Hardware Fresh Setup - New 3DS Desired

jlongee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Everyone.

My son is really wanting to play a lot of the 3DS games. I picked up a Switch Lite for him thinking that we'd be able to get most of the games digitally, but that doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of the games he wants to play. Plus the fact that it doesn't have the dual screens changes a lot of things.

Since Nintendo no longer manufactures any new 3DS's, but I still want a new console, the best option seems to be imported JPN consoles in the mid $200's (I'm in US). Any still new US XL's appear to cost almost double that. It looks like I could flash the US firmware on there and mod it to run games from an SD card, is all of that accurate? I'm thinking of getting two so that he and I could play some of the games together.

I'm somewhat familiar with the process, I used to mess with R5 cards and CFW on other consoles, and I work in IT so as long as there's decent guides I don't think I'll have a major issue.

Thank you much for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it!

Edit: There are refurb's available for a decent price at something like Gamestop. Am I just better off with that option?

Last edited by jlongee,

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Everyone.

My son is really wanting to play a lot of the 3DS games. I picked up a Switch Lite for him thinking that we'd be able to get most of the games digitally, but that doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of the games he wants to play. Plus the fact that it doesn't have the dual screens changes a lot of things.

Since Nintendo no longer manufactures any new 3DS's, but I still want a new console, the best option seems to be imported JPN consoles in the mid $200's (I'm in US). Any still new US XL's appear to cost almost double that. It looks like I could flash the US firmware on there and mod it to run games from an SD card, is all of that accurate? I'm thinking of getting two so that he and I could play some of the games together.

I'm somewhat familiar with the process, I used to mess with R5 cards and CFW on other consoles, and I work in IT so as long as there's decent guides I don't think I'll have a major issue.

Thank you much for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it!

Edit: There are refurb's available for a decent price at something like Gamestop. Am I just better off with that option?

Well if you plan on soft modding the 3DS I would strongly recommend following this guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/ read up and if anything remains unclear the community is always willing to help.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I wanted a n3DS (non-XL) and ended up importing one USED from Japan using proxy shipping through the Buyee service; purchased from Mercari. This seemed to be the best option for that model, and I'm pretty happy with it. Came in better shape than a GameStop refurb would have.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@jlongee You're looking for a New 3DS XL model.. and there's the New 2DS, the latest model of the 3DS,and it does/plays the same games just without the 3D functio ,for the few games that support it that is. You can look for New 2DS, as you could find them cheaper.

jlongee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies folks. I ended up getting two, one from JPN and one from US with dual IPS screens (that one was a little pricey). Both the exterior cases are in pretty good condition.

The JPN one came in first so I ended up doing CFW on that, which was a little challenging not being able to read the menus lol. But I got through it and all is working. US one came in a few days later and that was much easier but same process. I don't think I'm going to region change the JPN one since from what I've read it would kill eshop access, and I can fumble my way through the menus for the most part. I'll be giving my son the US one, I've pre-loaded it with some of the stuff he wants so I think he'll love it!

Thanks again, it's been a fun process getting everything to work and being able to enjoy some of the best games from my youth that aren't available anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/