Check if modchip exists without opening the case

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking to buy some 003 bricked koren wii and play around based on this tutorial.

However it requires a wasabi dx modchip which costs more than a used, working wii console. Since I am doing for fun only, I don't want to invest too much for that chip.I am thinking if I am lucky enough to find one from 4 of my Wiis. Opening all 4 consoles seem a bit overkill so I am wishing there is software-based solution for checking for existence of modchip. Thank you for your input.

Edit: Seems the video is using an old way to do it.

The required steps are
**Modchipped DVDROM is needed
1) Try to autoboot a game with exploit
The old way :
Since the first available save file for SSBB with exploit is for euro/pal only, if your wii is region-changed to other region, you need to autoboot MarioKart or any game support install as channel to bypass region lock. Then swap the SSBB disc when installing it as channel so it boots SSBB-PAL.

The new way:
Connect GameCube controller to port 4, hold all 4 directions (You need to remove the plastic pad to allow you pressing all 4 directions), autoboot a patch SSBB at the same region of your region-changed wii

2) Run KoreanKii

Other questions
1a) Why a DVDRom drive with support to read DVDR is required? Does it mean the drive will reject DVDR disc? If no, shouldn't the modchip already do the job to tell the system the disc is genuine?
1b) How to recognize that "magic" DVDRom drive? Any known DVD drive chip/Board?
2) What is "Diagnostic disc check off"?

Last edited by boris1,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I’m generally not that familiar with modchips, but I think the following should work

-Run syscheck to confirm you have all stock IOSs in IOS slots <80; i.e. confirm darkcorp \ cioscorp is not installed
-Confirm you do not have enabled a priiloader setting to use a different system menu IOS for disk loading (i.e. it should be set to use the default which is to use the system menu IOS)
-Then try playing a backup disk via the disk channel, if it plays, you’ve got a modchip. If it doesn’t play AND original disks play fine, you don’t have a modchip. If original disks don’t play, then your laser is burned out or something similar and we can’t determine using this method.

Reactions: Kopimist

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wasabi had a config menu right? You can easily check for the wasabi dx specifically based on the ability to load into the menu.

Edit: looks like the wasabi menu was hitting the eject 3 times after reset. I have a wasabi and kinda forgot about it.

Reactions: Kopimist and XFlak

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m generally not that familiar with modchips, but I think the following should work

-Run syscheck to confirm you have all stock IOSs in IOS slots <80; i.e. confirm darkcorp \ cioscorp is not installed
-Confirm you do not have enabled a priiloader setting to use a different system menu IOS for disk loading (i.e. it should be set to use the default which is to use the system menu IOS)
-Then try playing a backup disk via the disk channel, if it plays, you’ve got a modchip. If it doesn’t play AND original disks play fine, you don’t have a modchip. If original disks don’t play, then your laser is burned out or something similar and we can’t determine using this method.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS13 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS14 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS15 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS16 (rev 257): Flash Access
IOS17 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS20[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS22 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS28 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS30[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3349): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS34 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS35 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS36 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS38 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS40[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS43 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS45 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS46 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS50[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5406): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5661): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5405): No Patches
IOS70[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access

For those with Info:ModMii, are they stocks? Thanks

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wasabi had a config menu right? You can easily check for the wasabi dx specifically based on the ability to load into the menu.

Edit: looks like the wasabi menu was hitting the eject 3 times after reset. I have a wasabi and kinda forgot about it.
Tried two of my Wiis but out of luck, will try the other two soon.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
For those with Info:ModMii, are they stocks? Thanks
Those that say modmii are not stock, but they're fine, they aren't used for backup disk loading (they're extra brick protection in case someone tries to foolishly up or downgrade without a sane system menu IOS in place first)

But a ton of your other ios's are patched, I suggest u drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do to fix it

Reactions: slaphappygamer

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried two of my Wiis but out of luck, will try the other two soon.
Is there any reason you suspect you have one of those to have a wasabi dx? Or are you just hoping?

My knowledge of wii hacking scene kinda ends around.. 2010-ish and sorta just recently jumped back into it. I remember there used to be a method you could use a gamecube controller and a copy of brawl you could recover it with. As I wrote this I kinda remembered the name and it's actually briefly mentioned in the post you had under your op - savemiifrii. https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-there-an-error-003-fix.538330/post-8633130 also mentions it, in a better formatted post. It's probably a less of a headache than tracking down a working dx and taking apart the wii to install it.

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason you suspect you have one of those to have a wasabi dx? Or are you just hoping?

My knowledge of wii hacking scene kinda ends around.. 2010-ish and sorta just recently jumped back into it. I remember there used to be a method you could use a gamecube controller and a copy of brawl you could recover it with. As I wrote this I kinda remembered the name and it's actually briefly mentioned in the post you had under your op - savemiifrii. https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-there-an-error-003-fix.538330/post-8633130 also mentions it, in a better formatted post. It's probably a less of a headache than tracking down a working dx and taking apart the wii to install it.
Since the drive date is 2008, and all of them are pre-owned, just bet my luck instead of buying a mod chip or savemii dongle

Edit: It seems I mixed up savemii dongle with savemiifrii , at which the latter only need a GC controller

Last edited by boris1,

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my fifth wii (PAL) arrived. Opened but out of luck - no chip and stripped one screw.
anyway, I should buy a retail SSBB and GC controller first. But it looks like lots of SSBB variance and I guess smash stack only works on 1.00 but not 1.01 and 1.02.

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since my laptop is running out of space for burning DVDR. I finally opened three of my Wiis. Two got chipped but surely difficult to pull it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_102746.jpg
    IMG_20220728_102746.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220728_094543.jpg
    IMG_20220728_094543.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 122

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly me. I totally forgot I can pull the drive out instead of the chip. Time to buy some dvd-r since both drives are d2c and should support burnt dvd

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GC controller arrived. But unable to boot into recovery mode. Already plugged into port 4 and tested with VC Test - all 4 directions are properly pressed.

Last edited by boris1,

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After some googling, someone said knock off gc controller may not work for savemiifrii. Maybe mine one is knock off....... Tried two wiis and both doesnt work. Tried holding 4-d before power on or after power on.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

I don't know if still is relevant, but the Wasabi chips create a virtual configuration disk if you press eject button three times quickly. and if you run that GC disk a configuration menu is show, do not display versions but is a indicator of a wasabi chip.

MasDeabes

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where I can get the solderless chips from? it's been a while since its discontinuation, and of course I'm a victim of the infamous 003 error on the Korean Wii. without that chip, it's just going to sit there building up as e-waste

boris1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know where I can get the solderless chips from? it's been a while since its discontinuation, and of course I'm a victim of the infamous 003 error on the Korean Wii. without that chip, it's just going to sit there building up as e-waste
you may buy a chipped wii and swap the drive. It does not require any soldering

Reactions: SylverReZ

Aat_m8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
i can give you a website that sells sunkey fusion but it will take like over 3 weeks (thats how long it took me)

• Sad
Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1