexder Neo
- Exit
- Hoard
- Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe
- EA Replay
- Half Minute Hero
- Hammerin' Hero
- Puzzle Quest
- Brave Story

All between 150 to 300 MO

- TwinBee Portable
- Final Fantasy
- Exit 2
- Disgaea Infinite
- ClaDun
- Salamander Portable
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
- Loco Roco Midnight Carnival
- Patchwork Heroes
- Final Fantasy 2
- Dragon's Lair
- Megaman Powered Up
- Sid Meyer's Pirates!

All between 300 to 500 MO

- Patapon
- Gradius Collection
- Downstream Panic
- Parodius Portable
- PaRappa the Rapper
- Metal Slug XX
- Tekken 6
- Soul Calibur
- ClaDun X2
- Undead Knights
- After Burner
- Prinny - Can I Really Be the Hero
- Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins
- Work Time Fun
- Kenka Bancho
- The Red Star
- Megaman Maverick Hunter X
- Loco Roco
- Burnout Legends
- Patapon 2 & 3
- GTA Chinatown Wars
- Sega Megadrive Collection

From google, more small sized games http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/430790

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Mario92 said:
Well with 32gb card you can fit every game you want to play with PSP. One full PSP ISO are 1,4gb max
biggrin.gif

MS Pro Duo's are so expensive so I'm forced to use 8gb and 4gb ones. Just curiosity: how much did your 32gb one cost?

Anyway you should look at minis. They are usually pretty small games. WTF, Angry Birds, Bloons TD are ones that come to mind.

you should get a PhotoFast CR-5400.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
koimayeul said:
Thank me later for this!
smile.gif

(In bold, my personal favorites & recommandation)

All below 150 MO in ISO :

- Crystal Defenders
- What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord! 1,2
- Jikandia
- Thexder Neo
- Hoard
- N+
- Exit
- Final Fantasy

All between 150 Mo to 300 MO in ISO :

- Puzzle Quest
- Exit 2
- Brave Story
- ClaDun
- What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord! 3
- Loco Roco Midnight Carnival
- Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe
- Half Minute hero
- Dragon's lair
- Megaman Powered Up
- Disgaea Infinite
- Final Fantasy 2

All between 300 to 500 MO in ISO :

- Sid Meyer's Pirates!
- Downstream Panic
- PaRappa the Rapper
- Patapon
- Prinny - Can I Really Be the Hero
- Work Time Fun
- Kenka Bancho
- After Burner
- Megaman Maverick Hunter X
- Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins
- GTA Chinatown Wars
- Loco Roco
- Burnout Legends
- Undead Knights

All between 500 to 600 MO in ISO :

- The Red Star
- Killzone Liberation
- Guilty Gear Judgment
- Patapon 2&3
- Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands
- Tales of Eternia

From google, more small sized games http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/430790
Excellent addition, thanks. Downloaded a few of those titles, thanks
smile.gif

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Field Runners is a great Tower Defense Game!

Mini Squadron is a fun dog fighting game.

Nova is a decent ripoff of Halo.

Peggle is an addictive puzzle game?

Jelly Car 2 is kinda fun... nothing special.

Get Daedalusx64. Only games worth adding are Quest 64, SM 64, Mario Kart 64, and Super Mario 64,, Super Smash Bros and Oot is laggy but almost playable.

I can't think of any others right now. I'll BBL if I think of some more
yay.gif

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Mario92 said:
biggrin.gif

I'm using 3C Pro 32GB 32G (16GB x 2) Class 4 microSD microSDHC Card with Dual MicroSDHC to Memory Stick MS Pro Duo Adapter - Retail.
http://www.amazon.com/microSD-microSDHC-Ph...3211&sr=8-2

Basicly it combines 2x16gb micro SDHC cards with an adapter to a one Memory Pro Stick Duo card with 32GB space (well mine had 29gb after formatting - but I still have 15GB left after adding all my movies/games, so I won't complain.)

The costs were Subtotal of Items: EUR 31,67 - Shipping & Handling: EUR 31,57 (I chose an express mail ( 2-3x faster, 5-7 work days instead of 10-30 work days but it costed me about 20euros or so.)
Total for this Order: EUR 63,24

64e for 32gb space, it's not that much compared to for what I could get from normal PC stores in Finland. (75e for 16gb)

On topic - I'm struggling to find a good site with unpatched/clean Isos to download, all sites have hosted the files on popular upload sites such as Megaupload which have 1GB limit per day as far as I know and that sucks when you're trying to download games with a file size of 1.6gb. >.< But thank god for the game recommendations guys! I'm filling up my bathroom breaks with joy now. Never had so much fun while taking a dump (lol
biggrin.gif
). Fun to once in a while to just chill couple minutes on a game that doesn't require you to be up to date with all the lore and all that hassle.

PS. Customs caught my package eventho I tried to be sneaky and told the seller to mail it as a gift (this is to avoid paying taxes) so I had to pay 15e taxes which brought it to around 78e, only 3e higher with double the memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...