ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

HumbertHumbert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't replicate the same palette as the original, so I added all the images cropped so that anyone who wants to can edit them

Really great, nice job! I just did one really minor tweak to replace the dark title on the English cartridge with the lighter version of the title - so we have the dark background, but bright title, like in the Japanese cartridge:

Idkhle6.png

Didn't really do anything, just combined the pieces you already created, but feel free to use it if you agree it's better. Here's the same revised cartridge, but alone and in the same canvas size/transparency/format Aaron provided it: http://i.imgur.com/HGxiW3J.png

Reactions: Pix3l

Pix3l

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Really great, nice job! I just did one really minor tweak to replace the dark title on the English cartridge with the lighter version of the title - so we have the dark background, but bright title, like in the Japanese cartridge:

Idkhle6.png

Didn't really do anything, just combined the pieces you already created, but feel free to use it if you agree it's better. Here's the same revised cartridge, but alone and in the same canvas size/transparency/format Aaron provided it: http://i.imgur.com/HGxiW3J.png

Good!
I was thinking about put in the clear one, but I preferred to leave the clippings of images and allows you to make the changes by yourself and decide which one is better :)

I tried to even touch the black letter, unfortunately I do not know what font was used and I have no way to replicate the effect of fire in the background, using kolourpaint is a little hard :)
I just realized the written Challenges...

gs_room_soft_arino.NCER_0.png

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I made a small script that takes my Adventure text and outputs it in blocks like it would be viewed in the game.

Even though the font isn't perfectly monospaced in the game, I get about 36 characters per line and there are 3 lines per screen so I used those numbers as a base.

I can see many places that could use some touching up and this could take a bit to get through but this will help tremendously speed up the initial "fit it all on the screen all lined up" phase.

Yeah, some of the older stuff I did desperately needs a rewrite. Excuse me while I hit myself with a hammer for writing some of this.

This should be usable for the RPG, too.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I like the combination of 2 and 3 that you did. It looks really nice!

I think the dream scenario (if even possible) would be that the bottom screen would do a conversation bubble (translated in English), every time Arino makes an audio comment during gameplay. So Arino would say "Abunai!" during gameplay, and the speech bubble on the bottom screen would say "Watch out!". So replace the text in the screenshot below with "Watch out!".
162599335_new-nintendo-ds-game-center-arcade-cx-arino-no-.jpg

I would not want his audio commentary replaced by someone reading his translated commentary, because the shows core fan base would probably not like anyone else saying Arino's lines except Arino. I'm not sure of any other smooth way to do it, without butchering the original content.
You could always have one version where the audio is replaced with the English version of the first game's...and a version with the undubbed audio. I'm used to the first game's translated audio, so I would be more likely to pick the English audio version. But other people might like the undubbed version.

Nah, I don't really know that much beyond watching the translated episodes, I'm having enough trouble just being able to tell the ADs apart and I only really know about the references that the show hammers over your head the most, like the squid jerky mentioned earlier in the thread. I appreciate the offer though.
I have a similar amount of knowledge, but maybe I can help if something pops up somewhere that you think is a reference to the show?

AnotherGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You could always have one version where the audio is replaced with the English version of the first game's...and a version with the undubbed audio. I'm used to the first game's translated audio, so I would be more likely to pick the English audio version. But other people might like the undubbed version.

The problem with that option is the volume of the quotes: I don't know the exact figures, but from what I understand, the second game has a lot more quotes that're more game-specific and from what I can tell, there's a few points where the speaker is someone other than Arino, such as in the Game Training Tool.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!
I joined this forum only for this thread! I love this game and I'm very happy for this job.
The possibility of being able to play a translated version of this game is fantastic!
when a playable version will be ready?

Welcome. I'll quote myself :P

Also, translators posting their progress is by no means a standard process, nor a right for supporters.
Besides, most translators I know of do not like people contacting them in public or through PM to ask for:
* a patch link / the current alpha build of the partial translation
* release date of the translation
* current progress of the translation

And they made it clear previously. Want some examples?
Crimson Nocturnal (a fan-translation group that SHUT DOWN because of PMs asking for progress/when will it be done/just hurry up already)
Mother 3 e-mail

If the translators want to post any of this information, they'll do it themselves, whenever they like.
If they don't, they won't. PMing them, or worse, arguing with them about it will only annoy them, and they won't reply in 99% of the cases.
Nobody has any right to have that information, they're doing it for free and out of their own dedication and love for the game, and so there's no need to make the process annoying for them more than it is. They are not paid to do this.

tldr; It will be done when it will be done.
Often the translator doesn't even know how much is left.
So be patient. It's being actively worked on and progressing nicely so far, but these questions are not popular here.
Thanks.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with that option is the volume of the quotes: I don't know the exact figures, but from what I understand, the second game has a lot more quotes that're more game-specific and from what I can tell, there's a few points where the speaker is someone other than Arino, such as in the Game Training Tool.

I remember one of the GCCX episodes talking about how Arino's dialogue was a lot more in the second game, versus the first.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, thanks for all the comments. Before I go to bed, I'll address what I've been doing today:

1. I took the text I exported into something that replicates the in-game display for the Adventure game and fixed it up so that it looked nice "in theory". I then put the intro for the 2nd half to the game back into the game to see how it works in reality...not bad, though I need one fewer space on the 2nd and 3rd lines, and the "," (comma) character adds a bunch of white space after it by default.

This doesn't mean everything is going to look perfect, but originally I just wrote in how I thought it would fit on screen and the entire thing is a wild guess. I would at least like most (if not all) of the text visible on the screen and not wandering off where nobody can see it, forget new line characters, page breaks, etc.

All in all this really helps, though. I'm zooming through the files.

EDIT> I *could* put up the intro to the second Adventure game but that would contain a bunch of spoilers. Though, the manual for the second game gives away some plot spoilers anyway come to think about it.

EDIT AGAIN> Okay, here is the result of one pass of the script/fixing up the spacing. I'm not totally happy with the translation since I compensated to fit it on the screen or couldn't think of a nice way to say something but that is for the final pass through the content after all this cosmetic/making sure it fits on screen stuff is done:

2. Nagato> Thanks. I seem to remember a bit about it and I may need that eventually but all in all it isn't bad the way it is right now, quirks and all.

3. I tried putting in the artwork (2nd Adventure Title, New Game cartridges)...Well, it didn't work in-game but I sort of see what happened. Working with OAM tables is ugly and slow, though. I may need help with the graphics in general. If it is just an image swap, I can handle that, but when something is tiled, I'm always having trouble, it seems.

4. Thanks for asking about the progress and all but please don't beg for a copy of the ROM/patch. Everything is still very rough around the edges and even though it is theoredically possible to play from beginning to end mostly in English (barring much of the RPG I think...not including almost all of the text that is actually graphics like the menus), not too much of the translation has been tested or checked yet and there are some inconsistencies to say the least. That and you are going to have dialogue that runs over the boxes, maybe bizarre corruption related to strings being too long or in the wrong places, some graphical swaps gone horribly awry, etc.

Reactions: HumbertHumbert

John Rambo

Trophies
Website
streitzogamecollection.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Italy
Welcome. I'll quote myself :P

tldr; It will be done when it will be done.
Often the translator doesn't even know how much is left.
So be patient. It's being actively worked on and progressing nicely so far, but these questions are not popular here.
Thanks.

I'm sorry for my question, I asked this question only out of curiosity.
I'll wait, is not a problem
I will follow you all the time you will need to :-)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I'm glad we have an understanding, then.

Just a quick note since I'll work on it tonight anyway, but I did a quick patch to try and make most of the Adventure Game(s) text fit on the screen. I originally underestimated the length of the first line and was pretty close on the 2nd and 3rd so it wasn't as arduous as I feared but there is a lot of text and it does take time.

Here is a snapshop of the text file showing roughly how each passage would look on screen. I purposely removed most of the tags for readability for you all but there are a few left over. Those don't appear in the game. Also, "NAME" is the substitute for your player's name. \c{0} is the code for it.

Warning: Spoilers since it has the entire game text for both Adventure games, albeit in a random order.
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/outputjustadvdialogue_fixed.txt
(Make sure you use a monospaced font if your browser or text editor doesn't use one automatically)

I'm still working on polishing up the translation and making it all fit but it's shaping up all right, at least.

(Yeah, I still have to polish up the in-game manuals but at least the first pass translation of all those is already done)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
*BOOM* Another update:

EDIT> Some other good news right now. I patched up the 9 in-game manuals (the main ones). It still isn't perfect but all the text seems to fall fairly decently on the pages and it's looking somewhat presentable now compared to what it looked like when I didn't care about formatting as much as just getting something resembling English in place.

On to the RPG... (I took a break from the Adventure game formatting to look at the RPG and fix up the in-game manuals)

Okay, I was bothered that I didn't see the intro to the RPG in any of the extracted game texts.

...and then I discovered the horror that it was in an overlay file and has to be hex edited by hand.
...and then I discovered the strings are in a completely random order and I had to go through and find out which lines went in what order by hand. (Edit> I did know some of this in the past when I first just started changing strings at random to show it could be changed but I wasn't focussing on the RPG until now)

Here, I'll share the madness. Here are snapshots of the intro:

http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story1.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story2.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story3.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story4.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story4b.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story5.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story5b.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story6.png
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/arino2/gqs_story7.png
And here is the extracted data from overlay10.bin (broken up so that there are newline characters between the blocks) with leading numbers indicating what order in the intro they appear.
Once I piece it together (already done), I'll have to translate that, but the bigger worry is that I may not be able to easily adjust lengths as needed (number of lines) so I hope I can get something that still fits into relatively the same length.

Code:
1  そのむかし……
2  ふしぎな ちからで
  やみは きえない――――
  きっと あたらしいせかいを
           だいさんぶ
12  しかし ときはながれ――――
  そして あたらしいせかいには
           しゅうまく
  きえたわけでは ありません。
  やみのちからの しょうたいは
22  さらに ときはながれ――――
  それはまた べつの きかいに
36  あうところから はじまります。
  あたらしいものがたりが――――
  つくることが できるはず――――
  せかいの そうぞうしゅを たおし
25  ガディアのちからを つかえるものが
        『やみをつくりしもの』
        ガディアクエストサーガ
3  ガディアという しゅごしゃを したがえ
17  たちあがり ちじょうかいの おうじょと
9  ちからをつかって やみをはらい――――
  やみのちからの きょういは えいえんに
26  せかいじゅうに あらわれはじめました。
32  いきをふきかえした やみは ちゃくじつに
13  やみのちからは めいかいの おくふかくで
23  3にんのゆうしゃの ちからは けっかいの
29  せかいの へいわを まもってきたのです。
5  それから ながい ながい じかんが ながれ
14  ふたたび めざめ まものたちを あやつって
  せかいを コントロールし いじしようとする
  そうぞうしゅ――カミ――の ちからでした。
28  ガディアマイスターと よばれて うやまわれ
  おはなしすることに いたしましょう――――
34  このものがたりは ガディアマイスターをめざす
35  3にんの わかものが てんかいの じょおうに
  これにて この ものがたりは おしまいです。
19  そしてついに 3にんのゆうしゃは みずからの
20  ちからを けっかいにかえ やみをふうじこめて
24  さようによって 3つのせかいに みち――――
30  しかし そのへいわにも かげりがみえはじめて
31  いることに きづくものは まだ すくなく……
  しかし みずからのなかに やみをもちながらも
  やみにまけない ひかりあふれる せかいをきずく
7  ゆうしゃの しそんである 3にんのきょうだいが
8  そせんから うけついだ ガディアを したがえる
10  てんかい ちじょうかい めいかいを とういつし
15  3つのせかいの へいわを おびやかしたのです。
16  そこに でんせつのゆうしゃの ちをひく3にんが
33  このせかいへ ちからを のばしつつ ありました。
  けついをした 3にんのゆうしゃたちならば――――
11  せかいを ひとつにすべく ちからをつくしました。
18  てをとりあって やみのちからと たたかいました。
21  せかいに ふたたび へいわを とりもどしました。
  そのくびきから かいほうされた いまでも――――
27  ガディアのちからの つかいかたを きわめたものは
4  せかいに へいわをもたらした ゆうしゃがいました。
6  ふたたび せかいに あんうんが たちこめたとき……

Reactions: HumbertHumbert

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
If it is anything like Advance Wars: Dual Strike, the pointers (32 bit pointers in reverse, aka four bytes) are basically the location to the text in the actual RAM. Once you figure that out, you won't have to worry about the lengths. However, you will have to stick with the amount of hex space that the text is dedicated to.

There are ways of expanding the overlay, but you must make sure the RAM space is not used for something else, which in most cases, it isn't.

There is way to find out where the overlay gets stored in the RAM, something to do with the main files.

EDIT: Of course, the y9.bin file contains the details on where to store the overlays in the RAM. Each 32 bytes contains details for each overlay. It should help in figuring out where overlay 10 is stored. :)

EDIT 2: According to the data in the y9.bin file, the overlay10_0010.bin is stored at location "0206A740" and contains "047E20" hex bytes.

Providing you know where the text is in the overlay, we should easily find be able to locate the pointers and should make life a lot easier.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
My theory was correct! No more worrying about length limits! :D

Let's take "そのむかし……". This is stored at hex offset (in the overlay): 46458

Now since we know the overlay is stored at hex address 0206A740, add hex 46458 which makes 020B0B98

Now reverse the bytes (since the pointers are stiored as 32 bit Little Endian pointers), which makes 980B0B02. Search for these values in a hex editor. You should get one result at 4677C. This is the pointer to that text.

If you want to have the text start in a different position, just use the method above and reverse the bytes.

Hope this helps!

What it does mean is you can store the text in the correct order, providing you know which pointers to edit. The only thing you have to worry about is the amount of hex space you have to store the text.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought I posted this a few days ago, but when I checked now, it was still in the "Post Reply" box :(

In regard to the translation/localization issues above (especially with what cubeboy says), I agree; the more we discuss it here and I plug along with the RPG text, I feel less bound by the previous Retro Game Master Translation. The show's charm is the cast and I wouldn't play our translation if we did (I haven't played the English version of the first game, for example). I say we keep Arino's voice, for example, though I don't know how feasible it is for there to be additional graphics to translate spoken text.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
RadioShadow> Thanks, I'll see what I can do with that.

I've been a tad busy but I've been messing around trying to make the Adventure game text fit and look better in addition to patching up some of my inconsistencies and other translation/language issues (the worst ones, anyway). Editing the file in the format I did earlier is quick and easy though putting all the changes back in the original scripts is going to be a bit tedious.

The manuals are looking decent but I think I need to sit away from them for a day and come at them with a fresh view.

I have some of the RPG game LBS files in the game but not really enough to show off much. I might put in some battle ones just so I can have something to look at. The story and overworld elements are okay in theory though I have to be careful with length. I'm not positive on all cases but I only have 2 lines of short text area to work with in quite a few cases, although much like the Adventure game I can add as many pages as I want. It works out all right but I just don't want a billion pages for each short dialogue.

I also have news that is not bad or good...it's just kind of...news. My old PC has had some problems with the hard disk and random crashing so it was time to cash in the LABI points (electronics store chain) and get something new.

Also, because I'm not an idiot, I had backups of everything so no progress was lost. At least I can work on this on the run without having to lug around that massive blue beast I've posted in my videos. (My Kindle Fire HD has served me well for the text translation but for the nitty gritty I need a real PC) The touch screen is a nice touch, too. I should put it 90 degree rotated display mode and carry around something that looks like the world's biggest NDS.

arinonewpc.jpg

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow, a lot of posts for these past few days.
Much amaze, very progress.

Also, because I'm not an idiot, I had backups of everything so no progress was lost.

Thank goodness!
Most people don't seem to understand how important this is.
People, if you value anything in your hard drives right now...
trust me. DO A BACKUP! HD's tend to fail when you most need them.

By the way, kinda off topic but... has anyone seen RGC3?
It looks... I don't know. Ugly and weird.

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, a lot of posts for these past few days.
Much amaze, very progress.

Thank goodness!
Most people don't seem to understand how important this is.
People, if you value anything in your hard drives right now...
trust me. DO A BACKUP! HD's tend to fail when you most need them.

By the way, kinda off topic but... has anyone seen RGC3?
It looks... I don't know. Ugly and weird.

I have and didn't like it at all. The games this time are bland at best but if they include the older ones, then I'll take more notice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4