Firefox v29

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmmm odd. A lot of the things mentioned (refresh + stop being fused, forward button hidden if there isn't any to forward to, etc) seems to have been implemented in v28. At least that's how they appear to me.

As for me, I'm just not too sure I like the tiles in the dropdown menu very much. :\

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmmm odd. A lot of the things mentioned (refresh + stop being fused, forward button hidden if there isn't any to forward to, etc) seems to have been implemented in v28. At least that's how they appear to me.

As for me, I'm just not too sure I like the tiles in the dropdown menu very much. :\
They were, even far before that, but you could disable it by moving the refresh, stop, back and forward buttons using the customize option. Now you no longer can.
Yes, because I love having my games and other stuff run slow because Firefox is using a good 3-4GB of RAM. In fact, that kind of attitude is why things get so slow as everything wants to load at startup and never release any memory. Remember, when you close a tab that RAM is not freed because after all you might want to go back there.
Seriously, when is the last time you used Firefox? You sound like you harbor some years-old grudge against it for some reason. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be, no addons and a whole bunch of tabs sets you back like 4-500 MB or so, not several GB. It used to be a lot worse, but it got better over time.
Edit: This was about the dev versions of the browsers out now, but still http://www.ghacks.net/2014/01/02/chrome-34-firefox-29-internet-explorer-11-memory-use-2014/
If Firefox uses stupid amount of RAM, your addons are probably at fault.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seriously, when is the last time you used Firefox? You sound like you harbor some years-old grudge against it for some reason. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be

As a former Firefox user ... who switched from IE:

Why did Firefox sucks so bad for a while ?
I never wanted to switch away from Firefox.
I was very unimpressed.

I understand Firefox has improved itself since then ... but I am having a hard time trusting Firefox again.

I think the last version of Firefox I like was Firefox 3.

I used to do the Firefox betas for a while because I liked FF so much.

The only fox I like now are these ones.
tumblr_lyts3zQvTZ1r437k3o1_500.jpg

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As a former Firefox user ... who switched from IE:

Why did Firefox sucks so bad for a while ?
I never wanted to switch away from Firefox.
I was very unimpressed.

I understand Firefox has improved itself since then ... but I am having a hard time trusting Firefox again.

I think the last version of Firefox I like was Firefox 3.

I used to do the Firefox betas for a while because I liked FF so much.

The only fox I like now are these ones.
tumblr_lyts3zQvTZ1r437k3o1_500.jpg
It was bad because after a while things kept being added to it and it became slower and more memory-hogging over time. Eventually they realized this and started trimming it down, and it's much better now than it used to be.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Apparently I was on v28 when I took that screenshot and then when I actually upgraded to v29 it appeared that awful Chrome-bs design so I decided to go back to v28.

v28 is only 6 weeks old so Mozilla seriously needs to stop with these unnecessary updates all the time.

Hell there's already a Beta v30 out for those that want to use it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Apparently I was on v28 when I took that screenshot and then when I actually upgraded to v29 it appeared that awful Chrome-bs design so I decided to go back to v28.

v28 is only 6 weeks old so Mozilla seriously needs to stop with these unnecessary updates all the time.

The update schedule has been every 6 weeks for quite a while now. This method has several advantages for development. And the beta is always 1 version ahead of stable, Aurora is 2 versions ahead and Nightly is 3 versions ahead. Nightly is on v32 now. An update just marks the point where Beta shifts to release, Aurora switches to Beta, Nightly switches to Aurora and Nightly gets a new version number.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

It's not because it looks useless to consumers that it actually is. There were about 10-15 potential security issues fixed, the html5 gamepad api was given an update to follow the standards, input types color and number were implemented and some css prefixes were removed as they now follow the standard as well.

Since HTML moved from "releases" (1, 2, 3, 4, X, 5, ...) to a living standard continuously being developed there will practically ALWAYS be something new to implement or update. This will make the web evolve more rapidly than before. We don't want to be stuck with Flash for another 10 years, I think.

Following your train of thought, cars wouldn't need more secure locks, more economical engines, air conditioning or navigation either. After all it sort of locks, drives, has windows to open and there's always paper maps and traffic signs to navigate with, right?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It's not because it looks useless to consumers that it actually is. There were about 10-15 potential security issues fixed, the html5 gamepad api was given an update to follow the standards, input types color and number were implemented and some css prefixes were removed as they now follow the standard as well.

Since HTML moved from "releases" (1, 2, 3, 4, X, 5, ...) to a living standard continuously being developed there will practically ALWAYS be something new to implement or update. This will make the web evolve more rapidly than before. We don't want to be stuck with Flash for another 10 years, I think.

Following your train of thought, cars wouldn't need more secure locks, more economical engines, air conditioning or navigation either. After all it sort of locks, drives, has windows to open and there's always paper maps and traffic signs to navigate with, right?

Those seem like very useful updates indeed but giving Firefox a Chrome look is a radical change which was unnecessary and even if they wanted to implement they could've made it optional, because not everyone would want it.

By the way, cars can have better locks but even if the thief wants to break in then it doesn't take much as smashing the window in or whatever other method he'd use.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Finally using Firefox v29 with Classic Theme Restorer and for the most part it's pretty much the same as I had it before, but this time I hope that the Home Button no longer decided to randomly change places any more.

I do wish I could turn the menu bar and all to grey again, well, oh well it's fine the way it is currently so no biggie.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I ran the OS updates and with it came the firefox update. There are some things I have on muscle memory that I keep finding myself reaching for, however I reckon having a long address bar again is good-- I did used to have the address bar on a separate line but between that and the double height task bar it looked a bit silly on a 1080p screen.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Well I ran the OS updates and with it came the firefox update. There are some things I have on muscle memory that I keep finding myself reaching for, however I reckon having a long address bar again is good-- I did used to have the address bar on a separate line but between that and the double height task bar it looked a bit silly on a 1080p screen.

install this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/omnibar/ it puts url and search bar in to one!

and you can than config to how you like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol