Hacking Flatmii Announced

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raiyu245 said:
lol, its no soldering but you still have to open the Wii to get it to work? In that case you might as well buy a modchip and wii-clip. It does the same thing as modchips do except you don't have to waste any discs.

This is a modchip - yes, it works differently to the current styles of Wii modchips which attack the drive's controller. This one acts as a man-in-the-middle between the drive and the main board - it pretends to be the drive. To be perfectly honest I'm surprised that noone's come out with something like this sooner. I know drive emulation is a messy business, but then so are the ways modern Wii chips work. Most of what I say here is stuff about this kind of modchip rather than this specific one...

The install videos boil down to "open the Wii, stick the chip down so it's not going to go flying about, connect it to the drive's cable, optionally plug the drive in to it, run the USB cable out through a hole in the case (like with the D2Pro, D2SUN, etc. upgrade cables) and (presumably) connect it to some sort of adapter to plug in to the PC and run the controller software. About the same level of difficulty as a Wii-clip install. Since it's not using the Wii's USB ports, it's not restricted to USB 1.1, and since there's always software running on a PC to talk to the chip, they can probably cut down on the hardware needed on the chip itself making it cheaper to manufacture.

The real advantage is that the only way to defeat this kind of chip is to change the way the Wii mainboard talks to the DVD drive. The IOS doesn't even know this exists - it just sees a drive. Then you just get the same arms race that lead to the range of controller chips (D2C, D2C2, D2E, etc) and it's already known how that sort of race turns out for the hardware hackers. It also breaks repair options for Nintendo, since a drive would only be replaceable with an identical model rather than the current way where any drive can be replaced with any other. The irony is that such a chip could allow for replacement with another kind of drive since it'd just have to emulate the kind the system wants anyway. This kind of chip increases the number of such battles Nintendo's got to fight to three - existing drivechips, softmodding and drive emulator chips. That's going to leave their ability to respond spread pretty thin.

Another advantage: those Wiis with broken drives could become useful again. Laser crapped itself? Replace the drive with one of these.

The disadvantage: the Wii's tethered to a computer. But that only applies to this particular chip - there's no reason that you couldn't have an external hard drive plugged in to this kind of chip, although that would require more processing grunt on the chip itself.

Then again, this is all assuming it's real - whilst it's very plausible to me, I'll wait until I actually see it for sale before I believe it. Even if it isn't, it's going to make other people look at this kind of method. Memor32/Memento for the PlayStation 2 triggered Free MC Boot/ESR - now almost any PS2 memory card can be a modchip. This sort of thing also opens up the possibility of third-party drive replacement.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well it is absolutely possible. Micheal (the creator of the USB-Gecko) has an DVD-Emulator that loads games from SD-card (on his DVD-emulator board). So it's absolutely possible to emulate the Wiis DVD-drive and since the Wii has standard-conenctors it would really be plug and play.

pir

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If it's real, they had to spend a lot of time to develop this product.
So why not spend a little more time to make it possible to load iso's directly from a usb drive ?
A chip on the board should be able to do it, no ?
There's even no announcement of such a feature.
(I admit I've don't know anything about the wii ios, so what I say might sound stupid)

This way, they could make a movie where they switch from one sreen to another: PC and Wii; not possible if a usb drive is attached.

Moreover, AFAIK, no site received a sample of this product. It's unusual.

I doubt this is true.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Actually, I even hope this is not true. Nintendo would be pretty screwed (even more than now) and even less Wii games will be sold, which leads to less games on the market and third party developers who are losing interests. :/

But if it's real, loading times should be dramatically reduced since USB 2.0 is way faster than 6x dvd-read speed.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fake...

Really easy:

He loads up a ISO from USB (W/e the USB is not connected to the disc drive ( not memory) in what so ever)

Ok it loads up (full speed... LOL ) and than he goes back to Wii menu.. and... THE DISC IS STILL THERE...

Look if he ejected that disc without seeing it okay I didn't post but.

You should load up the ISO again if you "reset" your wii (incl mem) >.> TSK TSK...
(And see his Wii sport disc again)

So, pretty clear that this is fake... (also USB 1.1
ohmy.gif
remember)

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i take back what i said before about this being the greatest hack ever (if it's real, which seems more plausible now). i only viewed the video posted here. when i watched the install videos i realized it is another hardware mod, too bad i was hoping not to have to open the wii up. oh well at least it will probably cost less than a chip (maybe $15-20 if they're reasonable). it's too bad we never got the source to the gamma cios, there might have been an sd card iso loader by now (hey you never know) *waits for more lectures about how sd card is not fast enough*. but this could still be useful for people without chips to play gc games.

it is true that you would need to have your pc on and store all of those damn 4GB images on your hard disc to play them. maybe you could scrub the iso and store it on an ntfs partition with compression enabled on the file. I was thinking that the disc could be read from the pc drive, then i remembered most drives can't read wii discs, but if the disc was a backup this could work (assuming your drive can read dvds pretty fast). i don't think that feature was in the demo video though.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Well installation video shows that it is actually 99% percent true... I don't see any reason someone getting into all the hassle of registering a web site, creating presentations and such...

But it's biggest weakness is in that you need a usb controlling pc or a similar device at one hand to serve the backups... Not so flexible...

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well..even IF this would be true, I don't think I have the time to start up the PC every time when I want to play a Wii-Game...this would be so annoying...
lecture.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Jesse Sander said:
Blue-K said:
Well..even IF this would be true, I don't think I have the time to start up the PC every time when I want to play a Wii-Game...

With some more expensive usb-like chips you probably won't even need a computer.

Shure? Then you mean that USB-HD loading would be possible with this (you still have to store the ISOs...)? THIS would be awesome...

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Well installation video shows that it is actually 99% percent true... I don't see any reason someone getting into all the hassle of registering a web site, creating presentations and such...

But it's biggest weakness is in that you need a usb controlling pc or a similar device at one hand to serve the backups... Not so flexible...
you all going to have all your ISO's backed up on PC, either scrubbed or not, fuck me you will need nice storage on your PC, im ok i have 1000gb which is cheap, but to be honest this does look pretty dam real i agree with WiiCrazy...

Looks like a good thing, but either way its still going to be a piss about opening the wii, that's what you don't want to do now, since backup loading came easy..

and yeah as Blue-K said, total piss about having to turn on the PC, send this that over etc, but mind you your still doing this with your disc swapping, unless you only play certain games hehe

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Jesse Sander said:
Blue-K said:
Well..even IF this would be true, I don't think I have the time to start up the PC every time when I want to play a Wii-Game...

With some more expensive usb-like chips you probably won't even need a computer.

Without some software on wii you need a really intelligent stuff on the usb master side that allows you to select the game and stuff and probably doing the communication with wii... that means another gadget....

The only case this would come handy is if you damaged your wii's drive then I guess it would be cheaper to use this... still you need an intelligent machine (in the advertisement it's a pc) on one end...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think Flatmii is just a Wii drive connector to usb2.0 adapter, it could be produced very cheap as it only needs little processing power. All the "magic" happens at the pc, if you would do all the important stuff in a seperate chip, the price for this device would explode.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
seems like a lot of fluffing over nothing if you could install a splitter and switch between drive and USB it would have its uses but to replace the drive completely with a PC you might aswell just wait for higher compatability in Dolphin. I would rather see a decent sized HDD replace the drive with suitable controller even if it is more expensive and FTP files to it.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well.... I guess it's time to for me to put my 2 cents in... If it's not real then it was a good joke... too bad it was on me and whoever else...

On the other side of the coin... if it is real... where do I line up to get one?! I'll take this over a drive modchip any day. Even if it is meant for me tie it into my pc. Would work great for me as you can see below...

1010001dv4.jpg

Yea, my Wii is sandwiched between to burners...
wink.gif

It's still pretty inexpensive to replace the Wii dvd drive though...($58.12 US)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16025
sku160251smallfn4.jpg

Personally, I would love to load .iso's from my PC.. instead of the DVD drive at 3x with the softmod.
I guess this still wouldn't help if you bricked your Wii though...

If this is not fake and someone tries it...please don't hold back... let us know what your thoughts are on this.. because I am definately interested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw