Homebrew  Updated

FPSLocker - set custom FPS target in retail games

An overlay that with SaltyNX 0.7.0+ allows to set custom FPS in Nintendo Switch retail games.

Disclaimer: Tool is utilizing detection of graphics API to manipulate FPS. It supports special patches that are helping with going above 30 FPS in games using proprietary FPS locks.

You can see here how it works (I was utilizing Witcher 3 dynamic resolution config mod to make anything above 30 FPS available):

More in README (I recommend to read it + also SaltyNX readme if you don't know how it works)
Repo: https://github.com/masagrator/FPSLocker
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/FPSLocker/releases
Patches: https://github.com/masagrator/FPSLocker-Warehouse

Last edited by masagrator,

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Released version 1.2.2.

Per the request I have added an option that allows setting double buffer in games that are triple buffered.
Obvious pros of using it is better framepacing and lower input lag.
Con is that any FPS drops are severe.

So it's recommended to use it only for games that have nearly stellar performance at 30 or 60 FPS, but suffer from bad framepacing or big input lag.

Mike_77712

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Released version 1.2.2.

Per the request I have added an option that allows setting double buffer in games that are triple buffered.
Obvious pros of using it is better framepacing and lower input lag.
Con is that any FPS drops are severe.

So it's recommended to use it only for games that have nearly stellar performance at 30 or 60 FPS, but suffer from bad framepacing or big input lag.
i'd love to try this out on galaga 88. nasty input lag in that game

Valkyrie743

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for my incompendents with this kind of thing but is it possible to force a double buffered game to be triple buffered? ( like TOTK or BOTW) ?? if so how can i go about this?

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
sorry for my incompendents with this kind of thing but is it possible to force a double buffered game to be triple buffered? ( like TOTK or BOTW) ?? if so how can i go about this?
No. Logic behind most of double buffered games in Switch is heavily custom and not only this requires ton of work to edit internal game classes to properly support third framebuffer, but also you must disable any tricks that are used to take advantage of delay caused by double buffer. Like in Captain Tsubasa First one is pretty easy to do with exefs patch because they are not hardcoding offsets of each framebuffer class, but framebuffer is glitching very frequently because game tries to push frame that technically is not finished.

Emulators can workaround them at the expense of higher RAM usage which on Switch is not that pheasible without RAM swap to 6GB.

huyincai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
No. Logic behind most of double buffered games in Switch is heavily custom and not only this requires ton of work to edit internal game classes to properly support third framebuffer, but also you must disable any tricks that are used to take advantage of delay caused by double buffer. Like in Captain Tsubasa First one is pretty easy to do with exefs patch because they are not hardcoding offsets of each framebuffer class, but framebuffer is glitching very frequently because game tries to push frame that technically is not finished.

Emulators can workaround them at the expense of higher RAM usage which on Switch is not that pheasible without RAM swap to 6GB.
My friend successfully upgraded the ram to 8 GB,and he found TOTK uses almost 7GB,but no fps improvement.Would triple buffer help a little?

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well,can fpslocker force game to be triple buffer?
:rolleyes:
This applies to ToTK and BoTW too.

SerpentStomper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can all of this work with Ryujinx emulator?

I have those SDcard and atmosphere folders, so I followed your guide and got the overlays and fps lock stuff but is it different for someone using emulator? I press LB, down D-pad, Right Stick and nothing comes up in game.

The reason I ended up here is because I disabled the Vsync in Skyrim through it's ini file, and it runs awesome on M1 Mac to 65in 4K tv, but something is wrong and it seems to be Vsync related, and I think this is the fix. When I move the movement will stutter even though I'm mostly on 60fps the whole time. Worse in first person for some reason, the feet shuttle and make noise it's like controls are bugged but I think it's the frame timing thing I just don't fully get all this stuff.

What I don't understand is if we need to do all of this because dynamic resolution makes the timing jump around, how come we can't just disable DR? I turned it off in ini file but shuttering still happens. I've increase the MS range so it won't engage and left it on too, still no fix.

So any help is appreciated, greatly. Getting the Switch port of Skyrim to look better than my Xbox version all on a tiny MacBook I can leave closed and connected to tv or on the go has been awesome , I can't believe how good it looks especially with that FSR setting turned on in Ryujinx, but this one hiccup has become my mortal enemy. Please help me fix this stutter and get this bad boy sync'd up!

episode_nexus29

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So I saw this tool used by MVG. i'm curious, i have atmosphere to latest firmware, are there any risk of bricking my switch doing this? if i fail with the install, can i just go back? seeing as i just need to copy and paste these tools and just overwrite the atmosphere folder.

please help.

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
seeing as i just need to copy and paste these tools and just overwrite the atmosphere folder.
You know that you won't overwrite any file used by Atmosphere to work, right? :creep:
Post automatically merged:

Can't wait for the MGS Master Collection Vol.1 to be released to see if this tool can do its magic and increase FPS to 60.
And even if not, we have already experience from 3DS version where it was 60 FPS unlocked what to search.

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just wanted to thank you for this. Pretty amazing stuff, not to mention all the patches you've worked on.
masagrator GOAT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...