Firefox v29

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This is how my Firefox v29 looks like:

BvSPCba.jpg

I'm using Windows 7 with the Classic Theme, so it kinda looks as though I'd be usin' XP.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I am not liking about this update thus far is the position of the refresh button on the right of the address bar. in v28, these were originally buttons I can place on the left hand side. I was also able to keep the stop and refresh buttons separate. But now with this update, the refresh button seems to be fused into the address bar to the right and it's really throwing me off. Anyway of fixing this? Looks like I might need an add-on of some kind for this. :(

Reactions: dilav

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Firefox got super bloated and slow somewhere in the 3x.x line... I switched to Chrome, and haven't looked back. I still don't care for Firefox. It beats IE, but not by much.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
What's with the missing forward button? I use it often when I accidently pressed the back button.

I have a 4 button mouse, so I hit one of the buttons to hit forward, so not a big problem for me. :D

EDIT: Just tested it, and it still works. I can still move forward with my fifth mouse button.

A 5+ button mouse is a must have now a days. I never have to use either the back or (now missing) forward buttons in Firefox, I just use the mouse buttons to do that. :D

Though sometimes I do go up and right click the back button to see my back history. Useful if I want to skip back several pages. (also useful for getting out of redirect traps when trying to back past a page that redirects to another page).

I suppose the lack of the forward button means I can't do the same with that. Though honestly I don't ever recall needing to use the forward history....

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Firefox got super bloated and slow somewhere in the 3x.x line... I switched to Chrome, and haven't looked back. I still don't care for Firefox. It beats IE, but not by much.
Yes, it did. Then with 4.x it started to become faster and less memory-hogging and now it's not much worse than Chrome - Firefox is in fact better if you want to open a gazillion tabs for some reason.
The only thing I am not liking about this update thus far is the position of the refresh button on the right of the address bar. in v28, these were originally buttons I can place on the left hand side. I was also able to keep the stop and refresh buttons separate. But now with this update, the refresh button seems to be fused into the address bar to the right and it's really throwing me off. Anyway of fixing this? Looks like I might need an add-on of some kind for this. :(
Ah, you're right - I've had it in there since forever (if you place those buttons to the right of the address bar they merged into it for a long time) so I didn't notice, but the option seems to have disappeared. You could try and see if one of the options in Classic Theme Restorer brings it back, I know it has a ton of options (not just "make it look like v28").
And the forward button is not gone, it just disappears when it's useless (aka when you can't go forward anyway). That's nothing new either.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it did. Then with 4.x it started to become faster and less memory-hogging and now it's not much worse than Chrome - Firefox is in fact better if you want to open a gazillion tabs for some reason.

Well most systems these days have over 4GB of RAM, so unused RAM is wasted RAM. And I doubt anyone uses enough tabs to fill all 4GB... That would take like, 25 youtube vids at once, plus like 20 or 30 Facebook tabs or more, which is just absurdly over the top.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well most systems these days have over 4GB of RAM, so unused RAM is wasted RAM. And I doubt anyone uses enough tabs to fill all 4GB... That would take like, 25 youtube vids at once, plus like 20 or 30 Facebook tabs or more, which is just absurdly over the top.
I've seen someone who had 500 tabs open on average with a peak (when he visited TVtropes) of about 1200, so eh. Also while unused RAM is wasted RAM, unneccessarily used RAM is wasted RAM too. It could be much better used for superfetch or whatever.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

Ah, you're right - I've had it in there since forever (if you place those buttons to the right of the address bar they merged into it for a long time) so I didn't notice, but the option seems to have disappeared. You could try and see if one of the options in Classic Theme Restorer brings it back, I know it has a ton of options (not just "make it look like v28").
And the forward button is not gone, it just disappears when it's useless (aka when you can't go forward anyway). That's nothing new either.

Yeah there's a certain order one has to put the refresh and stop buttons in for them both to appear. I don't recall exactly now though due to the update. But I think the refresh button has to be to the left of the stop button. If not, they get merged into one button. :P

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've seen someone who had 500 tabs open on average with a peak (when he visited TVtropes) of about 1200, so eh. Also while unused RAM is wasted RAM, unneccessarily used RAM is wasted RAM too. It could be much better used for superfetch or whatever.

Yeah, but Superfetch is smart, and releases RAM to apps as they need it, and refills when RAM is idle, so that's not really an issue. And I have never had more than 7 or 8 tabs open at once before, I can't think of any possible need for 500-1200, that's unrealistic and absurd, definitely not every day practice.

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What's with the missing forward button? I use it often when I accidently pressed the back button.
It's not gone :) It appears when you can actually go forward (as in you pushed back at least once)

Edit: woah, suddenly there's an extra page, guess my browser derped :D

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My favorite version of Firefox is the Palemoon project.. ..its also Open Source, and you can check it out here

really, I don't know why it's not more known ..it's a really good version, more optimized, they keep it up to date, and without the mood changes from random updates (I really stopped worrying about if I should or not update, like I did on standard firefox.. ..now I can always update without the danger of crazy surprises).

I know my message turned out looking like a ad haha ..But really, I like it and never had big issues with it on the last years

Has someone else here already tried it too? ..maybe the OP?

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My favorite version of Firefox is the Palemoon project.. ..its also Open Source, and you can check it out here

really, I don't know why it's not more known ..it's a really good version, more optimized, they keep it up to date, and without the mood changes from random updates (I really stopped worrying about if I should or not update, like I did on standard firefox.. ..now I can always update without the danger of crazy surprises).

I know my message turned out looking like a ad haha ..But really, I like it and never had big issues with it on the last years

Has someone else here already tried it too? ..maybe the OP?

I use Palemoon as my *ahem* 'no history' browser.

Reactions: Walker D

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Screenshot from 2014-05-05 01:14:47.png

welcome to the future people......

O' WAIT!

you people dont like the future.

Firefox is about customization and security, better open standards ... by not updating to v29. you make the hackers win... and not the cool custom 3DS firmware hackers. but the steal your credit card money hackers.

just install one of million addons to make it look and run like how you want.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Flame, I'll happily update whenever there's a new Firefox update but I can't get used to the design changes.

Whenever I see the Home Button change to the right it bothers me so I swap it again to the left.

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe me, I tried Chrome and it bit. Hard. I am what you call a really bad tabber. I always have 30+ tabs open between a couple browser instances at all times. FF can close and re-open those 30 tabs (both instances) inside of 20 seconds. Due to the way chrome runs a separate instance for every tab and the way that Windows runs it's virtual memory from slow-ass disk, Chrome could not close down and re-open those 30 tabs (2 instances) within 10 minutes. That made a reboot for updates an arduous process to say the least. It came down to pure time economics for me.

Sure FF has pissed me off from time to time (that homegrown internal PDF reader - worst. idea. ever. crashed like a SOB) but they have always fixed stuff quickly and I was able to bring this crap look of v29 back to classic with the restorer add-on in no time.

The amount of great add-ons in FF also is a big plus for me.

-vm

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is no spyware in chrome...
There is no spyware in Chrome... Chrome IS spyware. It's made by Google for heaven's sake. Why do you think there are so many add ons and extensions designed to prevent you been tracked etc?

*says the guy who uses Chrome and owns two Nexus devices.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Yes, because I love having my games and other stuff run slow because Firefox is using a good 3-4GB of RAM. In fact, that kind of attitude is why things get so slow as everything wants to load at startup and never release any memory. Remember, when you close a tab that RAM is not freed because after all you might want to go back there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: